Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Zulu

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
With my limited historical knowledge, Russia should have started with Communism instead of a local area map, IMHO, with Carl Marx and all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

:lol: Okay, I'll correct you, you're wrong... Karl Marx was GERMAN, not Russian! Russia was far from industrialized in the nineteenth century, at the time of Marx, hence Marx did not consider Russia to be developed enough for communism. Marx believed societies must pass through a capitalist stage of industrial development before achieving communism, and in the nineteenth century, Russia still had a feudal economy that relied on peasantry, not an industrialized proletariat. Marx expected the more industrialized nations, Germany and England in particular, to be the first countries to adopt communism.

I think that the Aztec are the weakest civilization. Personally, I don't find the extra gold that much helpful.

There is no weakening Aztec units. Either you kill them or they have a fully fit (and probably upgraded) unit. You really have to attack with superior units or bring a big stack of equal units to conquer them. You'd better wipe them out while you still can.

I think the Zulu are a terrible Civ. Not only do they always come in dead last in games where I play against them (all they do is go for military tech and always end up failing miserably), but they always declare war on me and fail even more miserably.

When I used them they werent particularly great either. I dont like them much.

I wish I could have my vote back... I voted for the Arabs before the game came out in the U.S., but now the Arabs have become one of my favorite Civs.

I think that the Aztec are the weakest civilization. Personally, I don't find the extra gold that much helpful.

I think you're wrong. I think they're ridiculously powerful at the start, even though I haven't used them yet. I played a Free For All private match with 2 friends online on my PS3 the other day, and one of them was using the Aztecs. I was unfortunate to start out in a poor spot and very near his starting position. On Turn 1, he used his starting gold to rush build his first Warrior unit and start exploring. He found me and claimed my capital before my first Warrior unit was built. Game over.

On other matches (he uses aztecs almost exclusively on MP), he's able to build his Civ much faster than everyone else. Turn 1 he rush builds Warriors and is able to start exploring and I think he has enough gold left over to rush build another Unit by Turn 3 or 4. Using that tactic, he has 2 Warrior units built that can be exploring the area around him, claiming land naming rights and friendly/barbarian villages before other Civs even have their first Warrior unit up. Because of this, even though he spends much of his starting gold, he still gets his bonus (100 gold) settlers way before anyone else, and if you were unlucky enough to start near him, by the time you start exploring you find there is nothing in your area left to claim. So, you lose out on early exploration gold and it takes until much later in the game to get your bonus settlers (which is HUGE), and instead of building enough Warriors to defend your turf and explore early, or a Galley to get to island exploration, you end up spending valuable time early on building a settler unit, which slows everything down. Science production and starting city growth (hurts less if you're using Romans, which I hardly ever do now that I got the full game) are stunted so badly, if he finds you early in the game and is aggresive enough, your game is essentially over.

So, I would strongly disagree that the Aztecs are the worst Civ, by far.

I agree, Aztecs are one of the better civs. And if you are lucky to find Ark of the Covenent and get insta temples (+3 science bonus for aztec) in your early 4-5 cities (after rushing with horsemen), then the world is yours.

On the Russians
After I saw this poll, I decided to test out the Russians (never played them before) on Deity and see how poorly they would do. And to my surprise they rocked!
I was a bit lucky with my spawnarea because I could see a huge area of plains just 3 squares south of my settler. So I moved the settler for two turns and settled up against 2 forest and 4 plains and a barbarian city. With no research possible I focused on growing my city and building some early warriors. Plus you get a free militia for settling up against a barbarian city. With my warriors and milita I collected barb huts and got 100gp and the free settler. The settler moved to the water and I focused on reseach of Pottery. When that was done I rushed granary in Moscow and it boomed. I think it did 20 food each turn. After some horsemen for offensive-definding I started building Hanging Gardens. When it finished it brought Moscow to 18 pop and it was still very early in the game. From then on I never looked back and just researched my way ahead from the AI. My easiest Deity win until now.

So - if you get a start with some plains (and you can use the revealed map to know this) - then the Russians are up there with the rest.

For right now the spanish have my vote, although they get navigation, it's takes ur city around 20-30 turns to make the galleon, (no making warriors/settlers etc...) and in order to really have a chance ur gonna need to find atlantis b4 anyone else, without that artifact I usually end up in civ creek without a paddle.

Top Bottom