[WIP]The Middle Ages

Kushan

Warlord
The “mod” is a combination of different scenarios set in during the Middle Ages, with each starting point being at a key point in history. Each one is unique, covering a different area or era. It will be for CivIV: Warlords, I have no pl;ans to do a version for vanilla CivIV.

I try to make my scenarios as historically accurate as possible, BUT some liberties have/will been taken to make for a more balanced and fun game. Each scenario will also have its own game concept changes.

The initial four scenarios will be:
- Europe 768AD – The Rise of Charlemagne
- Europe 843AD – The Division of Charlemagne’s Empire
- Europe 1095AD – The Crusades
- The Spanish Reconquista

NOTE: I have some ideas for a few more scenarios, but they depend on how well the initial 4 are recieved and my level fo commitment to other modding projects.

NOTE: I know that some of these scenarios have already been done, but I will do them anyway :p

Code:
[B]General Changes[/B] [B]([I]These changes apply to all scenarios[/I]):[/B]
- Changed unit combat types to the following types.
	- Melee
	- Formation
	- Light Mounted
	- Heavy Mounted
- Implement Dales Combat mod (When he converts it to Warlords), with a variation of the regiments mod
- Various historical events (both random and set occurances) 
- Civilizations splitting & leader changes during the scenario. (Maybe)

NOTE: I will need a scripter for the last two, as I have no scripting experience.

Kushan

OVERVIEW:
This scenario starts after the death of Charlemagne’s son, Louis the Pious. At the start of the scenario the Frankish Empire has been divided amongst Charlemagne’s grandsons, Lothair I, Louis the German, and Charles the Bald. Your goal is to lead one of these three monarchs to victory, through both conquest and diplomacy. However your brothers are not the only problem you will have to deal with. To the north the Vikings, Norseman in French, are readying themselves for an assault on Europe. In Spain, the Moors, although defeated at the Battle of Tours over 100 years ago, still look to your realm for expansion. And all around you are small independent kingdoms and monarchs, who may look to you for leadership…..or conquest.

This scenario is the "successor" in some ways to the CivIII: Conquest scenario.

HISTORY:
The year is 843AD and the Treaty of Verdun has just been signed, splitting Charlemagne’s empire amongst his 3 grandsons. It is seen as the beginning of the dissolution of his empire, but it was in fact keeping with the idea of partible inheritance, rather then inheritance by the eldest son.

When Louis the Pious died in 840 AD, his eldest son, Lothair (Lothar) I claimed lordship over his brother’ kingdoms and supported the claim of his nephew Pepin II as King of Aquitaine. After his brothers, Louis the German and Charles the Bald, defeated him in the Battle of Fontenay (841 AD) and sealed their alliance with the Oath of Strasbourg (842 AD), Lothair was willing to negotiate.

Each of the brothers already has an established kingdom – Lothair in Italy, Louis the German in Bavaria, and Charles the Bald in Aquitaine. Lothair received the central portion of the empire, what became the Low Countries, Lorraine, Alsace, Burgundy, Provence, and Italy, and the imperial title as an honor without any real over lordship. Louis the German received the eastern portion, what became Germany, through the Holy Roman Empire. Charles the Bald received all the lands west of the Rhone River, what was called the Western Frankish Realm.

RELIGION:
Religion will represent influence. It represents both blood lines (family members) and emissaries in foreign courts. If a foreign power adopts your "religion" then one of your family members/emissaries has secured the loyalty of that civilization.

CULTURE:
Culture will be changed to represent areas of control. During the Middle Ages, monarchs didn’t often have direct control over their entire realm. It was divided into fiefs/titles and these were distributed to minor lords who thus divided their lands amongst their knight, thus you get the feudal system. Most civilizations will be split into the major fiefs that existed at the time, being a vassal to the central ruler (being the player). As the central monarch you will have a limited area under your direct control and thus will have to work to A: Centralize you own authority, going to war with your vassals for their land or B: Taking new lands for your self.

Top Bottom