Your favorite speed

What is your favorite speed?

• Total voters
Does anyone now how much longer a marathon game is compared to a normal game? I always play at normal game speed so i don't have a clue.

Marathon is indeed time consuming but my sense of historical realism cannot bear starting a war in one era and ending up halfway through the next by the time it ends. Seen another way, that means wars often lasting hundreds of years. Likewise, requiring decades and more to sail across an ocean doesn't work for me.
In practical terms, the game does require suspending disbelief around time but there is only so much of it I can swallow. Marathon makes it easier to stomach.

Does anyone now how much longer a marathon game is compared to a normal game? I always play at normal game speed so i don't have a clue.
Normal = 500 turns.
Marathon = 1500 turns.
So your answer is 1000 turns longer (i.e. 2 whole games).

Marathon is indeed time consuming but my sense of historical realism cannot bear starting a war in one era and ending up halfway through the next by the time it ends. Seen another way, that means wars often lasting hundreds of years. Likewise, requiring decades and more to sail across an ocean doesn't work for me.
In practical terms, the game does require suspending disbelief around time but there is only so much of it I can swallow. Marathon makes it easier to stomach.
This is another strong motivator for me to play Marathon.

normal

i feel like the others are not the "real thing", and well games are long enuf alrdy so marthon etc. isn't my thing at all

I used to like epic, but I realized I have started well over 100 games, but finnished about 4:eek2: so now I like mostly quick, but sometimes normal.

normal

i feel like the others are not the "real thing", and well games are long enuf alrdy so marthon etc. isn't my thing at all

Real thing?

So you think its realistic take tens of thousands of years too sail a round the globe ONCE.

And your spelling is awful so that leads me too think that you are a 8 year old.

You're slamming another user for three misspellings, with a single sentence that contains three mistakes? That's got to be satire, right?

3 extremely poor, hard not to notice mistakes. If they were minor then i wouldn't care, but really! Look at them!

I don't know Falcon, that was some pretty basic mistakes.

Anyway, remember that personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum, so at least try to stick to the subject.

3 extremely poor, hard not to notice mistakes. If they were minor then i wouldn't care, but really! Look at them!

You know the old saying "the pot calling the kettle black"? The pot insisting that the kettle is "blacker" doesn't make it better. ;)

Look, I don't mean this as an attack, but purely objectively you've barely written a post without several mistakes (including words like "frist" or "biger" in thread titles). And this is perfectly okay in my book, because I don't care about misspellings, and neither do most other people here. Actually, playing grammar police is explicitly discouraged in the rules of this forum. Given these circumstances, you are in a very bad position to introduce a grammar police attitude to these forums, don't you think? :)

Falcon, I see the other guys mistakes (though enuf may have been purposely chosen like using kool instead of cool, because they think it's more kool/cool that way. And, alrdy could be seen as shorthand), but your mistakes are as obvious to me and bug me just as much. In the end, if you are going to ridicule others about grammar and spelling then yours should be perfect, barring simple typographical error.

So you think its realistic take tens of thousands of years too sail a round the globe ONCE.
So, you think it's realistic to take tens of thousands of years to sail around the globe once.

Anyway, remember that personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum, so at least try to stick to the subject.

I do think the point that was to be made has been made clearly now by several people, so yes, let's all return to the thread's topic now. :)

Personally, I still prefer Marathon, though I've seen that some mods offer even slower speeds ("Snail", "Eternity"). I'm not really sure whether these would be more enjoyable for me than Marathon, but I might give them a try some time ... they wouldn't make sense without all the additional content these mods add though, I think.

I once saw a screen shot announcing a culture victory after 400 hours of gameplay.

Compare to my first game on Quick, Settler, Tiny World at 16 hours for a culture victory.

I once saw a screen shot announcing a culture victory after 400 hours of gameplay.

Although that could have been someone like me who tends to slip into sleep in front of the monitor, wakes up 8 hours later, and immediately continues with his next turn. ;) I think I once had 300+ hours on a regular Marathon game this way. ;)

Although that could have been someone like me who tends to slip into sleep in front of the monitor, wakes up 8 hours later, and immediately continues with his next turn. ;) I think I once had 300+ hours on a regular Marathon game this way. ;)

you "should" get some more sleep.

Top Bottom