Votes: 61 17.1%
  • Eiffel Tower

Votes: 100 28.1%
  • Manhattan Project

Votes: 81 22.8%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 23 6.5%

• Total voters
I found Colossus to be absolutely useless as well. The only way it benefits me is getting me a higher score.

The Lighthouse is kind of useless as well. Although it does let my Triemes cross the ocean, it just goes out with Metallurgy and the training of the Caravel or any other advanced ship.

(Gee, I have a beef with every wonder :p)

Colossus can give a great boost for science research. When build in a superscience city the extra trade arrow per tile can be a big difference.

Lighthouse will only be usefull when the islands are not close together and can be a big help when wanting to conquer the world as quickly as possible. It can also help when building a shipchain with triremes and you don't have Leonardo's (yet) to upgrade the ships. But in most games I also don't build it.

hello, i am new in forums.
I am playing deyty, multiplayer, 7 civilizations usualy 1 human oponent, no human player bonuses, no cheats, no save/reload. I hope you understand how hard is that .Let me share my viewpoint.
Worst wonder very depends of situation. For example tower (which is leading here) could be extreemly usefull when: you play against 1-2human players and 4-5 AI ops . When you met your human op(s) you probably will have 2-3 AI ops around and you will desperately need silense on that fronts to can handle attacks from human oponent. Also its allwais good to choose wich front to fight and where to keep peace.
Second : Its very depends of how big is a map. on largest worlds great wall is most useless (i would say danger) wonder - if you build it your human rival will focus on metalurgy to make it absolete. If you havent embasy you will not know when exactly that will happend and you have to build citywalls at key cityes anyway. Only advantage can be when you establishing new city at enemy land, BUT on largest maps you probably will need that after discovery of metalurgy.OFC on smallest maps its extreemly usefull wonder.
So, most "bad" wonders have their use in specific situations , i hope that helps.
Wish you luck.

The Oracle expires as soon as it's built, the Eiffel Tower does nothing (in fact, what is it even supposed to do?) and the SETI Programme is useless on bloodlust (which I normally play,) but for me the most pointless wonder is the Colossus. I know I'm sticking my head over the parapet here, but trade just does nothing for me. I really don't enjoy it. I find it boring and an inappropriate activity for the military and political leader of a nation. Since I never build a single freight or do anything to site cities in appropriate places for trade and increase their trade output, a trade related wonder to me is completely superfluous. Hence one vote for other.

I never play bloodlust, so i am not sure how it workson it , but on standard rules colocus is very powerfull wonder if you able to build in 1 city Colocus + Copernicus observatory, IN college and Shakespeare theatre. I bet you never imagine how much science that makes :)

Hi guys, I'm new here and I only play diety with raging hordes. The worst wonder's to me are SETI Program and Darwin's Voyage, Great Library, and Oracle, Apollo Program, Manhattan Project, Tzu Su's War academy.

SETI Program comes too late in the game to be of any real use, and if you've been building caravans and setting up trade routes and government is democracy you should already be rattling off discoveries every 4-5 turns.

Darwin's Voyage and result in as few as 1 free discovery because if you've researched and are extremely close to getting a tech when you finish DV then you just get a tech you almost had in any case +1 additional tech... not worth the effort whatsoever. Besides, if you know what you're doing you should be way ahead in terms of tech, and also pushing frieght all over the map allowing you to knock off discoveries really quickly, so this blows to me.

Great Library is useless. If you've got Marco Polo's Embassy and are trading techs with all the other civs you'll quickly be way ahead in techs and have no need for this at all, in fact the GL backfires on you because you'll be way ahead and tech and have nobody to trade with, which means all the civs turning on you even faster.

Oracle just doesn't last long enough and expires with Theology which is a tech you're going to want ASAP.

I also think Apollo program is one of the horsehockytier wonders. Someone's going to build it eventually and it doesn't help in the space race that it was you, so why was all the production that you could be putting towards something else? I usually just build this out of pride, can't have the computer building it first.

Manhatten project for all the reasons that everyone else has stated.

Tzu Su's War academy is totally useless for me because I never try to win with military, I much prefer to explore, colonize, trade and get techs.

To that end the essential wonders are Macro Polo's Embassy, Pyramids, Michael Angelo's Cathedral, Hoover Dam, United Nations... and yes... Effel tower!

Even though everyone seems to hate the effel tower once your've colonized tonnes of the map and are way ahead in techs all the computer players will unite in hatred towards you. Having the UN doesn't help when they just refuse to talk to you anways and it's one of the cheaper wonders, so I say go for it.

Anways, just my two cents.

Great Wall in a game vs Humans.

Lolololol. Cool story, I was LAN'n with two friends last night and one was building it for AGES (he doesn't know how to play CIV very well) and then the other noticed he could have got it in 2 turns less so started building it to beat him, then the first guy quit.

I already had Great Library at that point anyway :p

I don't know how people could be voting for the great library. (even if it has fewer votes than the others) Build it, and you can beeline whatever you choose for a good long while and never have to trade away techs to stay current on other tech paths. I like to use it to head straight for The Republic and Monotheism while building the Oracle as well. Republic + Oracle + Michelangelo's = win, if you know how to abuse "we love the PM day."

The Eiffel tower? I've played plenty of games where I built 27 wonders, let's put it that way.

I don't know how people could be voting for the great library. (even if it has fewer votes than the others)

I doubt that you can find any three consecutive pages in this thread without finding an explanation of the problems with great library.

The tower is good if you are at war with people but one of the worst if you are peace or allied with people.

The worst should be Manhattan Project. it lets the computer ( As well as you ) Build Neuclear Bombs

True, the eiffel tower doesn't do anything, but that is still better than the great library which I think is harmful. Now, think about when you find huts early in the game. If you pop them what's the worst thing that can happen? It is to get a junker tech such as warrior code, right?

Now, let's assume that you have been lucky and avoided all the junkies. Why then make sure that you get all these junkers by building the great library? If you desperately need them, you can trade for them with the ai instead.

unless your at war with them:p :horse:

Being at war doesn't mean you need military techs. If there is any kind of distance between you and the enemy civ, all you will probably have to do is arrange for their exploring unit to be destroyed. The AI is so inept that it is very unlikely that you will find a significant force on your doorstep if there is an expanse of unsettled land between you. You can usually use units from huts against any units that come along. If all else fails, and you have writing, build a diplomat and bribe back whatever city they manage to take, getting your military tech, and whatever garrison units are there. (or spend down your treasury and appease them with a tech or two)

The only time you really need to worry about an enemy civ is if you are in very close proximity to one another, in which case, prudence might indeed dictate that your first off-path be a military tech, but you should know that you face that kind of threat early enough to be able to make plans accordingly.

Top Bottom