Your favorite in game unit.

The Javelin Thrower. I love the enslavement ability, nothing like harvesting free slaves from barb camps. I keep a few around all the way to the end, you never know when even a modern age AI might still have a Longbows in play.

The Javelin Thrower. I love the enslavement ability, nothing like harvesting free slaves from barb camps. I keep a few around all the way to the end, you never know when even a modern age AI might still have a Longbows in play.

I just got a barb slave in one of my recent games. it was just odd to me. I knew how it happened but weird nonetheless.

I keep some Old Elite stuff around because the AI is notorious for keeping old units. You never know when some warrior will show up in 1960AD.

:lol:

Panzers are for me. One of the only industrial unique units, it is very usefull. Anyway i like Germany best.

Dare I say it?

Artillery.

It is the first bombarding unit with a range greater than one, so it doesn't have to be as exposed as the rock-throwers. Rails are in by the time it can be built, so it can move just about anywhere.

I really like the ability to quickly take down some hot-shot super UU defender to the redline-I-need-life-support status before squashing it like a Junebug with my last remaining Elite Sword. :trouble:

Yeah, I'm sick and twisted. :mwaha:

Dare I say it?

Artillery.

It is the first bombarding unit with a range greater than one, so it doesn't have to be as exposed as the rock-throwers. Rails are in by the time it can be built, so it can move just about anywhere.

I really like the ability to quickly take down some hot-shot super UU defender to the redline-I-need-life-support status before squashing it like a Junebug with my last remaining Elite Sword. :trouble:

Yeah, I'm sick and twisted. :mwaha:

why not just wait for bombers? mass build bombers, and by the time the war starts, you only need like 5 infantry to wipe out the entire enemy (tanks/cavalry would be nice for faster movement)

why not just wait for bombers?
I don't like trying to move any of the air units; that process feels cumbersome to me. In games past, it seems like the Air Force is always playing catchup to what the Army has already done.

Not much of a reason I know. I just find Artillery easier to use. :dunno:

I just find artillery bothersome, because you always need to keep them defended, and they have to get real close to the enemy to attack, so its an easy capture of artillery. with Bombers, you can attack from a good range, and after you move units into it, you can move a small task force of bombers (which you didn't use to bombard the city because you saved them for this purpose) to go into that city and if any enemy unit comes close, you bombard it and kill it before it can even attack you. then move the rest of your bombers to that city, and start over (I think it works better that way, especially coupled with infantry)

PS-for faster moving units, like Modern Armor, nothing works better than 100 Stealth Bombers (yes, I am speaking from experience)

Very true... I think artillery is still best though. It moves every bit as fast as the units defending it, easy/quick to build, and its the only unit that attacks and does damage without ever taking damage. I cannot think of a time I've ever lost an artillery unit that was properly guarded... usually two or three infantry on even the most massive stack will do the trick. The AI is typically more concerned with re-taking cities or attacking weak units. To me, it also seems to get results better than other bombard units, with the exception of radar artillery and stealth bombers (the latter you still have to worry about getting shot down). Same for me... usually artillery spells game over for my neighbors.

Artillery is cool in that when you use it in a turn, it defends your stack where it was used - considering you're in the field when using it.

Bombers are awesome, base them in a town on the front and you have a HUUUUGE area of bombardment - plus defense from the town. If you have bombers and the AI doesn't - game over. If the AI has bombers - you'd better get them fast or game over.

Among ordinary units, I tend to favor the Cavalry. They pack a lot of power for their cost and are cheap to upgrade from Knights.
Among unique units, I like the Gallic Sword, with the Dromon a close second.

Among ordinary units, I tend to favor the Cavalry. They pack a lot of power for their cost and are cheap to upgrade from Knights.
Among unique units, I like the Gallic Sword, with the Dromon a close second.

I like the Dromon too, an excellent uu on archipelegs, you can bombard cities then capture them at a time when no other civ can do this from the sea.

If you could have beserkers and dromons then that would be cool.

I like the Dromon too, an excellent uu on archipelegs, you can bombard cities then capture them at a time when no other civ can do this from the sea.

If you could have beserkers and dromons then that would be cool.

Combining berserkers and dromons would probably make the player nigh invincible.

Cavalry is a great game breaking unit. They are truly game breakers until infantry rears it's ugly head. The tank while incredibly powerful is still hard pressed to dislodge a well placed (ie, in a metropolis with plenty of arty) infantry army. Not an army per say, but ya know.

Although I do have a fondness for for cruise missles as well. A) I think they are real neat, but they will also lay waste to any navy that encroaches in your oceans and they do a wonderful job of softening up fortified positions. Not economical in some ways, but they are a one turn unit in a good production city and they get the job done. In a very spiffy fashion.

Artillery.

I usually build hundreds of them and enjoy using them to mass bombard enemy cities/units/territory.

In games past, it seems like the Air Force is always playing catchup to what the Army has already done.

this drives me crazy too. you waste a whole turn moving an entire air force and they do nothing.:rolleyes: Then the real workhorses take the city/cities and on the next usable turn, you move that whole air force again and they do nothing.... They are super in the beginning of a war when you have them in your border cities but that bogs down quickly with a decent combined arm assault that moves at the speed of light.

Cossacks (in C3C) are simply amazing. It is like having modern armor in the Middle Ages. Usually, there is at least one nation nearby that lacks saltpeter, and you can destroy them easily. The Blitz ability means you can destroy units 2-3 times as quickly and promote faster.

I personally enjoy the ICBM. Probably only an option on lower levels but if your economy can build about 10 or so, you've already ready won. (Also, who seriously doesnt enjoy an all out nuclear war :p)

For standard units, I'd have to say the Tank/Cavalry, they really dominate at the end of their eras when nothing can truly challenge them.

Top Bottom