WWII Europe: Small, Fast & Beautiful for IV - Discussion & Creation Diary

Paasky said:
There is no USA. :p

Hungary

The first and most willing of the Central European Axis allies, Hungary started its collaboration with the fascist states of the Axis in 1927 signing a treaty with Italy. Formal and informal ties with Germany throughout the 1930s lead to Hungary's active participation in subduing and dismantling of the Czechoslovak state, from which it obtained a number of territories. Hungary formally signed the tripartie pact on November 20, 1940

Romania

Joined the Axis in on November 23, 1940 after Russia occupied half of one of its provinces (Moldova, June 28, 1940) and Germany and Italy forced it to relinquish half of another (Transylvania) to Hungary on August 30, 1940.

Bulgaria

Joined the Axis in November 1940.

Yugoslavia

Yugoslavia joined on March 25, 1941, but a British-supported coup d'état two days later put Yugoslavia's participation in question (although King Peter II of Yugoslavia actually declared his adherence to the treaty), leading to a German occupation of Yugoslavia in April.

It just that it seems Germany wont be enough strong without those cities and half of poland

Also I have a problem with happiness...it is extremely low...so should I give religions to civs and/or those ressources..the cities need temples

Yeah, there are new religions: Axis, Pro-Axis, Allied, Pro-Allied, Soviet & Neutral. And after the buildings/religions are placed, then we can look into the happiness things (I'm planning on having the 1st BETA out in exactly 2 weeks, guess for what day? ;))

Also, Germany will have a good infastructure (all tiles railroad), factories, a biggish army, and it will prob take most of poland in a few turns.

Paasky,

How are you going to balance-out the starting OOB (order of battle) between the various country?

If this version of the scenario represents Sep 1939, the start of the war, you should definitively think about using historical OOB of the major countries since those are well documented.

Since your current unit size is not division, you do of course to adapt it to the one used in your scenario but the historical OOB will give you a indication of the ratios between the countries (number of armor, infantry, tactical bomber, fighter squadron, etc...)

I was also thinking about religion representing ideology. However, how will it affect gameplay? (for the rest of this post, the term ideology represent religion)

For instance, what gameplay effect will pro-axis ideology have in your city? And what building will it unlock? And what do these building do themselves?

Perhaps one goal of ideology should be that it represent the effort of the major country (UK/Allied, Germany/Axis, Soviet Union/Communist) trying to influence all the other countries to their ideology. This would then influence favorably the diplomatic effort of the major country toward that minor.

However, will it be possible to have more than one sphere of influence (ideology) in a country? If so, what are the impacts? And is it logical that such a thing is possible? Think of Berlin under the influence of Axis, Allied and Communist...

I think you need to define ideology civics and buildings in order to help us understand what you're trying to do.

Lastly, if the above ideas make sense to you, pro-axis and pro-allied should be removed. If Germany has Axis has a state ideology, and bulgaria has pro-axis, then Germany has no positive influence on bulgaria since they are 2 different ideology.

OOB: Give me reference and I'll refer ;)

Ideologies: Yes, I also thought that 4 would be enough. Perhaps a python script creating unhappiness if a city has non-state ideology. Also, if the unhappiness goes on there could be a German/British/Soviet revolt. The neutral ideology would make happiness.

Perhaps a python script creating unhappiness if a city has non-state ideology.

you dont need a script for that. under a civic (or all, but only from one cat) find NonStateReligionHappiness, and enter a negative integer. but it might be best to have at least -2, to combat the +1 that is gotten naturally

Thanks for that! Well, a script that if the unhappiness pro-longed, a notice saying that a civil revolt is about to happen will pop-up, and the player has 5 turns to bring in a military force to counter it. Oh wait... what about the AI again...

EDIT: maybe a combat bonus for the Germans/Soviets/British-French if the unhappy city has their ideology? 10% per unhappy number? So even if the Germans captured Moscow, the Soviets would have a city size*10% combat bonus (because of the revolt). After the revolt is quelled, the city would still have many unhappy citizens, giving a smaller bonus.

Yes, they have a religion civic, which works like free religion. But as the spread of religions are handled by the law area, a civ with the No Alignment (no state religion, +1 hapiness from every religion) civic & either Wartime Propaganda or Secret Police civics won't have any religion spread. But as the religions don't just go around into other cities almost at all (spread is only 10%), the spreading is done by an unit (I need a name for it) that works like a missionary.

Hmm... I've ran into a problem with the units. How can I make the Panzer II (for example) buildable by all others except USSR, GBR, POL & FRA? The same thing as the orig wwii:sfb had. Although the trade resources will be done differently. Remember that all units are buildable by all who don't have their own unit of that class.

I really don't want to add EVERY unit into almost every civs "civ-specific" unit list.

the spreading is done by an unit (I need a name for it) that works like a missionary.
Maybe agitator ? Or promulgator ? Or maybe instigator ?

Paasky said:
Hmm... I've ran into a problem with the units. How can I make the Panzer II (for example) buildable by all others except USSR, GBR, POL & FRA? The same thing as the orig wwii:sfb had. Although the trade resources will be done differently. Remember that all units are buildable by all who don't have their own unit of that class.

I really don't want to add EVERY unit into almost every civs "civ-specific" unit list.

I believe you can require a state religion to build a unit in the unitinfos.xml file...

<StateReligion>NONE</StateReligion>

If you do use religion like you described this should be easy to impliment :)

Oh, and it would be easy to impliment the US involvment without making them an actual Civilization. Just have a tech for lend lease that enables a wonder that allows the player to create US units in the city that has that wonder. The US units could be extremely cheap to produce but limited like spies are. A script or other limiter on where the wonder could be built (e.g. require the palace & allied "religion") could control it to some degree.

Paasky said:

How about a ressource that would exist only under a couple of city of a given nation? For instance, german unit ressource exist on the hexes occupied by the city of Berlin and Munich. You need to have that ressource to build the German units.

Mix that with the Ideology as a prerequisite, here Germany is Axis, and only Germany can produce German units.

It's a simple way to do it. There might be more elegant way to do this. I haven't assimilated all the Civ4 xml technicality yet.

DarthCycle said:
I would go for propagandist or propaganda agent. Anything that relates to the term propaganda since promoting an ideology is an act of propaganda :)
Weird why i didn't think of the simplier words in first :crazyeye: :D

Btw, maybe we could get different names for propoganda agent for each 'religion' :)

I'll do some search on this...

Seven05 said:
I believe you can require a state religion to build a unit in the unitinfos.xml file...

<StateReligion>NONE</StateReligion>

If you do use religion like you described this should be easy to impliment :)

Oh, and it would be easy to impliment the US involvment without making them an actual Civilization. Just have a tech for lend lease that enables a wonder that allows the player to create US units in the city that has that wonder. The US units could be extremely cheap to produce but limited like spies are. A script or other limiter on where the wonder could be built (e.g. require the palace & allied "religion") could control it to some degree.

DarthCycle said:
How about a ressource that would exist only under a couple of city of a given nation? For instance, german unit ressource exist on the hexes occupied by the city of Berlin and Munich. You need to have that ressource to build the German units.

Mix that with the Ideology as a prerequisite, here Germany is Axis, and only Germany can produce German units.

It's a simple way to do it. There might be more elegant way to do this. I haven't assimilated all the Civ4 xml technicality yet.

Neither will work. Here are the requirements for the system:

1) ALL national units (german, british, soviet, french & italian troops) have to be buildable by EVERY civ, EXCEPT the ones who have their own unit in that class (germans can't build the t-34 (medium tank) because they have a medium tank: Pz.IV).

2) The units should not be buildable UNLESS the two civs have some sort of agreement to do so (Trade resources would work well).

Crash: Propaganda Agent in German & Russian should be fine.

Top Bottom