1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite in game unit.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Civman33, Aug 14, 2008.

1. darski

darski Regent in Training

Interestingly enough, there was a poll going here just recently and very few chose the nuclear option for game playing. Most of us said we only use them rarely or not at all.

2. mr_lewington

mr_lewington King

I'd assume it's becuase at higher levels, you don't get to screw around. I personally can't see Nukes being even slightly possible on Diety.

3. Shad77

Shad77 Chieftain

Kind of like real life..Army leads the way.

4. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

My favorite attacking unit remains the archer, especially the german and the chinese ones. Let's go for immediate action!

I also like the king of pillagers: the impi. No iron, Xerxes? Too bad! :mischief:

5. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

No silly, the Marine Corps leads the way.

Aien't
    Real
    Marines
    Yet

6. dariusII

dariusII Commander K-9

I'm not a warmongerer when I play but when it's time to take control of my continent, it's all about getting to your foes quickly. That's why my favourites are the Rider and the Cavalry. The Mounted Warrior is good too, as long as you are careful to protect them while they are healing, since they have a poor defensive rating.

I only use ICBMs when the game is over and I want to play a 'few extra turns'. I enjoy seeing how the other Civs react and come after me. :evil:

7. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

I really don't think anything even compares to Cavalry. One of the units with the longest stand as "top of the line" and for good reason. I always make sure I have a stack of Knights with Leo's workshop ready to take some names.

8. Theodora

Theodora Chieftain

The absolute greatest unit of all time, hands down, is the humble Worker.
    No game can be won without the Worker.
    Workers rule.

9. Civman33

Civman33 Gunship Pilot

By the way, what are nuclear weapons useful for anyway in the game?

10. Hasdrubal Barca

Hasdrubal Barca Emperor

Numidian Mercenary - A 2/3 unit that replaces spearmen for more 10 shields but gets +1 offensive power and doesn´t need strategic resources, good for defense until Cavalry and for counterattacks against wounded units, pillaging and swarming the enemy, sure it costs 10 more then the greek hoplite but it belongs to an industrial faction, which compensates, can kill Warriors, Swordsmen, Horsemen, Archers, Spearmen, Javelins, Anc. Cav, Bowmen, Chartiots, War Chariots, 3-Man-Chariot, and so on if used properly with catapults.

11. Maiden666

Maiden666 Chieftain

My favorite units would be the Immortals and the Panzer (i can't decide between them). I've always been partial to Persia nad Germany, but these units just dominate the battlefield if you have them, i always can't wait until my first panzer rolls out of the factory and when my immortals get near enemy cities. :D

12. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

The Crusader, first and foremost. I tend to build lots of fortifications, and they make great combat engineers. Second, the Dromon. Devastating in naval combat early.

13. darski

oh... yeah. I forgot that they could do that. :hmm: but then if you don't build fortifications anyway why would you do it with Crusaders?

14. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

so workers can be doing other things, perhaps?

idk.... I don't usually care to get crusaders.... too much of a hassle...

15. darski

I have always found that fortifications have a very short shelf life other than in a choke point. Most often, when I have to defend a choke point it is because I have a city there.

In any good war, your front changes too quickly to be held to a fortification. The other problem is that when the war goes against you, your enemies can use your forts.

16. Argetnyx

Argetnyx Emperor

thats exactly what i do

17. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

Most of you are wrong. Cavalry in its various forms {Cossaks, etc.} is the crucial unit. It's your chief offensive weapon at the time when your empire begins its serious expansion. Even when tanks/panzers become available, an elite, four-cavalry army is your most dynamic unit. Didn't Chesty say, "We're surrounded! Take no prisoners!" ?

18. Argetnyx

Argetnyx Emperor

wait, barricades stop all movement right? so building barricades on all of your borders can work against cavalry and tanks/panzers. im going to go and try that.

19. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

but don't barricades also remove like mines and irrigation?

I thought they did... but I'm not sure

20. Argetnyx

Argetnyx Emperor

no they remove airfields, outposts, and radar towers. they just cover up mines and irrigation