WW2-Europe XXL

Hi Aeldrick,
I played your map for a while and I must say this is the best ww2 recreation around! There are still some inacurate facts in your map.
Because I'm Romanian, I can tell you about the problems regarding this area.
My country is Romania, not Rumania.
The Antonescu regime was not fascist but a Police State modell. Antonescu was a Marshall( the only so high in rank in the Romanian army of all the times)while the nominative leader( who wasn't dethroned) was King Mihai I who was not in legal age to rule at that time.
Some of the cities had different names:
Chernivitschi is CERNAUTI and it was part of the Romanian state before the ww2. Only when the Russian boots "landed" in 1944 totaly uninvited in our country we lost the city and its name changed to the one you put in the map.
Bukarest is Bucharest or BUCURESTI.
Kronstadt is the Austrian name for CLUJ.
Temesvar is the Hungarian name for TIMISOARA.
Constantja is CONSTANTA.
So, the correct names are Cernauti, Bucuresti, Cluj, Timisoara and Constanta.
Besides this I can tell you some things about the resources. Romania had at that time a lot of wine specially in its east regions and lot of coal in the mountains near Craiova. Also in the north mountains of my county there is lot of uranium and salt. The exact places are hold under secrecy, being strategic places. Also here was produced some small quantities of tabacco, lots of sugar. Romania was one of the most important european producer of wheat. In the mountains near Timisoara are some medium quantities of gold.

A broader problem on this map is the disproportionate power of Russia. Germany is so small compared with Russia when in reality, the population of Russia( 1939 - 108.809.000 people) was less than the double of the German population( 1937 - 69.000.000 people). The two wonders that brings two armies of infantry every two turns( from Siberia) are a very large advantage for the Russians. In reality Stalin used the Siberian troops only in 1943 when it became clear for him that Japan Empire is not going to attack mother Russia.

In 1939 Russia had a very weak army, mostly equipped by the Germans! Don't forget how difficult was for the Russians to fight with the small but the brave nation of Finns on the Mannerheim Line.

In the same time, Fascism is very unrealistic. The heavy restriction on the population growth practically condamns the Axis Allied countries to loose the war almost even before starting it.
Uh, I'm already tired from so much writting. I'm baryly waiting for your response.
I know that the game structure also imposes some serious restrictions. And although there are some imperfections that can be restored, Your Map, Aeldrick is the BEST! I think you worked a lot at it!
Don't stop man. I'd like to see a new map with only the Eastern front, made by you.

@absolut_nonsens:
thx a lot for the positive feedback...I really greatly appreciate...

I changed the city names to what you suggested, and changed one City from the soviets to Romania....
Leader Title also is now marshall.....
I only kept the fascism goverment, which other one would you suggest?

I added the ressources as you suggested, except for the wheat, as this would allow the cities to grow too big...

I know the problem with the soviets, but since most people play the scenario as the Axis, I optimized it for them. Russia is already, due to the very poor AI, quite weak, I cannot weaken it even more... the problem is just that the AI is too bad compared with a human player.... The Soviets have to be strong enough to take the baltic countries and parts of Poland at the beginning of the game, and have to manage against the Third Reich for at least some time... I recommend deleting the soviet armies at the borders if playing another CIv than the Soviets...

I won't make anymore scenarios because I am just very disapointed by the quality of the service we are getting from Firaxis.... they should be working on improving the Editor instead of not even beeing able to correct the old bugs... My next scenarios will probably only come for CIV4.... since they are already working on it....

I hope you'll like the changes (I'll upload it in a minute, and please let me know which others you think I could make....)

aeldrik, too bad you are not considering making any new scenarios. :( Your scenarios are so detailed and very well balanced that I would like to see more of them. However, I do understand your frustration about the limitations that Firaxis made.
Btw, do you know anything about the new "tweaks" to improve Civ3 after the 1.22 patch has been issued. Jesse (from Firaxis) mentioned something like that a few weeks ago?

I haven't seen anything, but I would sure be interested (do you remember where you read it?).... If they really improve the Editor, I would change my mind and make more scenarios..... as it is just weeks of work to make a good scenario, I just want to be sure the bugs have been removed by Firaxis first....
if you guys read something, please let me know, as I promise to make more scenarios if Firaxis adds Editor options or at least fixes the major bugs still around.... (I'll make a poll asking for which one...)

I am not sure where I saw that statement, but I am certain, Jesse said something like: the patch should be ready at the end of February (well that didn't happen) and afterwards he and his team want to devote the time til August to tweak and improve Civ3 and to see what is possible.
I will see where I can find that.

Thanks Aeldrik for the changes you made after my post. I will confess to you now that I changed little bit the map and played with the Romanians. I was very pleased to discover that the flag respected the specifications of that historycal period. Now, playing with a secondary power I'm asking you, how is behaving German AI in compare with the Soviet AI? And how can I verify/change the AI intelligence in the map editor? I tryed for a while to acommodate with the map editor and I found it pretty difficult to handle. You're right, the map editor is awful, especially for a person like you who stopped over many deep details and who made such an accurate map.

Second reason for swearing this map editor is the time necessary to load this scenario. I have a 2 Ghz AMD Barton( 2600+) PC with 512 MB Ram and GeForce 5600 with 256Mb. 80 Minutes to load this very fine map and 15 minutes every turn!!! It's truly exasperating!!!! And I haven't that much time to spend. Ufff...

I would rather to add to my observations that Romania had also 3 direction railroads. The two of them made through a controversial contract with Strousberg Company at the end of XIXth century. 1 Bucuresti - Chisinau and 2 Bucuresti - Craiova.
The third one was build by the Austrian authorities in the same time in west( that territory being under occupation) via Budapest( Hungary) - Timisoara - Cluj - Bucuresti.
In Poland, at Lwow was a very important railway junction and one of the railways starting from there passet toward Romania via Cernauti( the city was also occupied by the Austrians in 1775 till 1918).
I don't ask you to make this new change if it takes too much effort but I regret I forget to tell you in the first post.

About the government type, I don't know. I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that there should be invented a new form of state government: The Police State dominated by a national ideology, but not an extremist type like Fascism or communism. Policwe state was not democratic but didn't distroyed the democratic political class. The political class in Romania didn't want to take responsibility for the catastrophic situation Romania was in front of and almost pushed the Marshall Antonescu to leadership. Even Antonescu saw his rule as transitory one, as good only for a difficult period as the ww2 one. He was a man of honour allways respecting his word. When the fascists( named legionairs) in Romania wanted to take the power, Antonescu started a several weeks war against them imprisoning their heads till the arrival of the communists on 23 august 1944. Hitler also chosed to collaborate with a nationalist and capable military leader instead of loyalist fanatics.
I hope I didn't became boring with my explanations. If I did, sorry. I will eaggerly look for your posts and maps in civ 3, civ 4 or whereever. If you'll need a collaborator for new historical map, here I am. I like both history and strategical games! By the way, what's your country?

Originally posted by aeldrik
I haven't seen anything, but I would sure be interested (do you remember where you read it?).... If they really improve the Editor, I would change my mind and make more scenarios..... as it is just weeks of work to make a good scenario, I just want to be sure the bugs have been removed by Firaxis first....
if you guys read something, please let me know, as I promise to make more scenarios if Firaxis adds Editor options or at least fixes the major bugs still around.... (I'll make a poll asking for which one...)

aeldrik, I found Jesse's announcement I referred to earlier. Unfortunately, however, I couldn't find it at CFC, but at another Civ-site (and it is only a translation, not in English). There was a reference to CFC, but that led me to the main page (not very helpful).
From what I have read it seems to be a special thread to which you have to sign up - or even be "invited" to sign up - here at CFC. There should be a discussion about new features and so on.
If I can dig it up here at CFC, I will let you know. However, it seems rather secret so I am not sure I will be successful.

@absolut_nonsens: if you wan't to change the scenario to fit your needs, please feel free to do so, it is really just a basic version, everyone shoudl go ahead and make the most of it for himselft....
there is not much you can change about the way the CIVs behave... under rules-->Civilizations is where you can set the AI type, and they agresivity, but that's already about it!!

The load times are a huge problem, for me as well, but as you notived, I only like accurate scenarios, I tryed making a smaller WW2 scenario, but it's just not accurate any more... (I actually first made an even bigger one, but it was just not loadable anymore).... this problem, well, thx Firaxis again....

The railroad problem, again thx Firaxis, is a big problem for all scenarios, lots of people have asked for a way to limit railroad movements, but since they don't seem to listen... well, the point is I placed the railroads absolutely based on gameplay, not on historical principles. I only placed them where I wanted units to be able to move very fast, while I wanted most of eastern Europe to take more time to cross, which is why they are no railroads there...

about the goverment: there are just too few options you can change between the goverments, which is why I didn't create a new one (especially since War weariness doesn't work for scenarios)..... again, thx ....

I always enjoy all kind of historical Information, I tried to make the scenario historically realistic, so go ahead and give me all you have, it will all be (if possible) on the CIV4 version....
I read you comment on Phoenix's scenario, and it was also my first reaction when I first saw his scenario a long time ago. However he has been making some improvements. Just one hint, always post the things you think should be improved, not just critics, some people at CFC have a very bad temper and react like children when you dare say something about their creations (not Phoenix) and I had some arguments with some people as I sometime posted too agresively myself (people you don't have an atlas sure shouldn't make scenarios, I just seeing Frankfurt in Switzerland,....)

The reason I went for such a huge map was to represent in a decent way the smaller countries of Europe, even though I had to delete 20% of the cities I had on a previous scenario on the same Era.... As I come from belgium (now in Germany) I just hate all these scenario not even representing my country, or just with one city (should be at least 3 cities), which was why I started making the scenario in the first place.....
I hope all of you coming from smaller European countries feel kind of the same...

@CellKu: thx for searching, please let me know when you find more (doens't matter the language, I get along....)
I didn't know they were some secret/privat parts to CFC, but seeing the way some admins behave it wouldn't surprise me too much...
They are lots of discussion threads about new features, I posted in (allmost) all of them, but they just don't seem to care, these guys should at least just inform us better....

Originally posted by CellKu
From what I have read it seems to be a special thread to which you have to sign up - or even be "invited" to sign up - here at CFC. There should be a discussion about new features and so on.
If I can dig it up here at CFC, I will let you know. However, it seems rather secret so I am not sure I will be successful. [/B]

Secret threads? You have to be "invited"?

If this is correct, its very depressing and demotivating!

I have already deciced to cease work with scenario-creation
after September.

To some extent for the same reasons aeldrik have and
also for personal reasons.
If there really exists secret threads where you have
to be "invited" I will consider to drop off earlier.

Rocoteh

I hope what I said about the "secret" thread isn't wrong. But I inferred this from what I have read at www.civ3.de (that is the source where I read about Jesse's post-release project).
There it was said that civ3.de-members could apply to be admitted to a private forum hosted here at CFC. Since you had to apply and to be a very engaged player (that was mantioned as a requirement), it seemed to me that that special forum isn't open for everybody. And because I couldn't find anything about it here at CFC, although I searched quite eagerly, it seemed to be kind of a secret. (I would be happy if someone could tell me that I had searched closely enough and it isn't secret at all.)

If you want to read about Jesse's project you can find it at www.civ3.de (but it is German) under Newsarchiv (upper left of the page) and there under the news form January 2004 (you have to scroll down a bit).

CellKu: I found the comments from Jesse Smith and yes, there seems to be a private forum here at CFC only for a few registered members... what seems interesting to me, is that CIV.DE made it public to its users and offered some of them to be on that Forum,

DID I JUST MISS IT, OR DID CFC NOT BOTHER TO DO THAT FOR IT'S MEMBERS????? has anyone more info on it?

ummm is there ANY chance of being able to get all those units in one folder? and if i ever get it, where should i extract them to?

well, they already are in only two files,..... most are in the download files, all the missing ones you can get from CCJ39's site (see first post of the thread) in one rar archive... read the readme for the instructions as to where to download them...

i went and copied the conquests units into scenarios/WWII aeldrik/art/units and the same with PTW, when i tried to load the American save start it can't find the British rifleman...

@ Captain ,- open the editor, load the main scenario and check the PRTO entry for the british rifleman (PRTO_XXXXXX), the XXXX is also the name for the folder where the unit is in. Copy this folder into ur scenarios/scenarioname/art/units folder.
Hope it helps ya.

Sorry to bring up British Rifleman yet again but.......

I have copied the folder into the conquests\ww2aeldrik\art\units folder and renamed it british rifleman , yet when I try to load save game (as commonwealth) I keep getting error saying cannot find art\units\British Rifleman\British Rifleman.INI

I can't think of what i have done wrong:confused:

@Davo: no Renamo shoudl be necessary in the first place... did you do the following:

unzip the zip file in civ3\conquest\conquests\
you will then have the ww2aeldrik folder, in art\units\... you will have the british rifleman... why rename?
It is also very important that you unzip the scenario file to the right folder, it has to be in the civ3\conquest\conquests folder along with the other Firaxis scenarios.....
hope this helps...

Top Bottom