World congress host vote

crdvis16

Emperor
Had a somewhat interesting thing happen with my current game. World congress host vote came up. In vanilla civ you could pretty much count on all AIs voting for themselves and therefor it was easy to determine what to do you with your votes:

1) if you have the most votes, vote yourself host
2) if you don't have the most votes, vote for a friend such that your combined votes make him host (or you at least get a positive diplo modifier)

However, the AI is much more savvy with diplomacy these days. I didn't have enough votes to make myself host so I voted for my friend, the Inca (our combined votes should have exceeded any single other civ). Unfortunately, he ended up voting for me leaving us both without enough votes and our enemy (Washington) becoming host.

Does anyone have a firm grasp on how the votes typically go down now? Could I have placed a spy as diplomat in my friend's capital in order to find out how they were going to vote? Or is the AI's logic fairly easy to understand such that I should have known what was coming?

This happened to me as well. It makes the host vote a complete craps shoot.

Had a somewhat interesting thing happen with my current game. World congress host vote came up. In vanilla civ you could pretty much count on all AIs voting for themselves and therefor it was easy to determine what to do you with your votes:

1) if you have the most votes, vote yourself host
2) if you don't have the most votes, vote for a friend such that your combined votes make him host (or you at least get a positive diplo modifier)

However, the AI is much more savvy with diplomacy these days. I didn't have enough votes to make myself host so I voted for my friend, the Inca (our combined votes should have exceeded any single other civ). Unfortunately, he ended up voting for me leaving us both without enough votes and our enemy (Washington) becoming host.

Does anyone have a firm grasp on how the votes typically go down now? Could I have placed a spy as diplomat in my friend's capital in order to find out how they were going to vote? Or is the AI's logic fairly easy to understand such that I should have known what was coming?

Pretty simple. The AI will do what you just did: vote for best friend if they can't buy the host seat outright.

G

Pretty simple. The AI will do what you just did: vote for best friend if they can't buy the host seat outright.

Doesn't this mean the human player should always vote for himself? If we know that anyone who doesn't have the most number of votes will be voting for their best friend, we can use that knowledge to vote for ourselves, hoping that we're one of the AI's best friends?

G

What if I only have 2 votes myself, my best friend has 10 votes, and some enemy has 11 votes? Do they recognize themselves as the better candidate and assume I will vote for them? Or will they still dump their 10 votes to me and assume I will vote for myself and take the host seat?

And does an AI take into account if they have lots of friends who aren't necessarily friends with each other, which makes them the best candidate?

What if I only have 2 votes myself, my best friend has 10 votes, and some enemy has 11 votes? Do they recognize themselves as the better candidate and assume I will vote for them? Or will they still dump their 10 votes to me and assume I will vote for myself and take the host seat?

And does an AI take into account if they have lots of friends who aren't necessarily friends with each other, which makes them the best candidate?

The logic is pretty simple (I wrote it a long, long time ago), and follows my formula above. You've inspired me to take another look, though, so bully for you!

G

The logic is pretty simple (I wrote it a long, long time ago), and follows my formula above. You've inspired me to take another look, though, so bully for you!

G

Didn't mean to add to your already full plate! I didn't mean to insinuate it needed to be made better, I just wanted to understand the AI's logic in order to plan accordingly in my games. Though making the AI more dynamic in diplomatic relations is always a good thing.

I can't remember, but does anyone know if a spy-as-diplomat in a capital will inform you as to how they plan to vote for host? I believe it does tell you how they will vote on initiatives, or am I mis-remembering that too?

And is it possible to have a round of trading first so that votes can be bought?

No, the special sessions for votes are, well, special, and AI buy/sell logic can't interact with it.

Didn't mean to add to your already full plate! I didn't mean to insinuate it needed to be made better, I just wanted to understand the AI's logic in order to plan accordingly in my games. Though making the AI more dynamic in diplomatic relations is always a good thing.

I can't remember, but does anyone know if a spy-as-diplomat in a capital will inform you as to how they plan to vote for host? I believe it does tell you how they will vote on initiatives, or am I mis-remembering that too?

No worries. I have a list of 'things to look at' that I'm constantly emptying and filling, so it's not a big deal.

G

Would it be possible to make [friendly] AI tell the player "I'm voting for you/I want you to vote for me"? A simple statement, with no trading or modifiers attached?

Would it be possible to make [friendly] AI tell the player "I'm voting for you/I want you to vote for me"? A simple statement, with no trading or modifiers attached?

The special session starts before AI turns take place, so they wouldn't know what's going to happen. The votes are, thus, blind, and there can be no AI trade/discussion because of that.

G

The special session starts before AI turns take place, so they wouldn't know what's going to happen. The votes are, thus, blind, and there can be no AI trade/discussion because of that.

G

Thank you for the response.

So am I correct in assuming that the AI cannot discuss with each other who they will vote for, and can only make the same educated guesses a human would?

Thank you for the response.

So am I correct in assuming that the AI cannot discuss with each other who they will vote for, and can only make the same educated guesses a human would?

Technically you could code it so that AI can communicate with each other in the middle of turns. But for this they don't - the AI determines who they feel aligns with their interests and makes voting decisions based off that. The AI is really good about following the same rules as the human without cheating.

Top Bottom