WOOT !! i got rid of religion

Hence I couldn't even generate one missionary to 'prime' the religion.

A huge problem before the spring patch, which I think fixed this problem. Though I relied on Saladin's feature to get the last prophet, I always ensured I had a holy site/shrine up at least.

Though I still get scared of losing my religion, and I always choose scripture as one of my tenants.

Here is a copy paste of a really good religion strategy from an old thread. The key point is that when you found your religion it becomes the majority religion in any city you own that has a holy site.

kb27787Chieftain
My friend, religion is very, very simple.
I will tell you a secret: most people make the mistake of founding their religions too early.
Do you know that there's no time limit to found your religion after you have earned your great prophet?
Just park him somewhere or explore the map with him (he can't die anyway) early on, you waste hammers on early temples and you don't have enough faith going to get apostles to enhance twice AND to launch an inquisition... in the meantime spread it and defend it from multiple AI... no you can't do that, not on higher difficulties. Wonders like Mahabodhi temple are so hard to get and not worth their hammers anyway. Use your prophet as a scout, to harass AI movement, or to block choke points such as a narrow pass between mountains (if an army is coming to surprise DoW you, they will not DoW until they make it to your borders, if they don't have sight on the other side of the mountain pass, they cannot move through).
Get your empire up and running, build your important districts and play normally, get holy sites in all the cities you care about at your leisure. If AI comes to spread their religion with an army of apostles and missionaries, let them do that all they want. If you're lucky the AI's religious units will fight each other, exhausting their own faith income.
Then, when you've noticed the AI has stopped sending their apostles (or if they do it is no longer as a horde but only one at a time), get your great prophet to the city you want to be the holy city, and found your religion. This is now midgame and you should have a nice stack of faith now to purchase all the religious buildings and apostles you need. This is very important when playing as Arabia, being last to be founded, your religion has a very poor chance of surviving without huge investment. Hence, delay founding it may be a wise decision. (if you don't have enough faith to enhance twice, and/or do not have temples in all the holy sites you care about to get the +10% science/culture from their building, then don't found just yet!). As long as your religion remains mere a divine epiphany in the mind of your prophet, it is invulnerable. The quirk is that, when a religion is founded, ALL of the founding player's cities with a holy site will automatically convert to that religion (not just the holy city as was the case in Civ V); in other words, you've just flushed ALL the efforts of the carpet of religious units the AI sent at you down the drain (would probably be a particularly nasty thing to do to block a religious victory by the deity AI, which appears as a threat every now and then... once they get close to winning, found your religion, and poof! The AI needs to convert your entire empire again). Conversely, do NOT spread religion to another player if they have any holy sites and the last religion has not been taken. You may find all your efforts similarly wasted. If you do this late enough (by that time you've had plenty of time to focus on Yerevan, which is the BEST CS for religious victory), you may be looking at a super-easy religious victory as the AI has spent all its faith already and the cost to buy a single apostle is in the thousands whereas you haven't bought any religious units at all prior. Waltz in with a bunch of proselyters and translators and take over their whole empire. This is the easiest deity victory for Arabia under the right conditions.

Yeah holy site hijacking is probably the way to go if you've failed to grab defender of the faith.

Fun, but a good example of why I hate the religious game to begin with. Just has nothing to do with emulating history, at least in my view. Just a game gambit. But I get that it would be fun for many to try out.

Fun, but a good example of why I hate the religious game to begin with. Just has nothing to do with emulating history, at least in my view. Just a game gambit. But I get that it would be fun for many to try out.
What, hijacking holy sites to produce a dominate religion? Pretty sure that's like churches built over pre-Christian shrines or Islam covering areas that were once Christian or Zoroastrian.

What, hijacking holy sites to produce a dominate religion? Pretty sure that's like churches built over pre-Christian shrines or Islam covering areas that were once Christian or Zoroastrian.
Fine, suit yourself. Enjoy. I don't dig religion, period, let alone in a game. But if its going to be in a game, then don't pepper the map with religious units that accomplish nothing, because that adds nothing to the game except nuisance value.

Fine, suit yourself. Enjoy. I don't dig religion, period, let alone in a game. But if its going to be in a game, then don't pepper the map with religious units that accomplish nothing, because that adds nothing to the game except nuisance value.
Listen even if the developers were militant atheists they still have to have religion for role-play value otherwise everything would channel into one all-powerful yield: science. And all other yields would be irrelevant except to get more science. There's an awful lot of irrational fear for a game feature around here. Someone is investing faith to give you a free follower belief, at no cost to you. Maybe you can start at later eras when religion should be a bit weaker?

Nah, I just play the game with religious victory off and keep closed borders in hope of discuraging too much incoming traffic. If there's too many religious units showing up, now I just quit the game, start another. I'll have to try some of the suggestions offered to elevate religious unit pricing. That might work.

I think holy war, inquisitors, and stop missionary demands need to be active even if you don't found a religion. It should apply to anyone that's trying to spread anything either than the majority religion.

Or perhaps they could use the Civ 4 method of declaring a State religion even if it's the minority religion. Naturally that would cause commotion among the people and other leaders. As is, theret is little agency in religion if you didn't found one, and founding one is quite a huge opportunity cost.

Civ 4 also had the secular "Free Religion" option in later times; and considering that is what a lot of countries actually do these days I sorta think later games took that backwards. Civ 5 and 6 honestly makes religion spreading seemed like a disease whereas in 4 most of the time they were good things.

If I were to give suggestions in Civ 6 terms, adopting a state religion would make it harder to spread non-state religions and declare holy war as such even if not founder, but result in negative amenities for followers of other faith or when you "wipe out" another religion in a city. Free Religion would allow for missionaries of any religion and you gain all follower benefits but you lose the ability to holy war or demand people to stop converting.

Last edited:
Of the thousand things that annoy me about this game, that's gotta be 999. I must be lucky or something. I have seen the odd screenshot that has a carpet but I have never faced one. I have had the odd religious unit in the way but that's it.

while it is not nearly as bad as when the game launched, good gawd that was horrid, it still very much happens. i can have a game where suddenly i have a dozen units blocking all traffic, its quite annoying.

i really wish those units were on their own layer, like how builders are not on the same layer as military units so they can pass each other. that would really help

My solution to the whole religion unit spamming was to adjust the file with the cost of the units and made all the costs for religious ones absurdly high. This solved all the problems I had with it, I still have religion in my games and can even keep the religious victory allowed, no one will win one though because religion spreads very slowly on its own and no conversions taking place. Only religious units in game come from a few wonders but the ai (and me if I build them) uses those to add extra beliefs to their main religion.

Only negative effect for me I found was:
No one is spreading it's religion to Kongo (except it's neighbor maybe) so they will be unhappy with everybody if you have Kongo in you game and Mvembe lets you know how " disappointed" he is.

Last edited:
I suppose a compromise value which allowed for the possibility of conversion, but not a carpet of units, could be found?

This would likely have made the game much easier to win as 5 civs will spend absurd amount on few useless units.

No even the AI can't afford the cost so no one tries to build them or waste their time on them. Nobody has a chance to win a religious victory and the AI's just don't go for it then. You'll have more competition on one of the other victory conditions though..

That's an interesting suggestion durfal - can you point me to the file where the religious unit cost can be adjusted?
EDIT: found it thanks and increased the costs!

Last edited:
durfal,

That is an excellent suggestion. I have had similar problems occur from time to time. Your suggestion seems like a good fix; however, it would also limit my ability to create holy units.

I might try implementing your solution if such problems start to get overly annoying.

For those of us less talented at game file searching, can the file and text strings for this fix (increasing religious unit costs) please be posted? Thanks in advance.

Thanks it took me a while to figure out the correct amounts to use so the AI's wouldn't build them either.
After playing my first game when the it came out I went into to the files to solve this huge annoyance. And luckily I found a solution.
It's not perfect but gets the job done.

For gunnergoz and others the file should be in Program Files (x86)//Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets//Gameplay/Data
It's called "Units.xml", but before you edit anything make a back up of the original file first!!!!

Open it with Notepad or an XML reader and search for the Missionary : UnitType="UNIT_MISSIONARY" BaseMoves="4" Cost=
After Cost change the amount to "50000" and the AI shouldn't build them anymore.
So it reads: UnitType="UNIT_MISSIONARY" BaseMoves="4" Cost="50000"
Next line should be for the Apostle and should start with : UnitType="UNIT_APOSTLE" BaseMoves="4" Cost=
Here I made the amount higher and changed it to "125000"
After that comes the one for the Inquisitor: UnitType="UNIT_INQUISITOR" BaseMoves="4" Cost=
Here I used "50000" again.

Only change the numbers behind cost or add some zero's and leave the rest of the file completely intact!!!
Save the file and that is it. Anything you do is on your own accord though. For me it works, but I can't give guarantees if someone else is editing the files.
Also remember, in this way it is not a separate mod but you are editing the original game files so after a patch or with an expansion this file can be overwritten again.

Top Bottom