Votes: 3 1.5%
  • River Warlord

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Mongol Terror

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Other (DLC)

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
I don't see how that would be an improvement... it's still +50% unhappiness.

Maybe +25% unhappines from number of cities and 75% from citizens would make it a bit more generic. Still, I don't like generic UA's.

Normal unhappy per city is 3. +100% for India means they will have 6. This is true. Then +50% mean they will have 4.5.

I ended up voting for Father Governs Children, because it's the only UA where I would rather have another UA for the intended purpose. Both Hellenic League and Father Governs are about playing up to city states, and I'd rather have Hellenic League.

I find Barbary Corsairs to be situationally decent on water based maps. Not as good as the other naval-related UAs, but actually a worthy addition.

The problem is, the AI is already terrible at naval warfare. So getting any extra Naval boost against them ends up being pretty much moot. And, if the AI is the one playing the Ottomans, they simply won't be able to use those extra ship for anything meaningful. I don't play multiplayer, but I guess that this UA could prove more important there (in a naval-focused map).

Nonetheless, it's definitely a strong contender for worst UA. It would be my vote if it wasn't for the bonus 25 gold.

The Sun Never Sets

No doubt about it. Pretty wortless, imho.

I think its definitely america because Russia can achieve the same advantage by builging the krepost. since america do not have building to lower the tile costs, it basically nerfs it.

also why do people say things like you can have social policy for quicker wonders, so egypt not good. you do realise it stacks, so if your playing with egypt have marble nearby and the social policy you can build wonders very quickly.

the right method is to further enhance your UA when I play as china or japan i like to go for the honor policy and build barracks and gradually progressing to military academy. because 15% military boost added to 75% combat effectiveness when upgraded can create a very powerful army especially with the herpoic epic.

I have not played as egypt much but whenever I have I have made sure to explore the tradition track and try to build wonders.

if your playing as france surely you should build a monument in every city for powerful culture boost.

if your playing as montzy try going honor as 12 culture per barbarian killed makes a nice military rush.

I actualyl voted for The Sun Never Sets +2 movement to all naval isn't a big deal and it isn't that unique because yo ucan get +1 if you build the great library so...

And why give someone a unique ability only for certain maps

And It isn't a ability wich you can say i am going to play england because of it... Nope its just a tiny bonus

For my money it has to be Barbary Corsairs - map dependent and the 25 gold just doesn't cut it, and unlike the German ability, ships cannot be used as garrison troops.

As for others that have been mentioned:
*America gets +1 sight for land units which is pretty powerful helps with exploration and warmongering;
*England's embarked units get the +2 movement also, which is often overlooked and also helps with exploration and warmongering (on all non-pangea maps)

I think its definitely america because Russia can achieve the same advantage by builging the krepost. since america do not have building to lower the tile costs, it basically nerfs it.

Not even close. You have to spend hammers on a barracks and pay one mainentance for each city to achieve half of what America has, and your land troops still won't have the +1 sight. It's very hard to go back to warring with other Civs once you get used to your siege units being able to see.

wtf how can 11 ppl t-down for Sun Never Set !? I mean.. I m an England lover and this UA helps me alot on Earth and Europe maps, not the normal game though, since we barely use navy much... meh

I voted Furor teutonics idk Its just not worth for me, the UA forces you to go for Honor policy which I always went for Liberty D:

Not even close. You have to spend hammers on a barracks and pay one mainentance for each city to achieve half of what America has, and your land troops still won't have the +1 sight. It's very hard to go back to warring with other Civs once you get used to your siege units being able to see.
I have to agree with this. UA should also be considered in combination with the UU and/or UB available to a civ. It really is a total package. In addition to the +1 sight, the ability to spam and later upgrade Musketmen which have the movement bonus of Scouts is often overlooked. In late game wars, having Mech Inf which ignore terrain penalties is almost game breakingly good!
For my money it has to be Barbary Corsairs - map dependent and the 25 gold just doesn't cut it, and unlike the German ability, ships cannot be used as garrison troops.

As for others that have been mentioned:
*America gets +1 sight for land units which is pretty powerful helps with exploration and warmongering;
*England's embarked units get the +2 movement also, which is often overlooked and also helps with exploration and warmongering (on all non-pangea maps)
The movement of embarked units is often overlooked. In addition to going across the ocean, England can amass an army, put in in the water, DOW, and sail up the coast to attack. England's embarked movement is faster than using roads and doesn't slow down in enemy territory.

the thing about sun never sets it works for embarked units too and it makes it easier to get naval cities surrounded by rough terrain in early game.

the thing about Sun Never Sets is that if you get England you are supposed to go big navally - rush Great Lighthouse so you get the +3 combination and you rule the oceans for the rest of the game.

You then concentrate on sniping at coastal cities with a fleet of ships-of-the-line until you have four or five with Logistics, at which point you can obliterate any coastal city anywhere on the world within a few turns.

Barbary Corsairs is, however, rubbish. A simple tweak - If there was a % chance (doesn't have to be 50%) of converting enemy units as well, it could be awesome.

the thing about Sun Never Sets is that if you get England you are supposed to go big navally - rush Great Lighthouse so you get the +3 combination and you rule the oceans for the rest of the game.

You then concentrate on sniping at coastal cities with a fleet of ships-of-the-line until you have four or five with Logistics, at which point you can obliterate any coastal city anywhere on the world within a few turns.

Barbary Corsairs is, however, rubbish. A simple tweak - If there was a % chance (doesn't have to be 50%) of converting enemy units as well, it could be awesome.

Even then naval movement isn't a big game breaker. I guess Embarking can come in handy now and then, but it's situational at best. Ship's bombardment never seems to be a big threat in most scenarios either.

I just never found navy to be of big importance in this game.

While Barbary Corsairs/Sun Never Sets may be situational (though it's the rare game that doesn't have coastal cities to go capture), I didn't vote for either because I wouldn't rather have one when I wanted to play the way the other indicates. England's UA is naval aggression, but the unit maintenance discount of Barbary Corsairs strikes me as a bit more conservative in nature.

I have to agree with this. UA should also be considered in combination with the UU and/or UB available to a civ. It really is a total package. In addition to the +1 sight, the ability to spam and later upgrade Musketmen which have the movement bonus of Scouts is often overlooked. In late game wars, having Mech Inf which ignore terrain penalties is almost game breakingly good!

I agree that Manifest Destiny is a pretty decent UA, since it has two elements, and while neither is exceptional, both are ok. I really don't get the thing about Minutemen though. I've seen other people say similar things, but (a) it's difficult to spam muskets at all, because you generally want to move fairly swiftly to rifling, which obsoletes them and (b) I don't see why I care if my mech inf can ignore rough terrain. They move quickly enough anyway, and there isn't usually so much rough terrain on the board that it seriously impedes them.

I agree that Manifest Destiny is a pretty decent UA, since it has two elements, and while neither is exceptional, both are ok. I really don't get the thing about Minutemen though. I've seen other people say similar things, but (a) it's difficult to spam muskets at all, because you generally want to move fairly swiftly to rifling, which obsoletes them

There it is; generally you do want to move to Rifling. In specific cases of a Musket UU, though, Rifling can be delayed without losing too much.

(b) I don't see why I care if my mech inf can ignore rough terrain. They move quickly enough anyway, and there isn't usually so much rough terrain on the board that it seriously impedes them.

There have been a few five-hill stretches when I've been grateful, but there's also starting with Drill, allowing access to deeper promotions.

Top Bottom