Wiping out another religion

dashwinner

Prince
Quick question regarding religion...

I finished a game last night as the Ottomans (hadn't touched them since Vanilla, pleasantly surprised!). I managed to quickly spread my religion across the whole continent, bar a couple of Austrian cities on the other side which soon went down to the Germans. After unifying/pacifying said continent, leaving germany a crappy little city in the tundra and liberating a small Austrian city (Graz) for research agreement purposes, i sent an inquisitor to Vienna to get rid of the last remnant of Austria's religion. At that point, every single city on my continent followed my religion, even Austria's small resurected city. 2 dozen or so turns later, i see a austria great prophet make his way back to (my) Viena to convert it back...

Question is. How did Austria manage to do that if every single city, including Graz, followed my religion?

If they pop a Great Prophet I understand it is the religion of the Holy City even if it has been converted. However, I didn't know that it happened if it was a non holy city (which I am assuming Graz is).

yup, Vienna was their holy city, and i used a inquisitor to totally remove their religion from Vienna AND remove the holy city status. They had no more holy city...

yup, Vienna was their holy city, and i used a inquisitor to totally remove their religion from Vienna AND remove the holy city status. They had no more holy city...

There's no such thing as removing the holy city status. There's also only a single holy city.

You removed ALL followers of Vienna's religion, but it still exerts basic holy city pressure on Vienna. the only way to fight it is to have more pressure coming in from surrounding cities to surpass the amount of pressure Vienna is producing. Eventually Vienna's majority religion will be the one of the Holy City's original religion.

Has nothing to do with Vienna's Holy City status. If Austria generates a Great Prophet in any city (here, Graz), it will be a GPr of the religion in originally founded.

Yes, you have to completely conquer a civ in order to prevent them from spawning great prophets, you can't leave them with a single city. It's not horribly hard to deal with though, just keep an inquisitor handy (you should have one anyway), and hound the great prophet off the continent, or just surround it with units and then use an inquisitor to clear their religion out again.

If you RAZE the holy city (probably not possible) would that do it?

If you RAZE the holy city (probably not possible) would that do it?

As far as I know the chances of the Holy City being in a diffrent city other than capital are extremly. extremly slim, for one, you lose your Prophet if you move him away (Cannot found a religion once a Prophet is moved).

Sure you can. I have moved my prophet to another city before to found a religion in a strategically more interesting position.

Two ways if you don't want to wipe out their last city:

1. After converting Vienna build an Inquisitor and park it nearby. If they later convert it then you use the Inquistor to remove their religion.

2. When you see Great Prophets (or missionaries) headed your way block them with units. Even workers will work.

Has nothing to do with Vienna's Holy City status. If Austria generates a Great Prophet in any city (here, Graz), it will be a GPr of the religion in originally founded.

Yeah, this was basically the answer to my question. i wasn't sure about it. I thought they would be of the religion of the city they were spawned in.

There's no such thing as removing the holy city status. There's also only a single holy city.

You removed ALL followers of Vienna's religion, but it still exerts basic holy city pressure on Vienna. the only way to fight it is to have more pressure coming in from surrounding cities to surpass the amount of pressure Vienna is producing. Eventually Vienna's majority religion will be the one of the Holy City's original religion.

Wrong. If you use an inquisitor on a captured enemy holy city, their religion will NOT regenerate. Try it.

As far as I know the chances of the Holy City being in a diffrent city other than capital are extremly. extremly slim, for one, you lose your Prophet if you move him away (Cannot found a religion once a Prophet is moved).

Wrong again. You can found your religion in any city you want as long as you didnt USE your prophet for anything else... It just makes more sense to do it in the capital

Thanks for all the answers though.

Wrong. If you use an inquisitor on a captured enemy holy city, their religion will NOT regenerate. Try it.

In my current game I wiped out Every follower of Islam in the world via prophets / inquis / razing cities with it, the founder was eliminated from the game, I prophet bombed the holy city after I puppeted it, the holy city tag dissapeared, the holy city was surrounded by cities of My religion, and after awhile it STILL came back!

This was on marathon so perhaps you have not seen it because of not playing enough turns for the pressure to catch up but a captured enemy holy city WILL regenerate the religion after being inquis/prophet bombed.

Edit: This was very annoying btw lol. I ended up re-removing it every now and then because it just irked my ocd side :)

In my current game I wiped out Every follower of Islam in the world via prophets / inquis / razing cities with it, the founder was eliminated from the game, I prophet bombed the holy city after I puppeted it, the holy city tag dissapeared, the holy city was surrounded by cities of My religion, and after awhile it STILL came back!

This was on marathon so perhaps you have not seen it because of not playing enough turns for the pressure to catch up but a captured enemy holy city WILL regenerate the religion after being inquis/prophet bombed.

Edit: This was very annoying btw lol. I ended up re-removing it every now and then because it just irked my ocd side :)

Prophet bombing does not remove Holy City status. It wipes out the followers, but holy city internal pressure will reassert itself. To eliminate Holy City status, you need to capture the city and wipe it with an inquisitor.

Of course, if there are other cities of that religion nearby, normal city-to-city pressure will cause some followers to reappear in the former holy city (just like in any other city), but the special holy city internal pressure will not return.

Browd,

Hmm ok now I am questioning my memory, perhaps I only used a prophet and not an inquis but I could have sworn I did both.

The prophet Does remove the Holy City Tag, should that not be the same thing as inquis?

Gonna have to try it again.

Yeah, we can add that to a long list of "should be"s in the game, but for now Inquisitors appear to have one power that Great Prophets do not have -- stamping out holy city status.

Since you wrote "I prophet bombed the holy city after I puppeted it...", I kinda took that as face value. :)

But memory's a tricky thing and, well, not sure I can help much there. Maybe ginkgo biloba? :crazyeye:

Yeah, we can add that to a long list of "should be"s in the game, but for now Inquisitors appear to have one power that Great Prophets do not have -- stamping out holy city status.

Since you wrote "I prophet bombed the holy city after I puppeted it...", I kinda took that as face value. :)

But memory's a tricky thing and, well, not sure I can help much there. Maybe ginkgo biloba? :crazyeye:

I confirm this to be true :)

In my experience, it's not possible to completely eliminate a religion once it's been founded. You can suppress it to the point of irrelevance using inquisitors and GPs, but it's not possible to remove it from the game under normal circumstances. The religion always pops back up (though it may take dozens of turns) in its original city. I'm not sure what would happen if, say, you razed the city during a OCC game. That might be interesting to try.

there is a difference between a religion being present in a city and Holy City status. Let's say you are battling a well-entrenched religion and capture its holy city. When you mouse hover over the city screen, it says Holy City for (say) Buddhism and X followers with 72 pressure (+30 internal pressure from the holy city and +42 from 7 cities in range (7 x 6 = 42)).

You then use an inquisitor to stamp out those followers and the holy city status. After doing that, it may say your religion is the only religion in the city, with (say) 30 pressure (your religion has 5 cities in range). Roll forward some number of turns and you start to see followers reappear in the former holy city, with 42 pressure. Then a few more, still 42 pressure, then some more with 48 pressure (another city within 10 tiles), and you're fuming: "I thought I stamped out that religion".

But as those followers reappear, the Holy City status does not reappear. No +30 internal pressure. What's happening is normal city pressure at that point.

One time in a multiplayer game my capital got converted to another religion, and I think my capital was the holy city for my religion.So I started buying missionaries to convert it back, and it wasn't getting my religion back to the majority.Eventually I came to the conclusion that since my cap had been converted when I bought missionaries they were for the other religion, and every time I used a missionary it was only making it worse!

I don't know, maybe the holy city wasn't my capital, but I'm pretty sure it was.

If your city (holy city or another city) is converted to another religion, do NOT buy a missionary or inquisitor in that city. Any missionary or inquisitor you buy in a city has has the "wrong" majority religion will have that other religion.

Top Bottom