Writing a story in the Stories & Tales section

The trouble with this is: Sisiutil's and Tomorrow's Dawn's (among others) stories have had updates long after they might have been considered abandoned. The story-lover readers would much rather have the two updates two years later, than the premature-with-hindsight ending/announcement which prevents any further storytelling...

True, but I would inform the readers that the story was being put on indefinite hold.

I just killed off my pictureless story with a quick ending because like 3 people were reading it :p It was not very good.

I read it, made me sad when I got to the end and found out it was abandoned (I invested twenty minuets of my life into that story.)

And I invested hours into something I didn't care about anymore. I couldn't keep spending that much time on something that made me literally miserable.

I have no objections to not wasting time on things that you hate doing.

Gosh darnit, Scriptum, ruining all of my fun.:crazyeye:

I have never seen this version of Spirictum before :lol:

I have never seen this version of Spirictum before :lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

It's so funny that most folks write my account's name wrong several times. It's like Spirit but with a 'c' prior to the 't' and it ends in 'um'. Many times I believe it's on purpose, and I find it very funny always :D

Sorry, Spirictum. Although I like Scriptum better, makes me think of a scribe. Anyway let's get back to writing advice. What do you do when you are a good writer but a bad player?

That's a good question, because I'm the exact opposite, so I have no idea :lol:. I have almost no skills on writing, but my gameplay level on CIV is already on Deity AI level.

I would recommend trying to become a better player, but that's kinda obvious and seems an empty advice. I like to teach people, so if you wish we can start a type of consultancy for CIV strategy here on S&T. Just ask me and I'll try to answer the best way possible ;)

I think the best way to write a story as a bad player but as a good writer would be to take the game as it was. In every game I play I always make some poor decisions but in writing I use the bad decisions as a part of the story. If you send a smaller army at an enemy than you should have; is that a mistake on the part of your government or is that a rouge general. Or if you don't have any money then who was mismanaging and misappropriating funds? Why did that praetorian loose when it had 90% odds?

To be honest I don't see the outcome of the game as the important part of the story. I believe that the important part of a story is examining the root causes of what happened in the game as opposed to examining what happened.

What do you do when you are a good writer but a bad player?

I personally can't stand stories involving good play!:lol: All the good adventure stories (imo) are those where the happy ending requires a significant dose of luck and a great deal of muddling through by the skin of one's teeth.

And if there's no happy ending, it can still be a great story...

Top Bottom