[BNW] [WIP] Mod - Civilizations of Gielinor (Runescape overhaul and military focused mod)

Aquupea

Chieftain
Hi, this is a mod I've been working on that not only encompasses the rich lore of the world of Runescape, but also vastly expands on military tactics and strategies. Here are the current features:

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.48.55 AM.png

Civilizations

Asgarnia, lead by Amik Varze
Cities: Falador, Burthope, Sarim, Entrana, Rimmington, Eastbridge, Lina, Raddallin, Donblas, Crystalmere...

• Trait: White Walls of Farradorn - Leadership units grant 20% bonus strength. Forts produce +2 Culture and +1 production. Recieves one extra spy.
  • Unit: Temple Recon - Replaces Skirmisher; extra sight
  • Building: Ordo Templis Saradominis - Exclusive wonder. Grants all units increased flanking strength; constabularies produce additional science.
  • Gameplay - Highly strategic and tactical focused civ
Forinthry, lead by Azzanadra
Cities: Senntisten, Paddewwa, Kharyll, Lassar, Carrallanger, Dareeyak, Annakarl, Ghorrock, Onkhara, Silvarea...

• Trait: Children of Mah - Start the game with several Mahjarrat ancients. Upon researching Magic, citadels grant adjacent units strength, and gain bonus strength vs civs with more cities.
  • Unit: Ancient - Fairly weak and expensive mage unit that gains access to four exclusive promos as it levels up: Ice attuned (bonus damage vs melee), Blood attuned (heal adjacent allies), Smoke attuned (resistance vs ranged), Shadow attuned (terrify nearby enemies)
  • Unit: Ripper Assassin - Replaces Skirmisher; fairly weak but massive damage on attack
  • Gameplay - Revolves around keeping the few but powerful Ancient units alive and using them to lead armies
Morytania, lead by Drakan
Cities: Darkmeyer, Meiyerditch, Phasmatys, Canifis, Mort'ton, Ver Sinhaza, Burgh de Rott, Slepe, Flamtaer, Cave Canem...

• Trait: Blood Tithes - Melee units heal massively upon killing a unit, or inside enemy territory. Citadels grant science and food.
  • Unit: Vyre - Replaces swordsman. Massive increase in strength when attacking wounded enemies.
  • Building: Theatre of Blood - Replaces Zoo. Grants happiness and culture.
  • Gameplay - A bloodthirsty civ that wants to expand rapidly not only to sate its military, but to expand in science and culture
Kourend, lead by Rada I
Cities: Great Kourend, Shayzien, Arceuus, Lovakengj, Hosidius, Piscarilius, Molch, Lacerta, Land's End, Crabclaw...

• Trait: Five Houses of Zeah - Gain access to 5 unique buildings: Shayzien barracks, Arceuus library, Lovakite forge, Hosidius granary, Piscarilius fishery. Each House building is synergistic with other House Buildingss (eg Shayzien barracks grant happiness to all other house buildings)
  • Unit: Reanimator - replaces druid; has necromancy promotion.
  • Unit: Lovakite Tower - replaces trebuchet; each turn, for every allied adjacent unit, the tower will sap their health to heal itself. Powerful and unstoppable unit when supported by undead.
  • Gameplay - Uses its strong infrastructure to produce large amount of fodder for its towers.
Misthalin, lead by Roald III
Cities: Varrock, Lumbridge, Draynor, Edgeville, Paterdomus, St. Elspeth, Barrowstown, Remanis, Constantius, Caistlyn...

• Trait: Arravian Fervor - Damaged units fight as if theyre full health. Defeated barbarians have a chance to be converted. Unit health to damage modifier in this mod is changed from 50% to 90%. Looking to add more depth to this trait.
  • Unit: Priestly Warrior - replaces longswordsman. Can attack twice per turn; ignores zone of control.
  • Building: Temple of Paterdomus - exclusive wonder; river tiles in the city produce +2 faith and +1 culture, and provides the Great Wall effect.
  • Gameplay - Defensive civilization that has a powerful lategame
The Menaphites, lead by Senliten
Cities: Menaphos, Sophanem, Uzer, Ullek, Nardah, Pollivneach, Kharid-et, Jaleustrophos, Shantay, Al Kharid...

• Trait: Catolax's Legacy - When a unit begins its turn on Remains, it generates XP and science. Bonuses doubled after researching Slayer. Remains has a 25% chance of being consumed this way.
  • Unit: Kharidian Ugthanki - Skirmish unit. Bonus damage vs wounded, and can chop forests.
  • Unit: Devourer - Long range and powerful mage unit. Must set up before attacking. If empowered by Remains, it gains Indirect Fire temporarily.
  • Gameplay - Use ugthankis and other protective units to set up devastating devourer barrages.
Karamja, lead by Timfraku
Cities: Shilo, Tai Bwo Wannai, Brimhaven, Musa, Kharazi, Rantuki, Cairn, Ah Za Rhoon, Yommi, Viyeldi...

• Trait: Mana of the Gara-Dul - Flanking attacks increased by 50%. When a faith unit is purchased, all enemy units in a 6-tile radius is damaged by 10. Broodoo victims take double damage at double range (and are cleansed of the Broodoo curse).
  • Unit: Witch Doctor - Replaces druid. Carries the Broodoo Curse, a promotion that removes terrain defensive bonuses and reduces healing. Each turn, adjacent units (enemies or yours) to the carrier, will gain this promotion. Can build hardwood groves, providing faith from jungles.
  • Unit: Kharazi Warrior - basic melee unit that has Heavy Charge and Woodsman.
  • Gameplay - Use the Broodoo Curse to weaken enemy forces, and defeat them in a battle of attrition.
Kandarin, lead by Ulthas
Cities: Ardounge, Yanille, Hemenster, Catherby, Witchaven, Piscatoris, Tyras, Ourania, Ikov, Le Faye...

• Trait: Kandarinian Sovereignty - Military units stationed on Trading Posts will claim adjacent unowned land, at a Gold cost increasing based on distance from the nearest city. Trade Route maximum increased by 50%.
  • Unit: Paladin - Replaces heavy skirmisher. Powerful and mobile unit, that gains extra strength in friendly territory.
  • Unit: Tyras Catapult - Siege unit with bonus range.
  • Gameplay - Expansive, influential civ that uses paladins to very effectively defend its lands.
Yu'Biusk, lead by Zarador
Cities: Gu'Tanoth, Oo'glog, Goltholglor, Trollheim, Jiggig, Thrasghdak, Verotark, Drogish-Kaan, Thorobs-Kaan, Azkragthog...

• Trait: Commandments of Bandos - Melee units deal extra damage to foritifed units, and to cities. Recieve a free Shaman upon discovering Herblore. When a Great Person is spawned, all units gain +3 Movement for that turn.
  • Unit: Interceptor - Basic melee unit that can traverse through rough terrain, and is not weak to flying units.
  • Unit: Kyzaj Champion - Military melee unit, replacing Great General. At the start of each turn, Kyzaj Champion gains +10% combat strength for each adjacent allied unit. Can be trained, but not purchased.
  • Gameplay - A melee focused civ that uses brute force to tear down enemies.
The Fremenniks, lead by Gunnar
Cities: Rellekka, Neitiznot, Jatizso, Gunnarsgrunn, Miscellania, Etceteria, Waterbirth, Vudisor, Bukalla...

• Trait: Blood Runs Deep - Melee units can build the Outpost improvement, which damages adjacent enemies and grants allies strength. Can be built outside of friendly lands, and will connect luxury/strategic resources. Upon discovering Runecrafting, units gain immense combat strength near outposts.
  • Unit: Crusader - Basic melee unit. Pillage at no cost. Can build Outposts.
  • Unit: Dagannoth Hunter - Naval melee unit that increases movement of embarked units.
  • Expansive civ that builds multiple outposts in far away lands before invading enemies through them.
Tirannwn, lead by Baxtorian
Cities: Prifddinas, Lleyta, Arandar, Iowerth, Cadarn, Trahearn, Ithell, ...

• Trait: Light of a Thousand Crystals - Great People improvements provide +2 Culture. Military units will gain XP equal to double the culture yield of the tile they are stationed on, each turn (capped at 80 XP).
  • Unit: Crystal Bowman - Slightly stronger ranged unit.
  • Unit: Hefin Monk - Will heal adjacent units each turn equal to 25% of current culture output (capped).
  • Uses culture as an active secondary resource to improve the effectiveness of its troops
Planned civs
The Gnomes, lead by Healthorg
Cities: Ta Quir Priw, Arposandra, Priw Gnomo Andralo, Atarisundri, Gandiusandra, Kai-Undri...

• Trait: ???
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??
Hallowvale, lead by Efaritay
Cities: Hallowvale, Ver Sinhaza, The Burgh, Humblethorn, Hallowglade, Barrowstown, Salve, Avarrocka, Ascertes, Mort'ton...

• Unit - Priest of Saradomin - When on a tile with Remains (a resource that has a chance to spawn when units are damaged/killed), it will bury the remains to gain +1 CS. On death, it will grant faith and buff adjacent units based on its CS.
  • ??
  • ??
Al Kharid, lead by Shah
Cities: Al Kharid, Ullek, Uzer, Kharid-et, Pollivneach...

• ??
  • ??
  • ??
Crandor
Cities: Crandor

• Trait: Venice
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??

Units

Several basic units have also been modified; a 'combat triangle' has been implemented:
  • Melee units greatly resist ranged units
  • Ranged units deal massive damage to flying and magic units
  • Magic units are slow, but deal massive damage to melee units
  • Skirmish (Mounted) units are fast but weak against melee units
In addition, the following units are available to all civs:
  • Monk - Support civilian unit that heals adjacent units
  • Druid - Support unit that grants adjacent units strength
  • Shaman - Support unit that grants adjacent units thick smoke, vastly reducing damage taken from bombards
  • Necromancer - Converts low health adjacent units into undead (reduced health regen, but greatly healed by necromancer each turn). Unlocked only through the 'Lord of Chaos' belief.
  • Warder - Support unit that vastly buffs the attack of adjacent skirmish and ranged units
  • Flyer/Greater Flyer - Flying units that are devastating against melee, but easily taken down by ranged and mages
  • Multicannon - Powerful, long range siege unit
  • Kelda Tank - Powerful armored unit that can remove forests, and cross mountains

Other
  • Religious beliefs are completely overhauled to follow Runescape lore.
  • Techs are overhauled to follow Runescape skills (ie Magic, Construction, Herblore). Eras are divided into 5 ages; the most advanced units are Steampunk (dwarven/gnome) themed units such as the Multicannon and Airships.
  • The end of the Tech tree is a tech called 'The Cataclysm'. When discovered, the God Wars is unleashed, and all civs that are not friends declare war on each other. The devastation will cause all techs of all civs to reset, restarting the researching cycle. Allows obsolete units to become useful, but can be tuned if this effect is too obnoxious.
  • Researching the tech 'Questing' allows the training of Adventurers - these units can travel around the map to complete random quests that appear in cities, natural features, and city-states, and will grant influence, gold, XP, and unique promotions upon completion.
  • The following Wonders are added: Grand Exchange, Cooks' Guild, Warriors' Guild, Druidic Circle, Legends' Guild, Slayer Tower, Ranging Guild, Citharede Abbey, Duel Arena
  • Policies are slightly modified to match the culture of races of RS - Honor references vampyres, piety references ogres, patronage references demons, aesthetics references elven, commerce dwarves, exploration gnomes, and rationalism dorgeshuun. Ideologies are divided between Order, Balance, and Chaos.
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.47.34 AM.png

To do
  • AI improvement - very important, especially in a military focused mod
  • Art - portraits for units, buildings, leaders, etc
  • Scenes for Leader diplomacy screens
  • Models - for unique units and others
  • Overhaul science victory - Possibly tie to Questing, and requires specific techs to be obtained only from certain quest locations. Can be related to Daemonheim dig, building the World Gate, or building the Godsword
  • Summoning - The Summoner unit has very unique abilities, for example - Ghast Summoner: Decays 10 HP each turn. When 50 HP or lower, this unit will lifesteal from all adjacent enemies.
  • Expand Adventurers - possibly add equipment/inventory, spells, etc
Would love to hear feedback/initial thoughts, and I am also open to anyone who wishes to collaborate on this project

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.56.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.56.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-11 at 5.05.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.33.41 PM.png

Last edited:
I've theorycrafted on this, but never came through since I wasn't playing Runescape anymore. For Culture policies, I'd recommend using the same old normal trees with the vanilla emphasis onto Magic, Herblore, Construction, Diplomacy(City-States), Prayer, etc. For ideology, you can then opt for the alignments of Order, Balance, and Chaos.

You have a lot to do, I'd recommend placeholders first before you decide to stop working on it again forever.

I've theorycrafted on this, but never came through since I wasn't playing Runescape anymore. For Culture policies, I'd recommend using the same old normal trees with the vanilla emphasis onto Magic, Herblore, Construction, Diplomacy(City-States), Prayer, etc. For ideology, you can then opt for the alignments of Order, Balance, and Chaos.

You have a lot to do, I'd recommend placeholders first before you decide to stop working on it again forever.

Haha I'm glad you remembered my first post that I made.

Everything Ive listed above has already been fully coded and implemented, but I do want to know if there appears to be any glaring balance issues/gameplay flaws that I should address.

Oh, the nostalgia XD. Played this game so much. Wasted a load of money too lol.

Anyway, ambitious project! Think you're gonna have some trouble with creating a decent city list. Maybe an idea is to expand the list by using 'New... (city name)', e.g. New Varrock, New Falador. Beats any random city name.

Don't really have anything useful to add regarding balance, because you're basically introducing a new/edited combat system. It's hard to say just looking at the traits. I'm personally not a huge fan of traits that basically add more uniques, but that's just me. It depends on what the uniques do I suppose! The Hefin Monk might become OP in late game, as your culture hits high numbers. Also, regarding the trait Arravian Fervor, consider adding a conversion chance if that's possible, because 100% conversion of barbarians probably makes it very easy to grow an army. But then again, maybe that's okay in this combat system. You'll probably know best.

Getting art might be hard. I don't think that even now the in-game models will suffice for the leaderscreens and such, although they will probably work for icons. Maybe there's concept art or fan art you can use.

At any rate, good luck with this project, hope it'll come to fruition.

Oh, the nostalgia XD. Played this game so much. Wasted a load of money too lol.

Anyway, ambitious project! Think you're gonna have some trouble with creating a decent city list. Maybe an idea is to expand the list by using 'New... (city name)', e.g. New Varrock, New Falador. Beats any random city name.

Don't really have anything useful to add regarding balance, because you're basically introducing a new/edited combat system. It's hard to say just looking at the traits. I'm personally not a huge fan of traits that basically add more uniques, but that's just me. It depends on what the uniques do I suppose! The Hefin Monk might become OP in late game, as your culture hits high numbers. Also, regarding the trait Arravian Fervor, consider adding a conversion chance if that's possible, because 100% conversion of barbarians probably makes it very easy to grow an army. But then again, maybe that's okay in this combat system. You'll probably know best.

Getting art might be hard. I don't think that even now the in-game models will suffice for the leaderscreens and such, although they will probably work for icons. Maybe there's concept art or fan art you can use.

At any rate, good luck with this project, hope it'll come to fruition.

Surprisingly, city names are generally not a problem; Ive came up with quite a decent list of names for all civs (and city-states) from searching for the most obscure pieces of lore in the RS wiki.

As for the trait uniques, most of these are placeholders because I'm a little short on ideas for good traits, hence a lot of copy-pastes from vanilla civs :p
When I do come up with better trait ideas, I'll probably move the uniques to other areas (ie building Outposts as a special bonus of the Crusader, Clan District XP effect moved to luxury improvements).

Last edited:
Made some modifications to some of the traits to the civs, hoping that they are more interesting without being overpowered

Top Bottom