Worker Chop - the (preliminary) Guide

To DaviddesJ

I think Taelis is talking about using slavery. 1 turn is used not to have 0 hammers in the box, then 2 pop are killed to give 60 hammers (at normal speed) so the worker is out in the 2nd turn.

By the way, if you do this, kill 2 people at the same time, you don't get 20 turns of unhappiness but only 10 turns.

Another strategic hint: Chop the tile you want to settle in.

If you have decided to settle at a certain spot on the map, and that tile has a Forest on it. Consider chopping that forest before you build a city there, provided:

1. There is at least a city of yours not too far from the spot, so it can profit from the chopping. Also make sure there is no foreign city so near that it would get the hammers instead of your city.
2. The spot exposes no danger for your worker to work there, or at least you can protect your worker with some military unit.

The point is, when you settle in a tile with a Forest, the Forest is gone, and you get nothing in return. If you chop the tile and settle then, your city will still have exactly the same Gold/Production/Commerce value as if you hadn't chopped. In that sense, a Forest where you're going to settle is a "wasted Forest", and you can profit from it by chopping it down first.

DaviddesJ said:
What happens if I chop a forest in the radius of a city that is producing commerce, research, or culture?

Commerce, Research and Culture - as long as they're produced by a city, they all require Hammers. Chopping gives you Hammers, as a result you get a one-time push in that city's Commerce, Research or Culture production.

Blkbird said:
Commerce, Research and Culture - as long as they're produced by a city, they all require Hammers. Chopping gives you Hammers, as a result you get a one-time push in that city's Commerce, Research or Culture production.

Is this based on direct experience, or are you just guessing? It doesn't seem to work, but, I haven't studied it extra-carefully.

Has anyone been able to beat the higher difficulty levels without chop rushing?

Also make sure there is no foreign city so near that it would get the hammers instead of your city.

Are you SURE? I don't remember seeing my axes ever go to an enemy town.

I play usually on emperor and higher.
chop is nice
but building worker first is wrong,

Btw, I'm not so sure on that. I always make a worker first... I think thats how most high level players do it as well.

You actualy have me now puzzled on something. If I'm playing a standard sized deity map, I often prefer Romans as I am pretty confident in winning with them. It would be silly not to use their early UU, so obviously I am going to need to connect my iron. To do this, I am going to need a worker, obviously.

You are telling me, it is better to avoid making the worker, and to go over with no real army or defence in place, and steal a worker instead? How is that going to help my situation. Now after all is said and done, my stolen worker has to go in hiding in my town because I have at least one or more very pissed off nations (who obviously have me outproducted on deity levels), and are making their way to rape me. I am stuck now with a useless worker, and I STILL don't have my iron connected which means I STILL can't even make my UU, right when i need them the most... Ughhhhh...

No thanks dude.. Looks like a lose-lose situation to me.

obsolete said:
Are you SURE? I don't remember seeing my axes ever go to an enemy town.

Yes I'm sure. It can be a friendly nation, or even a nation in War with you.

Blkbird said:
Yes I'm sure. It can be a friendly nation, or even a nation in War with you.

I highly doubt this. I regularly chop next to an other civ's culture border to steal his forests before the culture expands. In all of those cases the chops went to my own cities instead of the other civ's cities. Even in situations in which they had no border expansion yet (and it's outside of my fat cross).

I just tested this - I chopped a forest immediately outside a Roman city that was in MY cultural area even though my city was 3 squares away- the results of the chop went to me. I then chopped a tree that was in a neutral area (no culture) that was 2 squares away from a Roman city and 4 squares away from my city. Again the results of the chop went to me.

In fact the only time I have seen the result of a tree chop not go to me is in a team game where I chopped close to my ally's city and the chop went to that city instead of to mine.

Quantum7 said:
I highly doubt this. I regularly chop next to an other civ's culture border to steal his forests before the culture expands. In all of those cases the chops went to my own cities instead of the other civ's cities. Even in situations in which they had no border expansion yet (and it's outside of my fat cross).

So? Try chopping a Forest within a foreign border next time.

What? You thought that's impossible? You're wrong.

Blkbird said:

I think there used to be a bug (in 1.09 or so) that caused chopped hammers not to go to research. Not sure whether that has been fixed or not.

Blkbird said:
So? Try chopping a Forest within a foreign border next time.

What? You thought that's impossible? You're wrong.

I tried chopping in another civ's territory in 1.09. It wasn't possible then. I distinctly recall chops (in 1.52) being stopped automatically if their culture expands to your neutral chop square as well, so I'm curious how you manage to chop anyway.

Note: The only way I can think of is declaring war. Maybe at war you can chop their forests ;).

Cant chop in rival territory in 1.52. Just tried it lol.
But if there is a forest 2 squares from a brand new rival city (just the 9 tiles border) and your border is 3 squares away you will get the shields.

Quantum7 said:
Note: The only way I can think of is declaring war. Maybe at war you can chop their forests ;).

You're very good. That's in fact the way to go (or not, obviously).

Top Bottom