Wonders - the good, the bad and the ugly

This is really the only wonder you need in a conquering game (which is apparently the way civ v was designed to be).

A +5 happiness wonder (notre dame) is hammers directly into the trash.

This just goes to show we all think differently about every wonder. I agree the Forbidden Palace is a good wonder, but it was already built in a warmongering game I played with Rome. I had built every colosieum and theater I could build in my cities. I had built the Circus Maximus. I had nearly every luxury resource, and my people were still not happy. Building Notre Dame was a blessing for me as it kept my happiness on the positive side. That was the only thing left to add positive to it. Happiness can be pretty hard to come by at that phase of the game when you are conquering cities left and right.

I will have to look into the Taj Mahal. It sounds like it is a must have wonder that I have been passing on.

It sounds like the Colossus really stinks. I usually don't have a Coastal city that early in the game anyways.

I really like Big Ben having that cheap purchasing is nice. Goes real well with that Commerce policy that does the same thing.

I've seen a thread on here about a whole strategy around the Himenji Castle.

I will have to look into the Pentagon. My games are usually over before that comes around though.

There has been a lot said about the Pyramids, Great Library, Stonehenge, and Oracle. I guess I will give those wonders a closer look. It seems the AI doesn't like to build the Pyramids very fast. My last game I was in the industrial era before it got built.

In domination games, it's hard to get the early wonders. You get so busy building up your army. It isn't until you have a big cashflow that you can buy soilders and build wonders later.

Top Bottom