WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

Dear Paasky,

I would love to be of any assistance that I can be. I have my Master's Degree in International European Affairs - concentrating in Post WWII Decolonization in the Mid. East, S. Asia, and N. Africa.

Off the top of my head the first significant change that I and others would love to see is "General Winter" make its appearance in late 1941 and early 1942. Again in late 1942 and early 1943.

I do not know if Python scripting allows for that kind of creativity, but weather is the one missing link to making a tremendous WW II scenario

Yes, we are going to have General Winter, every winter. Here's some snippets from my PM discussion with snarko, our Pythonist ;)

Well Hell, I've deleted those messages. Anyway, the terrain changes into snow tiles with a certain probability, which goes up & down depending on the time. And the map has 5 different zones for that to happen, each with different percentages depending on the time of year (except winter & summer when the prob of snow is 0% & 100% respectively). And as Norway-Denmark, Sweden, Finland & USSR get automatically a snow-bonus, it will be a time of peril for the others to wage war.

Paasky said:
Yes, we are going to have General Winter, every winter. Here's some snippets from my PM discussion with snarko, our Pythonist ;)

Well Hell, I've deleted those messages. Anyway, the terrain changes into snow tiles with a certain probability, which goes up & down depending on the time. And the map has 5 different zones for that to happen, each with different percentages depending on the time of year (except winter & summer when the prob of snow is 0% & 100% respectively). And as Norway-Denmark, Sweden, Finland & USSR get automatically a snow-bonus, it will be a time of peril for the others to wage war.
Wov, impressive :eek: Tough that just means i'll wage more wars southward :D

Dear Paasky,

Very impressive. I truly look forward to downloading and playing your scenario once it is complete. Excuse my ignorance (perhaps a previous thread explained this), but will you be adding any new units? The North African campaign that came with Civ 4 is rather weak and I am hoping you can recreate the same magic you produced in Civ 3.

Heres the full unitlist:
Code:
CZE_L_TANK
Panzer T38

GER_L_TANK	>	GER_L_TANK2
Panzer II	|	Panzer II-F
		\	GER_M_ARTY
			Wespe

GER_M_TANK	>	GER_M_TANK2
Panzer III	|	Panzer III-H
		\	GER_L_TANK_BUSTER
			StuG III

GER_M_TANK3	>	GER_M_TANK4	>	GER_M_TANK5
Panzer IV		Panzer IV-F	|	Panzer IV-H
					\	GER_H_TANK_BUSTER
						Jagdpanzer IV

GER_H_TANK	
Panzer V Panther

GER_H_TANK2	>	GER_VH_TANK
Panzer VI Tiger		Panzer VI-B Kingtiger

GER_D_BOMBER	>	GER_D_BOMBER2
Ju-87 Stuka	|	Ju-87D Stuka
		\	GER_S_BOMBER
			Ju-87C Stuka

GER_M_BOMBER	>	GER_M_BOMBER2
He-111			He-111H-16

GER_H_BOMBER
He-177 Grief

GER_N_BOMBER
He-177 Grief NUKE

GER_J_BOMBER
Ar-234

GER_JN_BOMBER
Ar-234 NUKE

GER_L_FIGHTER	>	GER_I_FIGHTER	>	GER_I_FIGHTER2
Bf-109E		|	Bf-109G			Bf-109K
		\	GER_S_FIGHTER
			Bf-109T
GER_A_FIGHTER	>	GER_A_FIGHTER2
Fw-190A			Fw-190D

GER_J_FIGHTER
Me-262

GER_A_TRANS
Ju-52/3m

GER_A_RECON
Fw-200

GER_MISSILE	>	GER_MISSILE2
V-1			V-2

GER_L_TRANS
Opel Blitz

GER_H_ARTYAA
88mm AT/AA

GER_R_INF
GER_SMG_INF
GER_MG_INF
GER_RAT_INF	>	GER_AT_INF	>	GER_AT_INF2
GER_SPECOP
Scharfschutze

GBR_L_TANK	>	GBR_L_TANK2
Matilda Mk.I		Matilda Mk.II

GBR_M_TANK
Crusader

GBR_M_TANK2	>	GBR_M_TANK3	>	GBR_M_TANK4
Cromwell		Cromwell III		Cromwell VII

GBR_H_TANK
Churchill

GBR_VH_TANK
Comet

GBR_L_BOMBER
Mosquito

GBR_M_BOMBER
Blenheim

GBR_H_BOMBER
Lancaster

GBR_D_BOMBER
Typhoon

GBR_L_FIGHTER
Gladiator

GBR_I_FIGHTER	>	GBR_I_FIGHTER2
Hurricane		Hurricane Mk.II

GBR_A_FIGHTER	>	GBR_A_FIGHTER2	>	GBR_A_FIGHTER3	>	

GBR_A_FIGHTER4
Spitfire	|	Spitfire Mk.V		Spirfire Mk.IX		

Spitfire Mk.XIV
		\	GBR_S_FIGHTER
			Seafire

GBR_J_FIGHTER
Meteor

GBR_L_TRANS
Bedford Truck

GBR_R_INF
GBR_SMG_INF
GBR_MG_INF
GBR_RAT_INF	>	GBR_AT_INF
GBR_SPECOP
SAS

USA_L_TANK
Stuart

USA_M_TANK	>	USA_M_TANK2
Sherman			Firefly

USA_H_TANK
Pershing

USA_L_TANK_BUSTER
M10

USA_M_ARTY
Priest

USA_M_BOMBER
B-25 Mitchell

USA_H_BOMBER	>	USA_H_BOMBER2
B-17 Flying Fortress	B-17G Flying Fortress

USA_N_BOMBER
B-29 Super Fortress

USA_L_FIGHTER
Brewster Buffalo

USA_A_FIGHTER
P-51 Mustang

USA_I_FIGHTER
P-39

USA_G_FIGHTER
P-47

USA_G_FIGHTER2
P-38

USA_A_RECON
PBY Catalina

USA_A_TRANS
C-47 Dakota

USA_L_TRANS
GMC Truck

USA_R_INF
USA_SMG_INF
USA_MG_INF
USA_AT_INF

USSR_L_TANK	>	USSR_L_TANK2	>	USSR_L_TANK_BUSTER
T-26			T-70			SU-76

USSR_M_TANK	>	USSR_H_TANK_BUSTER
KV-1			Su-152

USSR_M_TANK2	>	USSR_M_TANK3
T-34			T-34-85

USSR_H_TANK
IS-2

USSR_VH_TANK
T-44

USSR_L_BOMBER
Il-2

USSR_M_BOMBER
Db-3

USSR_H_BOMBER
Pe-8

USSR_N_BOMBER
Pe-8 NUKE

USSR_L_FIGHTER
I-16

USSR_A_FIGHTER	>	USSR_A_FIGHTER2
La-5			La-7

USSR_I_FIGHTER
MiG-3

USSR_J_FIGHTER
Yak-17

USSR_A_RECON
U-2

USSR_A_TRANS
Li-2

USSR_M_ARTY
Katyusha

USSR_R_INF
USSR_SMG_INF
USSR_MG_INF
USSR_RAT_INF	>	USSR_AT_INF

ITA_L_TANK
L6-40

ITA_M_TANK
M13-40

ITA_L_BOMBER
Fiat CR.25

ITA_M_BOMBER
Spaviero

ITA_L_FIGHTER
Fiat CR.32

ITA_A_FIGHTER
Macchi 202

ITA_R_INF
ITA_SMG_INF
ITA_MG_INF
ITA_RAT_INF

FRA_L_TANK
Ft-17

FRA_L_TANK2
Simoa S35

FRA_M_TANK
Char B1

FRA_H_TANK
ARL44

FRA_M_BOMBER
Bloch 510

FRA_L_FIGHTER
Dewotine 510

FRA_I_FIGHTER
Dewotine 520

FRA_G_FIGHTER
Breguet Br.691

FRA_R_INF
FRA_SMG_INF
FRA_MG_INF
FRA_RAT_INF

POL_L_FIGHTER
Pzl.11

POL_D_BOMBER
Pzl.23

POL_M_BOMBER
Pzl.37

POL_L_TANK
TKs

POL_R_INF
POL_MG_INF
POL_RAT_INF

FIN_SKI_INF
Code:
Nationality_Class_Type

GER_N_BOMBER = German Nuke Bomber

Classes:
RAT = Rifle AT
S = Sea
I = Interceptor
A = Air Superiority/Air
G = Ground Attack/Ground
D = Dive
J = Jet
L = Light/Land
M = Medium
H = Heavy
VH = Very Heavy
N = Nuke
R = Rifle
SMG = Submachinegun
MG = Machinegun
AT = Anti-Tank

Paasky said:
Does anyone know of any other "tank busters" except the M10 for GBR/USA/FRA?

Well, the Germans had the Elefant tank which was a version of the Tiger used for Tank-hunting roles. Though as it was so slow it didn't make a very good hunter. As for the russians, the T-34 could probably be classed as a 'tank buster' due to it's powerful gun. In fact Russain tank guns were ironically the only guns which worked well at piercing Russian Tank Armour.:lol:

Let me refrase that: Does anyone know of any other "tank busters" in addition to the M10 for GBR/USA/FRA?

And I'm not talking about tanks, but the ones without revolving cannons (StuG, Jagdpanzer, SU-series, etc). Althoug yet again the M10 is an exception, but it was classified as a tank hunter if I remember correctly.

There are over 200 units, so you should be able to find the correct unit for the correct purpose:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 446
List of US Self-Propelled TANK DESTROYERS in WW2:

M18 Hellcat
M3
3 inch GMC M10
3 inch GMC M10A1
90mm GMC M36
90mm GMC M36B1
90mm GMC M36B2
See Pictures Here

France don't have Self-Propelled Tank Destroyers.

GBR
Self Propelled 17 pdr, Valentine, Mk I, Archer
Anti Tank SP17pdr M10 (Achilles) (I'm not sure)

More details here

Uh... I am not contributing any to this effort, so I have no right to say... and I surely don't want to dampen the enthusiasm that is contributing to this fantastic mod.... but you sure are adding a lot of units..... a la SOE....

How about more choices via events than more units to choose from. The promotions allow players to customize units anyway.

In any case, thanks for all the hard work, its looking great.

Well, SOE had every single WWII unit ever made for civ3 in it, while I have different classes & I try to give atleast 1 unit per class for the countries that had a big war-industry. Also, some units were upgraded through the war (Panzer IV, Spitfire, etc) and I want to do this too.

The amount of units might seem high, but you can only build 10-20 different units at a time.

Paasky said:
Let me refrase that: Does anyone know of any other "tank busters" in addition to the M10 for GBR/USA/FRA?

And I'm not talking about tanks, but the ones without revolving cannons (StuG, Jagdpanzer, SU-series, etc). Althoug yet again the M10 is an exception, but it was classified as a tank hunter if I remember correctly.

Ooops! Sorry about that.

By the way, I don't know if you've already talked about this so apologies if you have, but Italy didn't actually declare war untile mid June 1940. I wonder if you're going to do something about it.

Hi Paasky

First of all I want to appriciate our great work. Really great.
I follow this thread, until 1 Month now and I wonder if I probably could give you a helping hand.

I'm from Lucerne, Switzerland and studing economics @ university. My english is not very good, so don't blame me if I don't understand something. ;)

I don't have many modding skill's. But probably I can help you with the interfacebuttons / Units . As you know there are 200 Units. Probably I can do create them that you can use them in your mod.

I created an example. Please give me a feedback. (King Tiger - Pz. VIB )
Unfortunantly, I cannot creat a .DDS File so I have to send it as a .bmp. If you have an idea how to fix that problem, please let me know.

Greez
Kat

Attachments

• Panzer_VI_Königstiger2.bmp
    28 KB · Views: 272
  • Panzer_VI_Königstiger3.bmp
    28.4 KB · Views: 229
It's always nice to find something I've done makes people comment on it. It's an international forum, so everybody (actually most) won't be native english speakers. Neither am I, so the language wont usually be too hard to understand :p

That 2.bmp looks wondeful! I mean really great. Especially the name is a good idea, as civ doesn't have them shown. I'm guessing you're going to start a modding trend ;)

I'm actually thinking of making a full overhaul of the interface & make it more gray, so those black & white images will go perfectly. Just a few things: The images have to be 64x64 in size, and please, please don't stretch them, but rather cut certain parts off. Here's the dds converter I use: http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412#Download . Usage is simple: just open the program, browse into the folder with the images, select what you want, and convert into DDS files.

I know have only 2 full days to make the game workable :eek: For now, all leaders will have the personality (& 3d-head) of Napoleon, as the LeaderheadInfos is just too huge a file to edit in that time.

I will have 2 different maps: 1 with the original 104x64 size, mostly made by NKVD, and 1 with a halved size (52x32) for the lower spec machines. This is to keep the word "Fast" on the title. Both maps will be fully supported, I'll just have to find some way to halve movement for the smaller map.

Top Bottom