XP home or XP pro

I use Home XP on my machine with a home network of 4 computers without any problems. Mixed OS - 2 x XP and 2 x 98.

Don't listen to the win98 guy. Even if price is an issue you should be getting WinXP. Any computer you can get for $800 can probably run WinXP without any problems, and WinXP is several orders of magnitude better than win98 in terms of stability.

For the Home/Pro question, I'd say go with Win XP Home since I do think you would be using any WinXP Pro - only functionalities. Basic networking stuff is included in WinXP Home, and I do not think you'll use anything more.

Linux distribution, Mandrake, RH... + Wine-emulator to emulate windows programs :D

Originally posted by ainwood
I meant the one on the initial splash screen, not the task-bar once its loaded. :)
As was I...:) I thought I saw it change when I switched to another theme on the computer, but maybe I was wrong. (Green is home, right?)

Originally posted by Kuningas
Linux distribution, Mandrake, RH... + Wine-emulator to emulate windows programs :D

Or Gentoo B-)

Seriously though, Civ3 just performs too slowly under wine still.

Don't get windows 98. Don't listen to anyone who's just trying to be different, they will only make your life more complicated to please their preferences. If I were you I would get XP Home. You just don't need Pro which is more robust. Pro has features like dual processor support, dual monitor support and other networking advantages.

Originally posted by GrandAdmiral
Don't listen to anyone who's just trying to be different, they will only make your life more complicated to please their preferences.

*kicks Mac computer out of window* ;)

Originally posted by munzy
Go with Home, Lefty. From what you stated you are going to be doing with your system at home you won't need Pro - but make sure the PC is powerful enough to handle it. I'd recommend 900+ MHz and 256 MB of RAM - minimum.
I installed XP Pro a couple months ago, but got lots of stupid errors that caused the computer to reboot for no reason. I supposed my system is not powerful enough to run it (1.1 GHZ, 256 MB RAM). :(

I don't want to spend money on a new comp anytime soon. 1.1 GHZ and 516 MB RAM (added 256 MB recently) is sufficient for most tasks. ;)

I've ran XP Pro on my 850Mhz, 256MB RAM with no problem, Thunderfall.

Originally posted by VRWCAgent
not even an administrator will have access to their files without deleting their account and saving the files.

You just haven't thought long enough about it. There are many ways to vircumvent this (especially if you have physical access to the computer and especially when you have admin status on that os).

1. You could just change/delete their password. You are the admin afterall. (Note that your children WILL be able to tell that you broke in if you do it this way.)

2. There are ways to decrypt their passwords. This will require some knowledge of windows and of cryptography (or decrypting tools).

Originally posted by Thunderfall

I installed XP Pro a couple months ago, but got lots of stupid errors that caused the computer to reboot for no reason. I supposed my system is not powerful enough to run it (1.1 GHZ, 256 MB RAM). :(

I don't want to spend money on a new comp anytime soon. 1.1 GHZ and 516 MB RAM (added 256 MB recently) is sufficient for most tasks. ;)

My boss runs XPPro on a 300mhz PentiumMMX laptop, I think he may have 256mb on it, and it runs fine. We deploy a lot of machines here with 400mhz PentiumIIs, 256mb, and they run fine.

My 850Mhz Athalon was a bit slow with 192mb, but when I bumped it to 256, it runs just fine too.

Maybe you just had a weird install?

Originally posted by Thunderfall

Nah, XP can run in a 500mhz computer.
XP Pro doesn't reboot unless it's being affected by a virus that gives the order to reboot, or you may have some failing ram module.

When you're installing XP from 0, turn off the cablemodem, only turn it on after you have installed a firewall and an antivirus. Blaster virus can affect within seconds after the setup of any internet connection, and cablemodems are usually connected without needing any settings. So it'd better be unplugged.

You should install it after formatting the hd.
Get someone who knows to install it.
I once had been three days on a friend computer trying to get around a failing ram module, blaster virus, a cablemodem, internet explorer, and an old cd drive, in a newly installed xp.
After me, XP runs perfectly on a Cyrix computer of 400 mhz.
You can tweak it to work fine on old computers, although it does need 256Mb to run fine.
Although, my mate doesn't know much about computers, and the firewall may give him headaches as he can't deactivate some accidental url blockings. Use Opera.

Haven't found nothing wrong with Home Edition . . .

EDIT: Fized the spelling to please V2010, the new Language Police . . .

Originally posted by Vancouver2010

Haven't found anything wrong with Pro Edition ... (your spelling, on the other hand... ;))

Yes, now if you got the Pro Edition legally . . . oh, wait, I am not supposed to mention that, am I?

Top Bottom