Windows XP

Welcome tot CFC. Civ 2 works fine on xp. You might notice some problems after installing...missing indeo drivers....but on the forum of cfc you can find help with this issue. If you have other problems just try to find it in the forums and if not mentioned just ask and somebody will try to help you.

It probably will, I have Window's XP Service Pack 2 (I had service pack one and still played Civilization III)

It didn't work on XP for me, I had to buy a new game (lucky enough that it was being sold cheaply as a "classic game"

It worked fine in Windows XP for me, too.

Civ2 II worked in Windows XP for me first time.

Civ ToT did not work on one computer, but it worked on a
later computer with presumably a later version of XP.
Occasionally I get crashing errors (save corrupted), but that is
with maximum work loading options selected and well into game

Although not created for or "certified" for XP, CivII will work fine with default settings. One thing to be wary about is your video drivers. CivII uses WinG and Indeo drivers, which it tries to update itself but you can download and update yourself.

For these and other technical questions there is a Tech Support forum available. Realize that the forum is not staffed by Microprose or Firaxis or any other vendor staff; also realize that "nothing is new under the sun", your question has probably already been asked and answered a few times in the past (this game is over 10 years old). Expand your thread list to a few months and scan the titles, and when you do post please use a descriptive subject rther than "Help" or "Busted".

The best thread on dealing with XP issues was this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=20703

I don't tink I ever heard of that setting fixing Civ2, but in case you ever need it for sometihng else: Right-click on the Civ2 shortcut and go to properties. You'll find a Compatiblity tab there where you can choose a number of compatibility options.

thanks merc. and thanks for no one complaining that i sort of hijacked the thread a bit :mischief:

My main version is from the first year and I've the Scenarios and Fantastic Worlds add-on. They work fine with WinXP without any patches or something like that.

woah ..... what? what does that mean? that i can make windows think it is win95 for the sake of a game? how do i do that? (on XP)

Just go into the Microprose folder and right click on Civ2.exe and then open the properties window. In there, you'll find stuff like win95 compatible and 256 colors and you're home free.

I use a win 98 machine, but my civ2 disk says XP right on it.

Ironically, I was playing the Civ 2 World War II scenario when I saw this thread again. Putting it in Win 95 compatible mode was all that I had to do to get it to work.

Never had problems with II in XP. The nice thing about it is that if I recall correctly, the Civ II installer was made long before the "administrative privileges" nonsense, so one could theoretically install it with regular powers on an XP machine. I've found that was at least the case with Civ I.

I'm more concerned about whether Civ II will work on Vista though...:confused:

Top Bottom