Wonders biased towards the U.S.?

In Civ IV all those wonders can be yours. You only need conquest … :ar15: … If you hate some of them, again… :ar15: … and raze the cities…

Skirmisher said:
Berlin Wall
Eureka technology bourse
Cern super collider
Baikonur Cosmodrome
Al-Jazeera network
Echelon surveillance system
Palatul Poporului
Oh boy!! How will a civ benefit from the Berlin Wall??:dubious: :cringe: Maybe a very sarcastic national wonder for vassal states in Warlords?!?!?:crazyeye:
Al-Jazeera sounds nice!

For myself I don't really need Broadway, Rock'n'Roll and Hollywood. Just too many american wonders and I don't really see these three as wonders.
I'm also very missing some german wonders. What about Oktoberfest (happiness), Die Hanse (trade), Gutenberg's Book Print (science), Wartburg (religion spreading) J.S. Bach's Cathedral, Neuschwanstein Castle (both cultural)?
Also the Palm Islands of Dubai should be taken into consideration.

migthegreek said:
Maybe Syndey Opera House, as it's a pretty famous icon (although I don't think it's 'wonder' material), but not the Syndney Harbour Bridge. The world has hundreds of cool bridges. I think the point of wonders in the game would be that most people in the world know them, regardless of what country they're from. That's why it's irrelevant if everyone in Australia knows the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The bridge was a real bad example i didn't explain to well, alot of places have significant recognisable bridges... such as the golden gate bridge and so on. What i was thinking was just a generic Massive Bridge wonder, call it the worlds largest bridge or something. So it say's like "The worlds largest bridge has been constructed in new york" and give it the image of a cool looking bridge like... and have a requirement that city is near lake.

And do the same sort of thing with the operahouse... it doesn't have to be called sydney opera house, just would be cool to look like it. The operahouse should definately be a world wonder... its unique structure is just so recognisable. Ive seen a few buildings try to imitate it in some way and they all just end up looking like a piece's of crap that cost way too much to build.

There is another fairly significant operahouse in russia where alot of famous people and plays have been shown in and after wartime but i cannot remember what it is, which just goes to show that the syndey one is indeed much more memorable and recognisable.

Skirmisher said:
Berlin Wall
Eureka technology bourse
Cern super collider
Baikonur Cosmodrome
Al-Jazeera network
Echelon surveillance system
Palatul Poporului

Only one I've heard of is Berlin Wall - and I'd hardly consider one of the biggest symbols of oppression to be worthy of being a wonder.

You, along with lots of other people worldwide, have probably heard of all of these though:

Hollywood
Broadway
Rock N' Roll
The Internet
Wall Street
Mt. Rushmore

I would imagine Mt Rushmore was used because out of the "monuments" of it's type because it's a bit more epic than your average monument/statue in a park somewhere.

Wonders (in civ) are wonders not only because they are amazing feats in some way, but because they are well known. They're also usually wonders because they have/had some kind of large-scale impact. For example, the statue of liberty to me is a symbol of freedom, not just an american monument.

Sydney Opera House is well known in about the same way as the Golden Gate Bridge - they are cool landmarks, but they are hardly wonders. Both are very cool, both attract tourists, both are nice architecturally, but neither has any significant impact on world culture or any other kind of significant impact. And neither are symbolic of other monuments you typically find in any given culture. Both are recognizable, but when you see them, do you think about anything other than the cities/countries that house them?

Just so we're on the same page, here is a list of wonders by country. Admittedly I took my best guess at some of these so not all of them are 100%correct.

US (13)
Broadway
Hollywood
Mt. Rushmore
Apollo Program
Statue of Liberty
United Nations (Headquarters in US)
Internet (Technology originally developed in US)
Pentagon
Wall Street
Rock N Roll
Hermitage
West Point
Manhattan Project

England (4)
Globe Theatre
Stonehenge
Oxford University
Scotland Yard

China (4)
Three Gorges Dam
Forbidden Palace
Dai Miao
Kong Miao
The Great Wall

France (4)
Versailles
Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
National Epic (Icon is Arc de Triumph)

Egypt (3)
Great Lighthouse
Great Library
Pyramids

Greek (3)
Parthenon
Colossus
Oracle

India (3)
Kashi Wishwanath
Mahabodhi
Taj Mahal

Israel (2)
Temple of Solomon
Church of the Nativity
Temple of Herod

The CN Tower-Canada(the worlds tallest building(self supported)
Chichen Itza - Mayan
Hagia Sophia - Turkey
Angkor Wat - Cambodia
Red Cross - Switzerland
Hanging Gardens - Babylon
Sistine Chapel - Italy
Kremlin - Russia
Spiral Minaret - Iraq
Masjid Al-Haram - Saudi Arabia

I have left off the following wonders/projects since I didn't know where to classify them:
Space Elevator
Heroic Epic
Ironworks
Palace
SDI
Spaceship Components

So by any measure, the US has far more wonders/projects represented in the game than any other country. As I see it this has been done for several reasons. First and foremost, the Civ IV developers are mostly American, and they made a game for a primarily American market. They included so many US wonders in order to make the game more accessible to their target audience. This is why the majority of modern wonders (13 of 18, by my count) are American. But the game is still baised on present day American "culture"

Zhahz said:
but neither has any significant impact on world culture or any other kind of significant impact.
The same can be said for just about all wonders... the only thing the pyramids are good for are looking at, and storing corpses. Stonehenge didn't have an impact on anything.

I see a wonder as any construction that is highly recognisable around the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/images/_1243954_riojesus150.jpg - i would also like that as a wonder... The rio de Janeiro statue of jesus

AvianAvenger said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/images/_1243954_riojesus150.jpg - i would also like that as a wonder... The rio de Janeiro statue of jesus

And what influence does it have besides for the local population, it needs to affect the whole world.

-And say what you want but the UN is not all that well regarded in the US...

-Mt. Rushmore I agree, there is little need (and what does it have to do with war wearyness?), there are other things (such as Red Square) that would work better.

-As for the Great Wall it's been already spilled that it will be in Warlords expansion pack.

Oda Nobunaga said:
The problem with "Sydney Opera House" is pretty simple.

"Sydney Opera House has been built in Paris."

"Oxford University has been built in Samarkand".

Hardner said:
Oh boy!! How will a civ benefit from the Berlin Wall??:dubious: :cringe: Maybe a very sarcastic national wonder for vassal states in Warlords?!?!?:crazyeye:
Al-Jazeera sounds nice!

Hmm, the Berlin wall would be a good national wonder to prevent conquered cities from flipping...

GoodSarmatian said:
Hmm, the Berlin wall would be a good national wonder to prevent conquered cities from flipping...
IMO the Berlin Wall is too negatively affected to suit as a wonder. For your idea the Iron Curtain would probably fit for this, also.

GoodSarmatian said:
"Oxford University has been built in Samarkand".

Ah, true. Forgot about that one.

caitlinm said:
This is something I've been thinking about and I wonder if anyone else feels this way. It seems like the wonders towards the end of the game are strongly biased towards the United States. Is the game biased... or have no other nations done anything of worth in the past hundred or so years?

Look at the wonders towards the end of the game:
Hollywood
Broadway
Rock N' Roll
The Internet
Wall Street
Mt. Rushmore

As it is, I have a little beef with Rock N' Roll and The Internet being considered wonders, as wonders were usually things you could build. I think the internet should be a technology, not a wonder. As for Rock ' Roll... I'm not sure. (But on a side note, I wish they would bring back the Great Wall as a wonder.) Well? What do you guys think? Biased or an accurate reflection of our current history?

Well, Rock n Roll is as much a British thing as an American thing. The Americans came up with the Blues, the British came up with the Beattles and Stones. Hollywood... to be honest, MOST movies come from Hollywood. Perhaps they should add Bollywood as an alternative :D.

The Internet and Rock and Roll being wonders reflect the modern emphasis on media empires as well as physical empires. Now one can create wonderful things that exist outside of the physical world.

Guys this isn't rocket science here.

The most turns in the game occur from the 1700's on. Therefore we would go through more techs, and therefore more wonders during that period.

What country and which culture was dominant during that time?

The United States of America. Obviously many other states were important, and their importance is represented. But if you want to seriously deny that the USA is the most important state of the past 200 years, then you are in major denial.

So when you add up the most important state with the most amount of turns it equals to a lot of wonders for said state.

If the game went backwards, for example if one turn was from 2000 to 1950 then to 1900, all the way to 2800bc to 2881 bc to 2882 bc..then we would have completly different wonders. America would have one or two. And the ancient civs would have many more.

It just so happens that the majority of the game occurs when the Americans were the dominant civ. Don't hate, its just the way it is.

theimmortal1 said:
I frankly don't see any bias.

And frankly, what more famous than the American wonders?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :crazyeye: :lol: :)

theimmortal1 said:
Guys this isn't rocket science here.

Agree, it is simply that less known "wonders" from the US is in the game and well known "wonders" from other countries have been left out, even when the choice is between similar wonders, like WestEnd, Broadway or the Sydney Opera House.
(or westpoint compared to red square).
(And since I live in a country with no famous wonder in it, I think I can make neutral judgement.)

theimmortal1 said:
America has been the dominate force the past couple hundred years, culturally, economically, and through brute military might.

This got notthing to do with how famous their wonders are, although it might help them getting famous.

One a side note, it is the last 100 years, not couple.
USA have only been around for 200+ years (1776), and this includes a weak civil war period (1861–1865).

theimmortal1 said:
People who complain about this are frankly jealous of the success of America.

I'm glad for you that you are telepathic. :)

The Conquerer22 said:
Just so we're on the same page, here is a list of wonders by country. Admittedly I took my best guess at some of these so not all of them are 100%correct.

US (13)
Broadway
Hollywood
Mt. Rushmore
Apollo Program
Statue of Liberty
United Nations (Headquarters in US)
Internet (Technology originally developed in US)
Pentagon
Wall Street
Rock N Roll
Hermitage
West Point
Manhattan Project

I think there is an error in the above list, since ins't the Hermitage actually
in Russia ? At least I found the following text with Google:

"The State Hermitage occupies six magnificent buildings situated along the embankment of the River Neva, right in the heart of St Petersburg. The leading role in this unique architectural ensemble is played by the Winter Palace, the residence of the Russian tsars that was built to the design of Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli in 1754-62. This ensemble, formed in the 18th and 19th centuries, is extended by the eastern wing of the General Staff building, the Menshikov Palace and the recently constructed Repository"

Or does the Hermitage wonder in the Civ 4 mean something else ?

BearMan said:
One a side note, it is the last 100 years, not couple.
USA have only been around for 200+ years (1776), and this includes a weak civil war period (1861–1865).

Yes, it's more like the past 100 years. And, I wouldn't call the American Civil War "a weak civil war period". By no means was it weak at all.

Instant_Cereal said:
Yes, it's more like the past 100 years. And, I wouldn't call the American Civil War "a weak civil war period". By no means was it weak at all.

Agree, a bit of missunderstanding:

-> I didn't mean the war was weak, I meant that the country was weak due to the war :)

Weak on the international scene, to be specific.

Top Bottom