World Wonders

Machu Picchu fills a role no other wonder at that time really does: Boost a land based gold economy. I would say a decent wonder role would be 2:c5food: 2:c5gold: 1:c5culture: mountains in the city radius

This approaches what healinbear suggested, with my mountain-factor adjustment. I would say only to crank up the benefits, since by that point in the game, 2f and 2g in a presumably 0h tile isn't that great - especially if there aren't enough mountains nearby. Either more food and gold or 2h would make it pretty desirable.

I think it has to be more powerful.

That would be easy, we could use the Terrace Farm method so each adjacent mountain would increase the yield. Alternatively, we could simply add more yield to tiles adjacent - maybe +1:c5food:, +1:c5gold:, +1:c5production:, +1:c5culture:. So it's flexible.

I prefer this method to the "make mountains workable" but I'm not sure why.. I think it's because it would be difficult to balance: If mountain tiles are simply better than regular tiles then you'd always work them, and if not you'd never work them - it's a fine line.

The visual city is now an actual mini-city atop the mountain, with workable yields and everything! :dance:

I realized the moment GoodRevrnd made his suggestion that something like this was possible. The only hard part was figuring out the algorithm used to pick the tile for the graphic... which was more complicated than I anticipated! :lol:

I exchanged the flat +5:c5gold: the wonder had for these tile yields. Normally we'd get the 5g plus whatever normal tile the citizen is working. If we consider the hypothetical "other" tile a tech-enhanced grass village without policies (2:c5food:3:c5gold:), the change to the wonder is:

2:c5food: 8:c5gold: : old wonder + other tile
2:c5food: 4:c5gold: 4:c5production: 4:c5culture: : new wonder

There's two options from here:

• Keep the +25%:c5trade: trade bonus.
  • Replace the trade bonus with a food & gold bonus to all mountains in the empire (numbers to be determined).
A is more generally useful regardless of terrain, but B could be interesting too. Thoughts?

Attachments

• MachuPicchu.PNG
    MachuPicchu.PNG
    381.9 KB · Views: 263
The visual city is now an actual mini-city for the visual effect atop the mountain, with workable yields and everything! :dance:

I realized the moment GoodRevrnd made his suggestion that something like this was possible. It's just a new non-buildable improvement with no artwork that's placed on the appropriate tile. The only hard part was figuring out the algorithm used to pick the tile for the graphic... which was more complicated than I anticipated! :lol:

I exchanged the flat +5:c5gold: the wonder had for these tile yields. Normally we'd get the 5g plus whatever normal tile the citizen is working. If we consider the hypothetical "other" tile a tech-enhanced grass village without policies (2:c5food:3:c5gold:), the change to the wonder is:

2:c5food: 8:c5gold: : old wonder + other tile
2:c5food: 4:c5gold: 4:c5production: 4:c5culture: : new wonder

• Replace the trade bonus with 2:c5food:4:c5gold: to all mountains in the empire.
A is more generally useful regardless of terrain, but B could be interesting too. Thoughts?

Looks great!

Between A and B, I think A is preferable, though I still like my idea.;)

• Replace the trade bonus with 2:c5food:4:c5gold: to all mountains in the empire.
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

It's great, Thal. I would definitely go with A over B, if those are my two choices. I prefer mountains to remain what they are, and additionally, would view 2f4g tiles as viable alternates, but not necessarily an enhancement on what i already have. The exception would be if I built a city next to mountains specifically to build Machu Picchu... quite the roll of the dice.

I'd almost build the wonder just to get that plot on a tile that was formerly useless and allow the 25% trade bonus to fall to another, later wonder.

If you could buff this tile with civics like the other great person tiles are buffed then you'd really have a neat wonder.

The way you described the place really does sound like it was a retreat for the brightest of the Inca. Imagine those stats doubled with the correct civics, and then filtered through all the modifing structures of the city that built the wonder. It would represent the single best tile in the game at those point, like the Potossi mine, Mt. Fuji, and the Great Barrier reefs all rolled up into one little tile.

And I'd still like to place this myself for esthetic purposes. I never like where the software places it.

The way I did this is an invisible improvement on the mountain that's exactly like any other improvement. It's easy to add similar buffs from policies, techs, and so on. It'd be comparable to settling the Great Person from Hagia Sophia.... only this variety is like 3 great people combined. What do yall think?

We're unable to alter where the tile is placed without access to the game core. It took me a few hours to figure out the formula they used. :crazyeye:

The unalterable location is my biggest concern. I have OFTEN had the actual Machu graphic occur outside my cultural borders, in tiles I have even seen other civs grab.

The unalterable location is my biggest concern. I have OFTEN had the actual Machu graphic occur outside my cultural borders, in tiles I have even seen other civs grab.

Hmm... that's a good point. Can you add an effect to automagically grant the player the mountain tile it places MP in?

I already did that. :thumbsup:

It places yields and claims the tile regardless of who the owner might be (like culture bomb). The situation where it might interfere with an Observatory is rare enough I'm not concerned.

I already did that. :thumbsup:

It places yields and claims the tile regardless of who the owner might be (like culture bomb). The situation where it might interfere with an Observatory is rare enough I'm not concerned.

Exactly like a culture bomb, or does it work in AI-controlled territory as well?

I don't understand your question. Culture bomb/Machu set land to an owner without checking the current owner, while Stonehenge/Kremlin check if the land is unowned first.

Machu:
PHP:
local mountainPlot = GetMachuPicchuPlot(plot)
mountainPlot:SetOwner(playerID, city:GetID())
mountainPlot:SetImprovementType(GameInfo.Improvements[improvementType].ID)

Stonehenge:
PHP:
for _, adjPlot in pairs(GetPlotsInCircle(plot, 1, borderExpand)) do
  if adjPlot:GetOwner() == -1 then
    adjPlot:SetOwner(playerID, city:GetID())
  end
end

I don't understand your question. Culture bomb/Machu set land to an owner without checking the current owner, while Stonehenge/Kremlin check if the land is unowned first.

Machu:
PHP:
local mountainPlot = GetMachuPicchuPlot(plot)
mountainPlot:SetOwner(playerID, city:GetID())
mountainPlot:SetImprovementType(GameInfo.Improvements[improvementType].ID)

Stonehenge:
PHP:
for _, adjPlot in pairs(GetPlotsInCircle(plot, 1, borderExpand)) do
  if adjPlot:GetOwner() == -1 then
    adjPlot:SetOwner(playerID, city:GetID())
  end
end

Maybe I'm not understanding the Wonder itself. A culture bomb must be used within one's own borders, but then claims two rings of tiles. When you said it claims a tile, regardless of the owner, I didn't know if you meant adjacent tiles, or the "Wonder" tile itself.

Machu finds the plot the graphic is on, sets the owner of that 1 tile to the person who built it, then sets the yields of that 1 tile. In other words, the person who builds the wonder will always have access to the tile.

Stonehenge only claims plots that have no owner.

Anyone have ideas for how to revitalize the Himeji Castle? I'd like to find some new effect to add that's representative of Japanese history of the time, and not purely defensive.

Top Bottom