Yet another xml problem

nfignewton

Chieftain
Hey guys! First off, I love your site. I've always come here for evrything Civ :)
WHy i'm writing tonight is i have a problem loading the game.
I've had civ4 vanilla on my system since it came out and its always worked fine, even thru the upgrades i've given it, even an upgrade to vista!
Being just after christmas, i got a bunch of new gift cards and decided to finally get BtS and Colonization. When i get to step 6 about loading XML i get the error message below. I know there are a hundred and one forum posts about this but after an hour+, i couldn't find anything that matched my problem that closely.
I haven't changed any files or folders. If i hold down enter theres a constant flow of errors that never seem to stop just like the pic.
Maybe its cuz i've been looking too long or the late hour, but i can't seem to get anything to work. :( I'm sorry if this has been posted and i missed it. I honestly don't want to be cluttering up the boards.
One more thing, I'm not running any mods if that makes any difference. It was a clean instal of Vanilla Civ4 and then BtS and then Colonization

errors.jpg

I'm the only user on this computer so i have admin rights. Is there something different i need to be doing when installing then?

in some vista versions you need to expressly tell the operating system that this game can use admin rights during install or it will fail. To do that you need to right click on the installer and all patches and choose run as admin. An admin account in Vista does not automatically cut it. Do the below (sorry I have no idea what kind of hidden files Colonization leaves - but that being a standalone game it should not interfere with the rest. If you do not have Warlords ignore those parts and make sure to run all installers and all patches with admin rights - i.e. do not just put the disc into the drive and choose install in the screen that comes up but use the windows explorer to manually click on the setup.exe in the disc :)

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

Sorry for the late response... Been rather tied up with school startin up again. Just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU! Everything works fine now.

Top Bottom