1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Complaint Thread ...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by JohnnyRico, Nov 7, 2005.

1. JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico Chieftain

:coffee: it's the day before thanksgiving here in the states. I'm blowing off work too, posting here and generally not doing anything productive. :D This thread had really degen'd off topic, lol.

2. BLOODYBATTLEBRA

BLOODYBATTLEBRA Chieftain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3944699.stm

And I quote:

" There were 673 men in the charge - of which probably fewer than 200 died.

In contrast, during the Crimean War more than 16,000 soldiers died of diseases such as dysentery. "

Not to mention the Russians were totally scared of the crazy British after that. And why wouldn't they be? I'd be scared of someone running at me like that, apparently fearless.

3. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Considering the original title was "...", a renaming was definitely in order.

(And we've always had the Police State civic. ;))

4. cheesejoff

cheesejoff Chieftain

The unit promotions are the only point I agree with.

But I laughed when I read "Writing leads to Alphabet? That's just dumb"

Imagine them trying to develop an alphabte without writing - "Alright, we're going to make a letter which we'll call "a", it'll be shaped like, sort of ... a sort of circle....with a line coming out form it, then curving a bit. Yeah. I would like to write it down and show you, but I can't, BECAUSE I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WRITING IS!"

5. LadyTetsu

LadyTetsu Chieftain

Flanking is an odd term, but I think maybe I can explain how they got to it. . . you understand the enemy's rear and sides are his flanks - thus if you make a flanking attack, you're mobile enough to whack him from behind in standard combat. (subs do some nifty stuff along these lines in TRW) You'd also be mobile enough that if your enemy bit back, you could dart away faster, thus the retreat ability.

As for pinch, simple enough. Historically, gunpowder and any balistic weapons are ineffective at very close range: the firing line is under attack and can't put out waves of projectiles. Thus, in some cases where ducking won't work, the opposing non-projectile forces would try to very rapidly close or pinch the gap, thus breaking up any wave of missiles and maybe greasing a couple of crossbowmen. Not ever a first-line idea, but if you're on a field, you're close, and ain't nothing to hide behind, try to lop off his head. . .

6. Syagrius

Syagrius Warlord

<deleted>

Moderator Action: Alright, you can keep out of it. --Padma
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

So your saying no patch yet huh.

Do you mind if I check back later for one that may or may not be there.

8. DaveDash

DaveDash Chieftain

I agree with many of the original posters points.

Games these days arn't a basement effort by a couple of highschool Kids (I.e. how Activision started)

Gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry now, and for a game to be shipped with a French Language Tech-Tree, so many technical issues, and Install/Play disks swapped around is not acceptable.

Certianly not acceptable as 'game of the year' status - that's for sure.

If this game wasn't 'Sid Meier's' Civilization - it would not have gotten the reviews it did, because in my mind, as an avid gamer since the Commodor64, it is a good game - but hardly worthy of the praise it has gotten.

It's not asking much to expect that people get a proper, professional product. Many people say 'well the game has some issues but what game doesnt'.
    Im sorry, I havnt actually heard of such a big name production with as many as the issues this game has had, unprofessional errors such as mislabeled disks, etc.
    Add in the patch issues and it just doesn't get any better.

This is simply unacceptable and continuing to laud the game as some sort of Great Work Of Art is going to lead to more unacceptable products in the future.

I think however it deserves to be said that in situations like this, one has to take a stern look at the Publisher in question, and give the developer who has a good track record the benefit of the doubt.