Wishing for three traits for all leaders

snipafist

Prince
Why? I feel it makes for a more well-rounded game with more unique combinations of traits, and the possibility of the same leader exploring different facets of his abilities. And it gives a more well-rounded representation of a leader's personality. A couple suggestions of my own to get the ball rolling:

Mao: organized, philosophical, expansive
Qin: industrious, financial, protective
Churchill: charasmatic, protective, industrious
Alexander: philosophical, agressive, charismatic
Stalin: agressive, industrious, expansive
Ghandi: spiritual, philsophical, expansive
Julius Caesar: Organized, Imperial, Expansive
Augustus: Organized, Imperial, Creative
Tokugawa: Agressive, Financial, Protective
Saladin: Spiritual, Protective, Philosophical
Napoleon: Agressive, Charismatic, Industrious

And that's what I've got off the top of my head. What do you think? What would you change?

I agree about having three traits, and the traits you suggested too. Good thing adding an extra trait to each leader is really easy to mod.

I think that it would be difficult trying to argue that it'd be too overpowering when all of the leaders would have three traits.

Three traits would definitely be interesting. People often talk about synergy between traits, but if trait synergy is that important, having only one pair of traits is like having all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. Three traits would allow for more flexibility as far as exploiting the benefits of your traits goes.

Sounds like a great idea to include in an expansion.

They can throw in a handful of new civs, a handful of new leaders, some scenarios few will play (all things that can be done by modders except the leaderheads and graphics are top notch when they come from the source).

They can make some more balance/game tweaks (the kinds of things that should be in a free patch).

And they can add the code to give each leader 3 traits (should take about 4-8 total hours of coding, mostly to enhance the interfaces) (sorta like adding vassal states or a new great person type).

Then they can call it an expansion and charge everyone $30 US for it.

Wooohoooo!

i think a seafearing trait is needed, similer to what was in c3c.

perhaps this

capital city allways starts near coast
all naval units start with navigation 1
all sea food reasorces provide 1 extra food
half coast on harbors and lighthouse

2 traits is kinda a civ tradition isnt it? I havent played any Imperalistic civ but from what i see a third trait added on to that would make it even more over powered. I dont know though, like i said i havent played with any imperialisic civs.

how about (traits)
healthy
colonistic
warlord
exploring
seafraring

my ideas for 3 triats
all england leaders get colonistic

kristopherb said:
how about (traits)
healthy
colonistick
warlord
exploring
seafraring

my ideas for 3 triats
all england leaders get colonistick

Please! Its spelt "colonistic"

any world containing "colon" and "stick" is just plain wrong!!!:crazyeye: :lol:

Good idea. Makes the leaders seem alot less 2D and flat. This is after all a deep strategy game right? So things like traits should be alot more rounded. 3 seems like a good number for that.

Spanish should get colonistic as well. They colonized the new world far more than the British, though inept management forced them to lose their empire. France, Portugal and Holland had a few colonies as well.

My idea of colonistic trait:

Half-priced forbidden palace, allow to build more than one forbidden palace (standard maps or smaller: max 2, larger maps:max 3).
Every vassal state gives +1 happiness, palace generates +1 gold per vassal state city.

What pray tell, is the difference between "colonistic"(I am not sure that is a word) and Imperialistic? From what I recall the period of time when Europe went out and planted colonies anywhere they could is known as the "Age of Imperialism".

I am all for having three traits and feel it is a great idea. How about taking it one step further and adding an option to customize a leader? IE permit a player to pick two techs a UU(or a custom UU by adding advantages to existing units) and pick three traits(or however many is standard at that time) and a model for their leader. I find myself frustrated a good bit of the time by the fact that it is dang near impossible to find a civ that has something good in all three categories.

One other idea I had was offering each civ 2 unique units. Obviously no two unique units could share the same "age" to keep some variety, but I think that could also prove quite fun and feeling more "balanced".

I definately think that leaders sould all have 3 traits. 2 was just the standard for Civ 3 and vanilla Civ 4. Personally I think it would make the game more fun for me when picking leaders, since I really like financial and my choices for that are limited.

I don't like the idea of seafaring. I'd prefer the AI to try and expand their civ more if they're stuck on an island. I played the Earth 1000AD as England and did pretty well. Then I played as Mongolia and England never built any galleons. If a civ has no room left to expand (ie. on an island) then the AI should research the line to astronomy earlier. Having a seafaring trait wouldn't help this much. What makes a civ seafaring is not the leader but where the civ itself is. There's no point in having a seafaring trait if you start in the middle of a huge landmass.

Elizabeth: +Protective
Victoria: +Industrial

I don't agree with three traits per leader. With more traits, the less variability between leaders. This just sounds like people want all the bonuses.

I Like this idea actually! Maybe not the 2 UU but 3 Traits would creat more synergy like ye said

Top Bottom