Wouldn't having the Hard Copy be better for modders?

Cool. Sounds like Steam should not be much of a problem from modders then, but I'm still getting the hard copy. It took me 3 hours to download Napoleon Total War from Steam.

NTW is at least twice as large as Civ5. But yeah, if you de-install games and re-install them some time later a hard copy is better.

I should like to mention that, no matter whether you have a disk or not, you can download the game from steam after you activated it (if you lose your disk for example).

There are retail copies, yes. But they all include Steamworks and have to connect to Steam (except when offline mode).

So really there's no difference between them except one requires getting to the store and the other doesn't.

It is comfortable all right, but I find it a stretch to assign the trait "tech-savvy" to installing a patch. ;)
Well, not really, but thing is: Only tech-savvy people tend to think of something like installing a patch, other people tend to "just use it"... and tech-savvy is really a spectrum, isn't it? ;)

Cheers, LT.

Auto-patching can be really convenient, and it sure beats a trip to the patches-scrolls. Lack of technical savvy ain't the only reason to have auto-patching. ;)

There's also the reason Valve implemented it in the first place, so that their multiplayer games would synchronize quickly and easily, and so they could push smaller fixes toward their users without having to go through the rigmarole of releasing another downloadable patch.

Besides, if you're modding, you should be making your own modding directory and loading from that. It's how they did it in Civ 4, they're probably going to do it again in Civ V. And never, EVER mod the original files. Verify the game cache if you do not heed this warning and run into trouble. ;)

First cardinal rule of modding: always back up the files you're editing.

If you do that, you don't have an issue.
Applies to virtually all IT related work. Save it before you change it.

When I started changing "Road to War" - I saved any file I was altering to something like Civ4Unitinfos.Original.xml and then Civ4Unitinfos0.00.xml.

As I developed I made my changed files like Civ4UnitInfos1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc. and even 1.03.01.

Maintaining Version control is very important

Top Bottom