World Cup 2010 Qualification - Europe

It can be argued any way I suppose. But that the thing about it, it can be argued any way. If that was what we were debating over it would be moot. But the had ball thing is so blatant, that you can't really say that had it not happened we'd be having the same debate about the possible penalty.

I just saw a video with all the repeats from all angles... Henry did it on porpuse, I feel ashamed that I considered him a great footballer and good example all around. it's not the ref's fault, I'm pretty sure his sight was blocked because of the other players bodies... the line assistant had to had seen that, it's all his fault, he had to be :):):):)ing blind to not see that...

Even at real speed, it looks deliberate - it's almost like he's dribbling a basketball.

That still does not tarnish Henry's reputation. It's not like he knew he wouldn't get a call, he was just trying to get the goal to make sure France advanced. Frankly, the only person to blame is the referees, who should have called it immediately. Henry even has apologized, he knows it was wrong.

Even at real speed, it looks deliberate - it's almost like he's dribbling a basketball.

That still does not tarnish Henry's reputation. It's not like he knew he wouldn't get a call, he was just trying to get the goal to make sure France advanced. Frankly, the only person to blame is the referees, who should have called it immediately. Henry even has apologized, he knows it was wrong.

He didn't apologize IIRC, he just said it was the referees fault.

More than enough blame for both of them.
I'd agree. It is time they introduced more referees and video camera footage for key moments.

They already have 5 how many do you want? 22?
I was under the impression that they have three. In case I am wrong where I think I am wrong I would prefer 2 more.

At the moment there is the ref, the two asst. refs (linesmen), the forth official by the benches and the fifth official. The fifth official is basically a substitute for the refs, since with four of them it becomes increasingly likely for one of them to pull a muscle or somesuch. He acts as the forth official's monkey in the mean time. Generally this consists of listening to and then completely disregarding the managers moaning, thereby freeing the fourth official to do his stuff. Check the subs studs and whatever else he does.

I'm not at all sure about introducing TV in match. The game should be the same, as far as possible, from the schoolyard to wembley, and stopping the match for video evidence seems quite a jump. On the other hand misleading the ref is an offence. Viewing the evidence after the event and deciding upon a punishment does not seem unreasonable. I would guess it would have to be a personal punishment in Henry's case, but something like a ban from the world cup finals and a donation to charity (perhaps an Irish one) of a couple of hundred grand?

I would guess it would have to be a personal punishment in Henry's case, but something like a ban from the world cup finals and a donation to charity (perhaps an Irish one) of a couple of hundred grand?

That seems entirely out of proportion to the offense committed. Seriously, he didn't (to my knowledge) go ahead and stab members of the opposing teams; he committed a single handball. That's not grounds for a ban from the WC.

That seems entirely out of proportion to the offense committed. Seriously, he didn't (to my knowledge) go ahead and stab members of the opposing teams; he committed a single handball. That's not grounds for a ban from the WC.

Misleading the ref is a potential red card offence. The deciding event in a (if the tabs economic analysis is to be believed) billion pound match must constitute, at the very least, the maximum punishment. Therefore a three match ban should be a starting point. Given his offence won france passage to the WCF, disallowing his participation seems proportionate. A one or two week's salary fine seems minimal.

That still does not tarnish Henry's reputation.

I'm not too sure of that one....remember Rivaldo?

Henry could have played a DeRossi move...but of course the French would indeed have his head.

At the end of the day, I agree with Gin&Tonic; introducing replays to soccer would ruin the fluidity of the sport. I would instead like to see an additional official or two on the pitch...didn't they have an extra during the Euros? That seemed to work pretty well.

~Chris

Henry is known to me since WC 06 as a cheat. I remember his dramatic injury he sustained while 'being' fouled by Puyol in the quater final against Spain. The resulting free kick led to France's goal.

I agree with a real harsh ban. Let him miss the WC since he now pretends to be so sorry...frekking hypocrite.

or as cantona put it (and he actually has a point):

‘What shocked me most wasn’t the handball, honestly,’ said Cantona.

‘What shocked me most was that at the end of the match, in front of the television cameras, this player (Henry) went and sat down next to an Irish player to console him, even though he’d screwed them three minutes earlier.

‘If I’d been Irish, he wouldn’t have lasted three seconds.’

Top Bottom