Wow, nice start

Conf

Chieftain
I just wanted to share my two best starts so far

A while back I started on a planet with a precursor bonus tile, two regular 100% construction bonus tile, one 300% research bonus tile.

Turned out the galaxy was a bit in favor of the a.i. All but one resources were way out in a.i. space. 4 minor civs who increased the tech rate alot.

Second start just now. I press start. And see my home colony is class 26 planet (only 1 embassy tile though). Civs seem fairly evenly spread out, all along borders of map, with all stars in the middle of map. I wonder how this one is going to play out, I'm really curious just how much of a difference this is going to make :). I'm guessing alot more than that precursor planet.
(precursor tile is cool, but you still pay 700% more too, and it's bad when one planet eats too much of the economy early on, difficult to adjust too with sliders)

I've noticed that when I get super starting planets I get all excited until my economy goes into the tank from paying so much in industrial points from factories and research centers on supertiles. Now I ignore the good tiles at first and keep my economy breathing.

I have noticed that too. I think you end up with alot of wasted BC's when there's no infrastructure to build. This effect can become so severe you have to turn down your spend rate. Which in turn makes your other worlds develop slower, build ships slower.

So in order not to waste I always figure I kinda have to go to war. And turn the military slider way up, to produce lots of ships. Because wasting those superplanets seems to hurt empire wide big time :(

But I love class 26 planets. I always turn them into money factories.
Then when I get into a big nice surpluss, I start rushing military starbases right next to the closest ai's homeworlds, by rush building lots of fast constructors. I always tend to wait till medium hulls before real warfare. I find medium ships+starbase backup makes them good survivers and gives them loads of HP. And the ships always have 1 defense of the smallest kind, all the weapons that can fit, and about 3/5 parsecs speed.

And just recently I tried making a cargo hull with 1 weapon+only engines, and roam around sniping constructors before the A.I gets a chance to build tough stuff or claim resources.

Hah. That reminds, yesterday I thought maybe those 300% bonus tiles are good to screw the a.i. over. What would the A.I do with a planet with only farms on it.

I.e trading a class 4,5 planet with only farms for techs to the A.I. Next to the planet is an influence starbase or two of course :)

Conf said:
Hah. That reminds, yesterday I thought maybe those 300% bonus tiles are good to screw the a.i. over. What would the A.I do with a planet with only farms on it.

I.e trading a class 4,5 planet with only farms for techs to the A.I. Next to the planet is an influence starbase or two of course :)

Hehe ... sorry the AI does build "wong" improvements over x00% bonus tiles.

Regards.

Actually if you dedicate a planet to entertainment and putting the down the farm on the bonus wheat, it will turn into a cash cow world. Only problem is the massive amounts of entertainment needed and the planet won't do much else. Does the AI use this? I dunno. I do if I can spare a world - who couldn't use the extra cash to balance the books ?

woodelf said:
I've noticed that when I get super starting planets I get all excited until my economy goes into the tank from paying so much in industrial points from factories and research centers on supertiles. Now I ignore the good tiles at first and keep my economy breathing.
Well, you should forget about this tactic in when v1.1 comes out. Patch 1.1 will direct the social production to the military production when no projects are being built. If there is no military production, it gets rooted back to your economy so no harm done.

SonicX said:
Well, you should forget about this tactic in when v1.1 comes out. Patch 1.1 will direct the social production to the military production when no projects are being built. If there is no military production, it gets rooted back to your economy so no harm done.
Interesting. I have yet to complete a long game on a medium or large map (finished a couple on smaller maps) but I always notice still early in the game that my planets have nothing to build anymore. That is, till I research another tech to do some upgrading on my planets.
I then start to emphasize another form of production, but there is still some social production that goes down the drain. Especially painful on that planet with a 700% production bonus.
So, good idea for the patch, in my opinion

SonicX said:

Thank goodness! I hated seeing wasted social production.

Top Bottom