Would you classify Russia as a pretty weak civ in this game?

Artifex1

Warlord
Russia is one of my favorite civs to play just because I think the russian empire was pretty cool.

But in civ 5 the actual stats for this civ seem kind of on the weak side. What do you think?

No..... Double strategics and UB give expanded cultural border? Russia just screams for a Tech or Domination Victory. Focus on REX, the policies Rationalism + Order and you can pretty much win space race. Autocracy is another path that give you quadruple uranium to nuke anything to your heart contents.

From what I understand, Russia is generally ranked as a top or middle tier civ by most (including myself). The doubling of strategic resources is pretty good, though I don't build the UB all that often.

Russia is in my experience consistently strong when played by the AI and consistently a civ I can do well with. They are quite versatile, and I would add Diplomatic to the above Scientific/Domination victory list. Tons of extra resources sell for a pretty penny! I think the only more versatile civ is Babylon. (Of course, I am focusing on flexibility to pursue any victory. There may be civs that are better at one type of victory, but when viewed as a whole for any victory condition, I feel #1 is Babylon and #2 is Russia...and a close #2 at that.)

I used to like them for domination games as you can settle a 6 iron with your second city and then that's your longsword needs met for basically the entire game. Haven't played them since the patch, actually haven't used LSs at all yet. If you can still roll civs with the weaker LSs then russia is still pretty good in my eyes.

No of course not

ability:
double resource quantity is verry strong if you have 3 iron you have 6 verry strong...
Same with uranium Aluminum

And i am not even talking about the production bonusses you can get with russia...
You get +1 production on a strategic resources thats sometimes with modifiers like forge you can have a tile +7 production in the medieval era....

And in the modern era you're alluminium production tile will be amazing building those spaceship parts is going to be easy as hell.

units buildings:

Krepost basicly a baracks with a free momument

Cossacks: the bonus against wounded units is amazing with the decent promotions(charge even higher bonus) this is a killer unit and can even kill infantry

Russia is in my experience consistently strong when played by the AI and consistently a civ I can do well with. They are quite versatile, and I would add Diplomatic to the above Scientific/Domination victory list. Tons of extra resources sell for a pretty penny! I think the only more versatile civ is Babylon. (Of course, I am focusing on flexibility to pursue any victory. There may be civs that are better at one type of victory, but when viewed as a whole for any victory condition, I feel #1 is Babylon and #2 is Russia...and a close #2 at that.)

You forget science victory number one Building space ships part in less then 5 turns :crazyeye:

Interesting how the OP came up with that notion. What makes you consider it weak? As you can see by all the answers (and I agree), Russia is considered a "strong" Civ, however you want to define strong.

I barely play Russia myself (maybe I should) but if they're in my game, they are usually a force to reckon with and I can see myself dominating easily with it.

I would prefer a more modern UU for Russia like the T-34 or the Typhoon sub or something. And Catherine? Naah, give me comrade Stalin anyday!

I would prefer a more modern UU for Russia like the T-34 or the Typhoon sub or something. And Catherine? Naah, give me comrade Stalin anyday!

Then the UU would be almost useless. Cossacks can be upgraded to tanks and retain one of the best offensive bonus. 25% strength on a fast unit is awesome at picking off units with Artillery shots followed by the cossack finishing it off. Makes the Cossack a stupidly good defensive unit too. Shell with a city, eat up with cossack, rince/repeat.

I don't think Russia is a particularly good civ. Cavalry and Cossacks come quite late and are more like support unit. Against AI it's all about siege units at that stage of game and riflemen are just better at protecting them and delivering the killing blow against cities. I never build barracks in normal games and kreposts bonus ability is not good enough to make me do so as Russia either. Siberian riches can be powerful if you get a lot of horses near your capital to sell your stupid AI neighbours but generally speaking you don't need big army so double resources is a bit of a wasted bonus.

No of course not

ability:
double resource quantity is verry strong if you have 3 iron you have 6 verry strong...
Same with uranium Aluminum

And i am not even talking about the production bonusses you can get with russia...
You get +1 production on a strategic resources thats sometimes with modifiers like forge you can have a tile +7 production in the medieval era....

And in the modern era you're alluminium production tile will be amazing building those spaceship parts is going to be easy as hell.

units buildings:

Krepost basicly a baracks with a free momument

Cossacks: the bonus against wounded units is amazing with the decent promotions(charge even higher bonus) this is a killer unit and can even kill infantry

Their UP doesn't give double aluminum, only iron, horses, and uranium
Seen here

They didn't put Stalin in for the same reason they didn't put Hitler in, they were both mass-murdering tyrants who lived close to our time. If you wait like 500-1000 years i'm sure they'll both be in ;)

They didn't put Stalin in for the same reason they didn't put Hitler in, they were both mass-murdering tyrants who lived close to our time. If you wait like 500-1000 years i'm sure they'll both be in ;)

That argument became invalid in Civ4 when they added ...lol

Yeah, but stalin was the mass murderer on OUR side, at least for a while. If hitler hadn't been such an idiot/madman, it's entirely possible that stalin would have invaded poland then germany and the "allies" would have included germany. I don't think that would have been enough to gloss over aushwitz/etc completely, but we probably wouldn't remember either of them the same way if their roles had been reversed in WWII.

Doubled strategic resources is often really only useful when it becomes double uranium. There are lots of games I've had where I ended up with way more Horses/Iron then I needed anyways. The AI won't trade anything of value for it unless it's used up all it has. So usually, as Russia, I'm left with a bunch of horses and iron unused and with unit maintenance costs there's often listen incentive to use any more of it then I already am.

So what about doubled Uranium? Well that is great if the game hasn't been decided yet. Sometimes it's game changing. More often then not, however, I've already secured victory.

I think Russia's UA is one of those UAs that will really shine in multiplayer, however, where military is a little more about quantity and unit losses are more likely.

Top Bottom