you screwed up firaxis

ChiefTonfa

Prince
this thread shall address possibly my biggest problem with civ, along with cities overpowered cultural range. now, its always nice when u declare war and a bubble pops up asking u if you're sure about such a major decision. whats not so nice is when someone asks u to declare war on someone, and that bubble doesnt pop up. whats really not so nice, is that the words for declare war are right on top of the red end turn button, and sometimes i think the turn is ready and i know theres nothing to do so i click the red button, but....there was a little lag in the character pop up screen asking me to go to war, and all of a sudden it pops up and remembers my click in the same spot that says declare war that i meant to click end turn, and theres no friendly bubble double checking. so all of a sudden im at war with a super powerful friend, because an annoying weak civ asked me. and i haven't saved for a while. entire games ruined!! because u didnt include the make sure button!!! you bastards!!!

a) load the autosave
b) wait an extra 3 seconds in future, or buy a faster computer.

...or, press enter rather than clicking the red button to end turn.

a) load the autosave
b) wait an extra 3 seconds in future, or buy a faster computer.

I'd say both.

...or, press enter rather than clicking the red button to end turn.

There's even a message that comes up telling you press Enter to finish the turn. How did Firaxis screw up when you're just too impatient to wait out your full turn? It sounds to me like you were the one who screwed up there, I've certainly never had that problem. Quit blaming other people for your own mistakes. That's called responsibility.

no way as much as i play the enter button would wear out faster than the mouse. it was a huge mistake to not have the are u sure bubble there. sometimes i even accidently clicked it when i knew it was there meaning to clcik decline. and autosave slows u down.

Obviously the papers are warping your brain. Try one hitters.

Surely, as an emperor player, you can recognize when its time to end your turn. (Not being mean spirited here. Just reminding you to wit untill you see them before ending your turn.)

Keyboard and mouse cost about the same. Enter vs click the button is kinda pointless.

this thread shall address possibly my biggest problem with civ, along with cities overpowered cultural range. now, its always nice when u declare war and a bubble pops up asking u if you're sure about such a major decision. whats not so nice is when someone asks u to declare war on someone, and that bubble doesnt pop up. whats really not so nice, is that the words for declare war are right on top of the red end turn button, and sometimes i think the turn is ready and i know theres nothing to do so i click the red button, but....there was a little lag in the character pop up screen asking me to go to war, and all of a sudden it pops up and remembers my click in the same spot that says declare war that i meant to click end turn, and theres no friendly bubble double checking. so all of a sudden im at war with a super powerful friend, because an annoying weak civ asked me. and i haven't saved for a while. entire games ruined!! because u didnt include the make sure button!!! you bastards!!!

When someone asks me to declare war, the leaderhead is right in the middle of the screen, with the declaration of war message right underneath him or her. The red end turn button is in the bottom right corner.

They always ask to declare war inbetween turns though?

Yeah, I am confused as everyone else here...

The 'end-turn' button is at the very bottom right hand corner of the screen (which, incedentally, I never used, and for the first couple of years, didn't even know ended your turn!!)

The 'declare war' diplo text is almost dead in the center of the screen...

Unless you miss SIGNFICANTLY, then it would be impossible to miss the red button, and scroll halfway across the screen, to hit the 'declare war' text...

In addition, you can turn off autosaves?? How??

My #1 and #2 biggest gripes with civ IV:

1. The controls don't work properly. Control click, alt click, and shift click don't work consistently, especially if you try to select all then unselect some. For any game, faulty controls is a pretty big mistake. And this one has been in civ IV for years, not months. Is it that hard to fix broken controls?

2. They programmed the interface to lie to us in vassal situations and via hidden modifiers...and allow the AI a number of non-difficulty related handicaps.

No one screwed it up, except for your computer. I have had the same problem, but, what to say? Autoload or take it easy..
We do all now of it, so just try to avoid it :)

When someone asks me to declare war, the leaderhead is right in the middle of the screen, with the declaration of war message right underneath him or her. The red end turn button is in the bottom right corner.

Yeah, but the Declare war text, is like a box, so you may press the war text instead of the button :)

Oh please! :rolleyes:

This is nothing more than a pathetic excuse for blaming someone else for your own screwups.

Please. Cut the drivel. The OP is rightfully complaining because he pressed a button to end his turn and it resulted in his declaring war on an AI. That isn't his own screw-up. That's a failing of the game, which executed a command separate from the one he issued based on his interface.

There are a number of related problems. Workers set on a path will move next to barb units when the player already has sight of them (it's supposed to interrupt the pathing of endangered units if they're known to be endangered).

Units MOVING AS A STACK will LEAVE THE STACK WITHOUT SPECIFICALLY SELECTING THEM to attack an enemy unit...but ONLY if it's in the fog? What the hell?

It will declare war on occasion if you click on the a leader's name on older machines, because for some reason, the game still thinks you're holding alt even if you aren't. I was able to reproduce this on two machines. Why is this even possible?

There is enough delay on older machines (that still meet minimum reqs and are playing on minimum settings, mind you) that you can issue a command and have it do something else because what's displayed and what has been logged has happening don't align later in the game.

As I mentioned, the controls don't work...and while that doesn't directly affect game outcomes unless you have a timer, it is ANNOYING.

A lot of these things are under the radar because overall the game is great. But seriously, CONTROLS THAT DON'T WORK? That's more befitting of material that shows up on Angry Video Game Nerd than one of the most strategically involving games of all time. Why can't they make the controls work by patch 3.19?! That's a MUCH BIGGER issue than any gold overflow nonsense (where they introduced a bug, by the way).

How can it possibly be the game's fault when it provides a message saying "Press Enter to end Turn." You just wait until that message appears before pressing anything and nothing can go wrong.

I've never had this problem at all, but sometimes I'll be hitting Enter automatically in the early part of the game and give my second city away. One of the reasons I keep autosave turned on.

Speaking of which, is the default when someone asks you to declare war that you declare war? If so, pressing Enter will start the war.

How can it possibly be the game's fault when it provides a message saying "Press Enter to end Turn." You just wait until that message appears before pressing anything and nothing can go wrong.

Clicking the red button ends the turn too. Or it's supposed to, when it isn't declaring war.

You have more than one method to end the turn. Sometimes, you don't want to cycle through all available units to move or wait for the automoves (if you have any) to finish before clicking the button.

Yes, there are ways to bypass the flagrant failings of civ IV's command interface, but those sound more like excuses in defense of the game, rather than excuses by the player. We're told the end turn button ends the turn. We are not told that the end turn button might actually declare war on your nearby friend and lose you the game unless you resort to reloading.

A lot of the other things I quoted are being ignored here, but are real, current issues with 3.19 (and before) that are serious problems. If I'm NOT HOLDING ALT, why is it declaring war...and...why can't I select my effing units without it turning into a 10 second production? It's ridiculous.

Forcing players to wait and waste time because the game might do something other than what you instruct if you don't is *not* good design implementation. Just as the OP title states, they screwed up. Is it enough to ruin the game? Of course not, but there is absolutely no denying that fireaxis gummed up civ IV controls badly. BADLY. When you're commanding 100+ units in a given turn, having stack selection and move working improperly is inexcusable.

I did that once. Clicked to end turn only to have an AI lag up asking for a war declaration.

The key word in that sentence is "once". After that I always wait for the button to go red and the click to end turn text to show up. Hasn't happened since. Also, as I've grown better at the game I find that even at the end of my turn I'm usually scrolling around the screen before ending either to check the turns of a build in a city or watch for barbs or see what my scout has in his sights, etc.

If it happens regularly you just need to be more careful, but yes, there is the point that it should have been designed not to be triggered accidentally in that way.

One of my bigger gripes is the AI sneakily using defensive pacts to force you into war (Asking you to sign up with them only to have another AI declare on them the moment the turn ends). Likewise is the instapeace. When the AI will be at war with someone and ask you to join in. You agree rather than suffer the penalty with your ally only to have them instantly declare peace the moment they've dragged you into the war.

Other gripes... You offer them a tech and they say no deal is possible, only to turn up the next turn demanding it off you, prompting a penalty when you refuse.
Asking you to go to war when you are already at war with 2 or more other civs. I mean come on... having a diplo penalty there is unfair. You know the AI wouldn't come to your aid if he was fighting off two other civs.

... (1)You agree rather than suffer the penalty with your ally only to have them instantly declare peace the moment they've dragged you into the war.

Other gripes... (2)You offer them a tech and they say no deal is possible, only to turn up the next turn demanding it off you, prompting a penalty when you refuse.
Asking you to go to war when you are already at war with 2 or more other civs. I mean come on... having a diplo penalty there is unfair. You know the AI wouldn't come to your aid if he was fighting off two other civs.

I have to call you a whiner on both counts (1) & (2).

(1) The AI is poor at manipulation, yet you complain when they try to manipulate you and you know from previous games that it can happen! It doesn't ALWAYS happen, you know.

(2) The AI has to have ways to adjust their attitude from THEIR perspective. When they "demand" something, they were probably looking for an excuse to dislike you more. When you refuse it, they have their excuse.

THE GAME ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE "FAIR"! You've got varied geography, varied politics -- you can even lose your 100xp Warlord in a 99.7% attack (unless you choose to never use it :lol: ). How are you going to deal with it?

End of Rant. :mad:

I have no problems with the rest of your post, BTW.

Top Bottom