Wireless Internet Q's?

Dabomb18359

Link Has Become A Jedi
Well I recently bought one of those wireless cards for my laptop because it doesn't have one built-in (which I like and dislike). Here are some of my questions.

1. At my friends house, he has dial-up. When I took my laptop I took my wireless card for the heck of it and his neighbour or someone had a wireless connection without a password (1 in the kitchen area, 2 in his bedroom) but it's an apartment complex so there are more surrounding people. I got on both of them successfully I think (1 I know of) but my friend has a computer so my wireless thing won't go into his computer. I was wondering, what's the point of getting the wireless one specifically for the computer or laptop when the USB one is available? (which should work on both) But if my friend or I got the USB one would he be able to use it and jack his neighbours internet?

2. Also, if there is a simple 128-bit or 64-bit encryption is there any way to get past it without knowing the password?

3. Here at my house we have a wireless router but when I go to my room there is also a "Hidden Network" sometimes. It will only let me try to connect if I know the name though, which doesn't appear. Once though it had mine, the hidden one, and NETGEAR as one and the last two have like a red circle with the dash through it symbol. So when I changed the name of the hidden network to NETGEAR it let me try to connect, but now when NETGEAR isn't there either I can't connect or type in NETGEAR. Know why?

Dabomb18359 said:
Well I recently bought one of those wireless cards for my laptop because it doesn't have one built-in (which I like and dislike). Here are some of my questions.

1. At my friends house, he has dial-up. When I took my laptop I took my wireless card for the heck of it and his neighbour or someone had a wireless connection without a password (1 in the kitchen area, 2 in his bedroom) but it's an apartment complex so there are more surrounding people. I got on both of them successfully I think (1 I know of) but my friend has a computer so my wireless thing won't go into his computer. I was wondering, what's the point of getting the wireless one specifically for the computer or laptop when the USB one is available? (which should work on both) But if my friend or I got the USB one would he be able to use it and jack his neighbours internet?
Yes he would... until he got found out. Those neighbours will probably wonder why their bandwidth is being stolen. As for why get a PC or laptop when you could get USB - not all machines have USB 2.0 ports with their fancy speeds.

Dabomb18359 said:
2. Also, if there is a simple 128-bit or 64-bit encryption is there any way to get past it without knowing the password?

Yes. Just roll the data through a supercomputer to get all the possible combinations and look for ones that contain English.

Dabomb18359 said:
3. Here at my house we have a wireless router but when I go to my room there is also a "Hidden Network" sometimes. It will only let me try to connect if I know the name though, which doesn't appear. Once though it had mine, the hidden one, and NETGEAR as one and the last two have like a red circle with the dash through it symbol. So when I changed the name of the hidden network to NETGEAR it let me try to connect, but now when NETGEAR isn't there either I can't connect or type in NETGEAR. Know why?

I'm not sure... maybe someone was guesting a friend to use their network and you stumbled across the facility. The friend can't get in, questions what is going on and now your little loophole is closed.

I advise you; don't get into datacrime. You will get caught.

Dabomb18359 said:
Yes, assuming you use just WEP-Encryption it's unsafe. There are several security holes in the implementation so that someone that listens a while to your encrypted traffic will be able to reconstruct the password. If you use WPA you should be ok, AFAIK there have been no known holes yet.

If you configure your wireless net you can enable or disable SSID-Broadcast. If you disable it, only people who know the name of your net will be able to conect. If it's enabled everybody in range will see your net. this adds a minimum of security but not more.

Also, what is datacrime.

And if someone has wireless that is roaming along and reaches you is it against the law to take what's in the air?

Datacrime; criminal use of computers and networks.

Whether or not what you do is datacrime depends on the local laws you operate under.

EDIT: Like, if you get caught with a Bluetooth phone in some countries, you can be arrested for it. Even if it's not turned on.

Dabomb18359 said:
Also, what is datacrime.

And if someone has wireless that is roaming along and reaches you is it against the law to take what's in the air?
Hijack mine and you'll get a lot more than free internet... hope you have an industrial strength virus protection and a good harddrive backup... ;)

Seriously, it is THEFT to steal someone else's paid for bandwidth. And as I implied, if you steal someone's who knows what they are doing beware of hidden dangers...and btw there are ways to trace where that signal is going...and who is connected. And logs are usually admittable evidence in most court of laws in the world...

Top Bottom