1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

With all that's been added in NFP, what would you consider a 'standard' game now?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by slavaskii, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Catalytic

Catalytic Chieftain

I'm not sure there's a "standard." It's more of what settings you like since it's mostly a single player game. There really isn't a competitive scene where rules would need to be standardized like you're trying to get the highest score. Score generation in Civ 6 is kind of a poor metric anyway, IMO, since getting a higher score often means deliberately trying not to win quickly.

Anyway for me:
    -All official content enabled: RF, GS, NFP
    -Seven Seas or Continents + Islands Map, Standard size
    -Emperor difficulty
    -Disasters: 4
    -CS: Hattusa, Mohenjo-Daro, Vatican City, and Mexico City off (I just don't like their mediocre bonuses)
    -Nat Wonders: Bermuda Triangle, Fountain of Youth, Paititi, and Mt Everest off (no fantasy ones and Mt Everest is so unrewarding)
    -Shuffle Tech on

I'll occasionally overload it with +1 civ.
    I do like the Barbarian custom, but it's got its problems
    The Monopolies custom is ok, but can be game-breaking b/c the AI doesn't use it well and I frankly hate having to sacrifice GMs for corporations.
    Dramatic Ages just destroys games. Civs that get behind get so far behind so quickly they can't ever break out. Game is realistically over long before it finally ends.

Until they get some of the game modes through a few rounds of balance patching, I'm not interested.

2. Linklite

Linklite King

Honestly, there is no standard. Do what's fun for you. The only problem is when people say that x, y and z are easy or you're just bad at the game and then "forget" to disclose that they did certain things to give themselves a helping hand. Ir they complained that the game is too easy. To be clear though, it's not the helping hand that's a problem, it's the attitude.

Play it the way you want. It's your time that is being spent on it, no one else's. If you want to play a hacked game where you start off with 10 GDRs and unlimited resources because you find that fun, crack on. If you want to do the No-City Challenge, then go for it. Do what's fun for you.

My go-to game is whatever civ that I want to experiment with, an appropriate map for it, standard size, 8 civs total, SS and M&C on, possibly Barb Clans. Standard speed, RV and ScoV turned off, pickers aren't touched.

Most settings aren't sacrosanct and will be altered as needs be, but those are the most common settings.

3. snakeboy

snakeboy Chieftain

Sadly I have to agree with this. I was quite excited for Corporations, but having played around with it really doesn't bring the depth I was hoping for. My cycle with Civ 6 is always somewhat the same, and after a few games I just get frustrated with the second half drag and the tedious and meaningless micromanagagement. Corporations is then another mechanic that comes too late and offers too little to keep me enjoying till the end of a game.

Not caring for any of the other modes, and having tried most new civs, I guess my time with Civ 6 is coming to an end. It's a solid game and the entertainment value has been immense - with almost 500 hours it tops every other game I've played. Unfortunately it never reached its full potential: if only there would have been the willingness to address the mid and late game drag, improve the ai, revise some tedious systems like the Diplomacy, and add and tighten up the mechanics so that the game stays fresh and challenging even in modern ages. Regional gameplay, and the addition of fun negative modifiers later in the game is a must for a future iteration imo.

It's been fun tho, so thank you civ6!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021