Wtf the Soldiers from XCOM: Enemy Unknown are in this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paradox games are great for historical accuracy. Civ5 is for fun. Death Robot and XCOM units are fun additions.

What has Xcom got to do with Civilisation?

Have aliens attacked? No. Is Earth under threat from an enemy from space? No.

The purpose of Xcom is to kill Aliens and destroy the threat to Mankind. They should have made them some kind of future Elite force, but straight-forwardly taking them out of another game simply destroys all immersion of CIV. It makes no sense at all in the context of Civ 5.

Some of you would say fluffly fish guns and kitten grenades are fine. And you`ll probably get it, since the Devs seem to be throwing all caution and reality and logic completely out of the window for Civilization games. They sure know how to make a mockery out of a once good set of games.

Some of you would say fluffly fish guns and kitten grenades are fine. And you`ll probably get it, since the Devs seem to be throwing all caution and reality and logic completely out of the window for Civilization games. They sure know how to make a mockery out of a once good set of games.
What reality? What logic?

The reality of the Zulu or Assyrians obtaining and using tactical nukes against goddamn Brazil?

The logic of every leader ever being perfectly okay with marching to war just because you have pearls and they don't?

Civilization is a game where you forge your own wacky history - realism, logic, that stupid as hell IMMERSION that players are obsessed with for some reason, can all be left at the door in the name of a good and fun game.

What has Xcom got to do with Civilisation?

Have aliens attacked? No. Is Earth under threat from an enemy from space?

Clearly you haven't realized that aliens=foreigners and that, as someone stated earlier, XCOM means Extraterritorial Combat Unit.

People looking for deep immersion in a Civilization game are just people who still haven't found out about Paradox.

It's still more historically accurate than Gandhi the Nuker, Zulu being Great Power or coexistence of Constantinople and Istanbul as two different city. ;)

The whole point of the game was leading an existing (somewhere in time) CiV to glory. As Constantinople's duality I have seen it in another strategy made by microsoft, cant remember the name, another silliness that became a trend. And Ghandis personalty I would attribute to the player, but I agree that the inside joke has been as lame as it was 15 years ago.

Isn't Byzantium also a city?

It was the original Greek colony at the site that Constantine the great found the new capital and it was renamed as Constantinople.
The term Byzantium/Byzantine came into existence by the late around the 16th century by a 1557, when the German historian named Hieronymus Wolf. The citizens of the empire would identify themselves as Romans and the Empire as the Romania (not to be confused by the present day country its just the same spelling) or Imperium Romanum. When Greek became the official language it turned to Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων --> Basileia Rhōmaiōn = Roman Reign.

he whole point of the game was leading an existing (somewhere in time) CiV to glory.

And that idea doesn't sound the least bit silly to you?

Honestly, if this game was even trying to remotely accurate to the idea, half the civilizations would collapse by 1 AD and having a city in starvation wouldn't be good for happiness and stability.

I, for one, look forward to the day my civilization can research Adamantium, and then build the Weapon-X wonder.

And that idea doesn't sound the least bit silly to you?

Honestly, if this game was even trying to remotely accurate to the idea, half the civilizations would collapse by 1 AD and having a city in starvation wouldn't be good for happiness and stability.

Either you are taking the trolling business too seriously or you are incapable of understanding simple things. I am guessing its the first.
The worst part is that you throw random arguements left and right and when you are offered a counter arguement you simply throw more random things....

Its a game based on the concept of historically existing peoples developing their new stories in an abstract environment and game mechanics. However that abstract environment is based on a hint of historical truth and existing ideas and facts. Nobody said it was an accurate simulation or historic record. The pyramids though did exist. Archeology did exist. Nanotechnology exists. As do particle physics and as did the Assyrians. The game tells you: Take those abstract existing ideas and forge a new story.

The X-COM squad is nothing of the short. I didn't exist and it wont exist. At least by the near 2050s. And if it even exist it wont be the X-COM unit of the game and certainly a bunch of 10 soldiers wont save the world against a superior alien force.

You also mess game mechanics with this. Those two are completely and totally unrelated. If they wanted to represent the future (a complete and utter mistake IMHO in this game) they could have added a generic improved paratrooper squad just as they did with the GDR. Should they have named the GDR as Mech-warrior (for those who remember) or Imperator titan (for those who know) as well because they might have the rights to those franchises as well? Lets add space marines and pirates since one of the first games of Sid was pirates...Then we wouldn't play CiV we would play Sids world (though the original X-Com had nothing to do with him). That would be more silly, and BTW why do you play a silly game?

I, for one, look forward to the day my civilization can research Adamantium, and then build the Weapon-X wonder.

This honest goofiness I can respect :D

The X-COM squad is nothing of the short. I didn't exist and it wont exist. At least by the near 2050s.
You sure about that? Consider what the XCOM unit represents: an elite squad of power-armored soldiers, armed with energy weapons, using long-range stealthy delivery systems to drop behind lines.

Well, the military is already utilizing powered exoskeletons for heavy lifting work, and those systems could be expanded over the coming decades to a full powered suit. Soldiers wearing armor that eliminates the need for a vehicle to transport their gear (heavy lifting remember) and renders them nigh-on immune to small arms fire is a VERY attractive prospect to any infantry force and is something the U.S. military has been pursuing for a long time.

Long range deployment? XCOM (the game) shows a VTOL craft, but considering those aren't exactly stable (Osprey) or efficient (Harrier), maybe further developments in the stealth helicopter are what's being used, like the modified UH-60 Blackhawks of the Bin Laden raid.

Energy weapons? We've already got plane-portable and tank-portable anti-missile lasers, given the advancements in battery and energy efficiency we're already seeing right now, man-portable laser weaponry certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

I have X-com and play that because I want a game of X-com. I have Civ 5 and play that because I want some strategy in the Civilisation style.

I didn`t ask for them to be mixed up.

p.s. Simple solution: Make GDRs and Xcom units optional.

You mean like, give me the option to build them? That would be awesome, I wonder if there's any way I could choose not to build a particular unit ...

You sure about that? Consider what the XCOM unit represents: an elite squad of power-armored soldiers, armed with energy weapons, using long-range stealthy delivery systems to drop behind lines.

Well, the military is already utilizing powered exoskeletons for heavy lifting work, and those systems could be expanded over the coming decades to a full powered suit. Soldiers wearing armor that eliminates the need for a vehicle to transport their gear (heavy lifting remember) and renders them nigh-on immune to small arms fire is a VERY attractive prospect to any infantry force and is something the U.S. military has been pursuing for a long time.

Long range deployment? XCOM (the game) shows a VTOL craft, but considering those aren't exactly stable (Osprey) or efficient (Harrier), maybe further developments in the stealth helicopter are what's being used, like the modified UH-60 Blackhawks of the Bin Laden raid.

Energy weapons? We've already got plane-portable and tank-portable anti-missile lasers, given the areas advancements in battery and energy efficiency we're already seeing right now, man-portable laser weaponry certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

These are all perfectly valid points. It all goes back to, again, the idea Pilot wants to throw around called "abstraction" and "forging a story".

What is the XCOM unit? What does it mean? A play on words easily turns it around to be about a special force operation, armed with the latest technology, supported by technological advanced delivery aircraft, that is deployed anywhere in the world to meet any challenge. Not quite sure what the hangup is.

Either you are taking the trolling business too seriously or you are incapable of understanding simple things. I am guessing its the first.
The worst part is that you throw random arguements left and right and when you are offered a counter arguement you simply throw more random things....

Its a game based on the concept of historically existing peoples developing their new stories in an abstract environment and game mechanics. However that abstract environment is based on a hint of historical truth and existing ideas and facts. Nobody said it was an accurate simulation or historic record. The pyramids though did exist. Archeology did exist. Nanotechnology exists. As do particle physics and as did the Assyrians. The game tells you: Take those abstract existing ideas and forge a new story.

The X-COM squad is nothing of the short. I didn't exist and it wont exist. At least by the near 2050s. And if it even exist it wont be the X-COM unit of the game and certainly a bunch of 10 soldiers wont save the world against a superior alien force.

You also mess game mechanics with this. Those two are completely and totally unrelated. If they wanted to represent the future (a complete and utter mistake IMHO in this game) they could have added a generic improved paratrooper squad just as they did with the GDR. Should they have named the GDR as Mech-warrior (for those who remember) or Imperator titan (for those who know) as well because they might have the rights to those franchises as well? Lets add space marines and pirates since one of the first games of Sid was pirates...Then we wouldn't play CiV we would play Sids world (though the original X-Com had nothing to do with him). That would be more silly, and BTW why do you play a silly game?

This honest goofiness I can respect :D

THANK YOU!

I have made this argument MANY times here in the past few years. Glad to hear others are on the same page. Just because Civ makes some significant abstractions does not mean that it does not have to bear any semblance to reality whatsoever.

These are all perfectly valid points. It all goes back to, again, the idea Pilot wants to throw around called "abstraction" and "forging a story".

What is the XCOM unit? What does it mean? A play on words easily turns it around to be about a special force operation, armed with the latest technology, supported by technological advanced delivery aircraft, that is deployed anywhere in the world to meet any challenge. Not quite sure what the hangup is.

The XCOM Units means an elite group of international soldiers (some of whom have psychic powers) brought together to fight off an alien invasion. That is the only interpretation, because that is what XCOM consists of. If they had given the unit a generic name there would be wiggle room for interpretation. They didn't, so there isn't.

The XCOM Units means an elite group of international soldiers (some of whom have psychic powers) brought together to fight off an alien invasion.That is the only interpretation, because that is what XCOM consists of. If they had given the unit a generic name there would be wiggle room for interpretation. They didn't, so there isn't.

[Citation of in-game encyclopedia needed]

Edit: You people do understand that the game pits you against the immortal god rulers, right? Rulers with immense psychic powers capable of micromanaging affairs from the capital instantly in any part of the globe.

Mistake: The X-Com project was specifically an imaginary paramilitary organization, charted by the UN to defend mankind from an alien invasion. It used the best earthbound technology of its time (which admittedly did nothing and included absurdities of its own such as remote controlled tanks with on board AI!) and reversed engineered alien tech to defeat the aliens in a time frame of 5 years (at least in the original iteration). NOTHING of this will happen in the near future.
The rest, is possible technologies under research that may or not end with success in the near future . As I said in my post above I would have swallowed a generic paratrooper upgrade named something else that has to do with human advanced tech and not an alien war which never took place, nor will in the next 50 years.
And if it does it wont be as depicted as in the X-COM series. 10 Grunts and 5 egg heads (self sarcasm included lol) reverse engineer tech that took untold milenia to develop in a span of months and destroy an enemy without numbers and spanning the know (and quite possibly unknown) galaxy.

Energy weapons? We've already got plane-portable and tank-portable anti-missile lasers, given the areas advancements in battery and energy efficiency we're already seeing right now, man-portable laser weaponry certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

As for those, read again the first section of my post. I am not against techs that involve those (well I actually am because nothing of this is beyond under research and we don't know the actual results yet but all we have is the internet rumors and hearsay). As I said, one can argue that those will exist eventually as the GDR might (eventually) but as the GDR give them a generic name that doesn't involve completely non existent facts. After all the Space Victory is pure speculation based on facts.

EDIT: And one think: On the anti-tank lasers, don't think that is pew pew lasers that destroy the missiles. Its another concept entirely, just saying.

Plasma totting Gatling guns though is completely out of the realms of possibility for this century though. Especially ones based on power cells from an element 'not indigenous to this solar system' ;)

Read my reply on Maktaka and BTW I got the content of the moderated post and in all honestly, I agree with what you told me in there, seems that way now.

Edit: You people do understand that the game pits you against the immortal god rulers, right? Rulers with immense psychic powers capable of micromanaging affairs from the capital instantly in any part of the globe.

Continuing the random blather and Ignoring the responses as you see fit yet again I see :D It must be rejuvenating not to add anything useful to a conversation.

A) XCOM means what it means....the Civolopedia does not have to state the truth for it to be the truth.

B) Please read my post #115

I think the big part of CiV that a lot of people are missing is that it doesn't strive to be historically accurate in any sense of the word.

Could they have somehow figured out balance so that on an earth map every single civ would spawn at it's real global location ad it's real time?

Could they have forced realistic war scenarios between the countries that actually fought them?

Could they have somehow forced real world physics, timing and all sorts of other un-fun stuff into the game?

Yes, of course, but they didn't because this isn't History Channel Presents: Civilization. This is a video game in which a random set of civilizations spawn into a randomly generated world and play out a massive "what if" scenario. Could we theoretically build giant death robots and alien anti-terrorist teams right now? (Minus maybe the psychic bit of X-COM) Of course we could. They wouldn't be as effective as they are in the game because these are quasi-future era units. Just because we don't have news reports of mechs "liberating" foreign cities doesn't mean it's impossible and certainly doesn't mean it's not happening in the near future, in what could well still be classified as the information age.

Besides, I can't imagine any civ player, unless one who is somehow playing well and far past the limit for most all victory conditions, having to bear with the XCOM unit considering most games end in late modern/early information era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom