Your favourite Civ 3 experience / Game / Scenario

ellie

Emperor
Just curious, which has been your favourite CIV3 experience? MP or SP?. What was the situation?. Or was it a pre-made scenario?.

For me after 7 or 8 games now it is the current one. Marlas europe map, playing as the english and trying to keep the continent at war without 1 civ dominating too much. Sea power proving more usefull than expected as able to ignore invasion risk and place troops where and when i want.

What about you guys?.

Not really a favorite (note the correct spelling. ;)) moment, but a couple that stick out as particularly sweet:

I was 3rd in tech, and slowly loosing ground. I kept trying to buy techs to catch up, but I didn't have the funds to do it. It was towards the end of the Middle Ages. I discovered I could buy all the required techs to get out of the MA and into the IA. I was counting on being a Scientific civ to get that extra tech, and I could use it to buy back some of the gold. The deal would have left me with practically no gold, and a poor military.

So I bought the techs, slingshot into the next age. Ahead of everyone else. :) Got Nationalism as my free tech, and was able to sell it back for not only all my gold and a hefty gpt as well, and made good profit off of selling to the other civs. Economic war engaged, and I pulled (and stayed) ahead in tech for the rest of the game. Easy win after that, but it was a struggle to get there.

Another time, it was a very peaceful game. Had one short war that was good for me. The rest of the AIs stayed in peace. Got close to finishing the UN, and declared on my next biggest rival. Dogpiled him, and when I completed the UN and the vote was called, I won! Of course, I was counting on that, but that was the first time I actually implemented that kind of win.

Spent a lot of time playing DyP and RnR, so I guess that could qualify as a favorite.

I'm tempted to say my first (SP) Demigod win which was nice and involved a fair amount of warfare in the industrial age with stacks and stacks of artillery, but I'll go with my first game. God, I can still see the layout of the map and a replay in my head. :crazyeye: I had no clue what I was doing, but that was what made it so fun. I was the Americans, on an island with the Aztecs. I fought a long war with them and wiped them out, gaining the whole continent. Persia, meanwhile, took out all of England, Zululand, and Germany!! India stayed content on their 2 big islands. Persia won the game in 2050, but I played on...to 2463 AD. I built 'army bases' across the world, stationed planes there + units, tried a naval invasion against Persia w/ carriers, etc. It was extremely fun. And of course I remember that Precision Strike was bugged (you could only bomb your own cities) since I didn't have the patch, so I'd quell resistors by bombing my cities (needless to say, it didn't work. ;) ).

LOL bombing your own cities?.

No idea how you win on demigod, im struggling to rise above monarch. But i always play the english which might be it. Know what you mean about super-civs though, i set 5 civs onto my nearest rival (poland) and they have wiped 3 of them out and doubled their landmass... bad move on my part lol.

Turner: Sounds a fun game..what era do you usually fight in?. I try to get a tech lead and then go infantry/tanks/arty..unless i need to fight for resources/space.

Usually I'm a IA/Modern era myself. I too like having a good tech lead (or sufficiently crippling the AI through GPT). I also like Cavs and using them in war. Infantry/Arty stacks, and then Tanks and Modern Armor for rapid advancement. Blitz is nice on the tanks, and my domination usually picks up then.

Turner_727 said:
Usually I'm a IA/Modern era myself. I too like having a good tech lead (or sufficiently crippling the AI through GPT). I also like Cavs and using them in war. Infantry/Arty stacks, and then Tanks and Modern Armor for rapid advancement. Blitz is nice on the tanks, and my domination usually picks up then.

GPT thats where you offer say 200 gold for 9 GPT or something?

AI never accepts it with me, and im always paranoid they will declare next turn anyway to get out of it ;p

No, that's GPT as in Gold Per Turn, usually for a tech, sometimes a lux or resource. Keep piling enough GPT on them, and the don't have gold to upgrade units, or keep improvements. Go to far, and they declare war to get that gpt back.

Turner_727 said:
No, that's GPT as in Gold Per Turn, usually for a tech, sometimes a lux or resource. Keep piling enough GPT on them, and the don't have gold to upgrade units, or keep improvements. Go to far, and they declare war to get that gpt back.

... and cripple their research.

Turner_727 said:
Not really a favorite (note the correct spelling. ;)) moment, but a couple that stick out as particularly sweet:

Actually, he lives in the UK and over here it's spelt "Favourite" :)

My fav situation of all time in Civ III has to be when I was the Germans and the AI (I think it was the zulu) demanded money off me (I forget the amount) and they declared war. My prepared army walsed into their territory and took their entire civ in a matter of turns. :D How I love Regent games :)

Some of my favorites are in the war academy!

My last PBEM game was really intense. I was playing India, which I picked because I thought it was the weakest PTW Civ. There were three other human players Playing Aztec, Persia and Greece, and 4 AI on pangaea emperor level. I had the Zulu AI and Vikings AI on my border. I was able to eradicate them and was leading the game by a little. I made a non-agression agreement with the Persians because I was worried about the Greeks. At this point I had decided I would need culture or space race to beat the Persians, since I bargained away the military option. The Aztec player could not keep up with emperor and he was already out. I had infantry, artillery and cavalry, and I had a tech lead so the others did not have replaceable parts yet.

So I went to war with the Greeks, and left a few units behind in a couple different cities. I was hitting the Greeks pretty good when the Persians backstabbed me and took 2/3 of my cities, including all the productive cities. I mean all of my core cities were gone, including several major wonders, all marketplaces, banks, university, libraries, cathedrals, forbidden palace, everything gone! I have never been so mad when playing a game before.

What I did have was about 8 cavalry, 50 artillery and 20+ infantry and about 40-50 workers. I lost most of my luxuries and strategic resources too. I did not even have rubber at first so I could only upgrade to guerillas. The worst part was I had virually no infrastructure (I think I had one barracks in a captured citiy and a couple temples left). The new capital was surrounded by mostly jungle tiles.

The entire Persian empire could be defended from two cities. Even with 50 artillery I did not think I could get through it.

I got an MA with the Ottomans against Persia and finished off the Greeks. Once I got rubber hooked up I drafted infantry conscripts from the larger cities. Then I turned to the Persians. I started with bombardment. One by one I started taking my cities back, usually one a turn. To my surprise there were not that many units in the first two cities, and I was able to retake them with my large force of 8 cavalry backed up with artillery and infantry for defense. I only lost a couple cavalry, as redlined riflemen do not put up much of a fight.

Since they were my old cities, retaking them made them productive and the culture expansions made it easy to position artillery for the next assault. One by one the cities fell and I retook my entire empire, except for the few cities that he razed so I would not get them. I did get some leaders, one of which I used to move the capital far away from the new forbidden palace. This only sped up their demise. Soon I was taking Persian cities and the game was over.

Playing against people is way better than playing against the AI.

I'm still a relative noob (played for about six months), but I know my favorite game. It was the first time I'd ever used all the diplomatic options.

I was Babylon, playing on regent (I still have a competitive time on Regent). I started sharing a continent with Persia, Egypt and Japan. I wanted to be pretty peaceful and quietly build myself up, maybe for a diplomatic win (which I'd only accomplished once before). I was keeping up with expansion with my neighbors (a bit behind Egypt and Japan, actually, but close). Tech-wise I was just a bit behind everyone. In the middle of the IA, Japan got belligerent and declared against me. In the same turn I roped Egypt and Persia into a military alliance (for about 200 gold apiece) and sent the few spears/pikes I had to the border nearest Japan. Then I sat back and watched as Persia and Egypt destroyed Japan. They never even set a unit onto my soil. Within the alliance, Japan had been chased onto a small tundra island.

Next, Persia had the bloodlust and went for Egypt. By this time I had built up quite the calvary army, so I decided to join the fray against Egypt, and with Persia's help, Cleo was gone in short order. I'd increased my empire by about 60%, Persia by maybe 40% (through both the Japan and Egypt wars). Then I settled into techs and culture and surpassed the rest of the world. (America, Aztecs and Iroquois were on the other large continent, while England was stuck on a small island by themselves). I got into Democracy and made some luxury trades, so I had non-stop WLTK days and great research speed. When America declared on England, I looked down to see that England's furs were right off the ocean, so rather than paying 35gpt for them, I landed a couple transports of tanks on their soil and took them out. This pissed off the Americans, but I rebuffed their attacks with no problems.

By the time I was in the Modern age, I switched to Communism to sustain a prolonged war against Persia that I'd declared "just because" (I wanted MORE LAND). Knocked them out without much problem. Of course, by then, America had started on their spaceship and everyone on their continent had a nice nuclear defense, so I couldn't do a thing to slow down their progress. I hurried my apollo program and got going on the spaceship. I finally caught up and started on my last piece after America had already been working on their last piece for 6 turns. I kept my finger on the nuclear button, and juggled my workers on that last piece ...

I made it to space. Fun win.

I posted a thread here about it several months ago.

As the Byzantines, on a large continent with both the Persians AND the Zulus nearby (plus the Americans to my south for good measure). On the far west of the continent, The Sumerians were building a big empire AND beating me in the tech race, and Gilgamesh was being miserly when it came to the tech trade.

I was stuck next to two aggressive neighbors in the Persians to my northwest and the Zulus to my far north. I couldn't match The Sumerians Scientifically. And I couldn't get "big" because the Americans were snatching up the territory I wanted to expand into. The Ancient era was not fun. So, out of frustration, I picked fights with the Americans and The Persians to take "my" land on the mainland back. The Zulus were starting to expand onto small islands off the coast of our big continent which I had decided were "mine" but my settling parties were too slow in getting there. So I declared war on them too.

Before I realized just how many troops the Zulu had. Fighting these civs 3 on 1 didn't get me anywhere; I'd take a city and then lose it right back. All the while the Sumerians are getting bigger and building wonders (though I did manage to get the Lighthouse, which as a Seafaring Civ I really felt I needed, especially since I was feeling "small" as an empire).

Things started to turn against me, so I took a step back from the game, posted on here, and with a little help from here, I found the answer. I decided to be patient, and take them on one at a time. I made peace with The Americans for the time being, shifted to a Defensive strategy against the Zulu, and concentrated on taking the Persians out (stuck near Zulus and Sumeria, they were even smaller than I was).

And I came up with a real shifty way of doing it, too. I.E. I made temporary peace with them and bribed them into declaring war with me on the Zulus. It was a mostly impotent alliance (I'd RoP backstabbed 'em so I couldn't march through their territory, which I had had to do in the past to get to Zululand), but it served its purpose; i.e. the Zulu archer swarm diverted towards Persepolis.

Oh, and I got the Statue of Zeus built while the Zulus lost over half their swarm on the Persians, who were down to just two small towns.

Come the middle ages, the tide turned. Wasn't up to par with the Sumerians technologically, but suddenly I had AC and Knights, not to mention those lovely Dromons, so I was more than a match for Persia and the suddenly depleted Zulu forces. Back to war. Dromons sink a Zulu ship, triggering probably my best timed Golden Age ever, and with that the Knights start pouring out of every city like the sweat from your skin on a hot day. I organize an Army of Ancient Cav. The Persians are gone; Persepolis and Pasargadae are MINE. The Zulu island colony turns Byzantine red. I cut down their archer stacks in the field and make a beeline for Zimbabwae, the Zulu capital. I crush it and demand a costly peace from the Zulu, demanding about a half dozen cities from them and getting it. Probably my most satisfying victory of this campaign, as I cut the Zulu empire down to 1/3 of what it had been, what little they had left was either surrounded by me or bordering Sumeria; Zululand was basically my puppet state, and I essentially sicced them on Sumeria to do my dirty work of slowing them down while I continued to present a good face to Gilgamesh in the hopes he'd be a little less stingy with the technology [He still refused to share fairly. I would not forget this]; meanwhile knowing that the Zulus were housebroken and I could finish them off whenever I felt like it, i.e. when they'd spent the last remnants of their archer stacks in a war they couldn't win with Sumeria.

With the Persians gone and the Zulus holding on just well enough to keep the Sumerians occupied, I decided to run the Americans off of my continent. I went for the jugular; i.e. Washington. Much like with the Zulus, I ran over the capital with my armies, demanded other cities as a peace concession. However, the Americans were big, and like the Zulus had out island-claimed me [they took a large island, sub-continent size I'd say, to the south of our main landmass, it was about 7 cities big], and as I looked at that large island that I had wanted and they had taken from me, I decided I had changed my mind and declared war on them AGAIN. So by the time I was done, they had their large island colony, and nothing else.

With the Americans driven off the land mass and the Zulu swarm a thing of the past, it was time to send Shaka the way of the dodo. I finally tightened the noose around those Zulu towns encompassed fully by my territory. They're gone. The Persians are gone. The Americans have been forcibly relocated. It's now time to teach Gilgamesh how to share.

Sumeria was huge, and they had a lot of jungle territory on their side of the continent, so it was slow going, especially since my admittely weak artillery corps couldn't keep up with the knights. But gradually, Sumeria fell piece by piece, as I used the vindictive, petty, slimy war strategy I had perfected against America and Zululand; take out the capital (or the nearest large size city) and then demand a concession-heavy peace (with every intention of changing my mind and redeclaring war in a couple turns; Gilgamesh was suddenly much more willing to share technology now, but, with the other civs purged from the continent now I, too, had a large land empire and a research powerhouse too. Exit knights, enter Cavalry. Now, due to the land issues, Sumeria put up more of a fight going down; they had the numbers to take back the small towns they gave up on the negotiating table, but, ah, see, that's part of the plan. They divert forces to take back those small towns (and don't even get all of them back) while my armies hit the big cities hard, which utterly destroys their production capability AS WELL AS puts them in desperate straights so that I can redemand those small towns as terms of peace.

Exit Sumeria. They had a couple of small, isolated, colonial outposts on an island chain that reached from the southwest of our (by which I mean my) continent to the other large continent. Those tiny little hamlets were now all that was left of their once mighty, once stingy, empire.

Why I enjoy this game so much was that I was the one and only Seafaring civ on my continent, and yet, everyone else had out-seafared me; Zulus, Americans, and Sumerians snatched up all the good islands (the French, from the other side of the world, snatched up a one town island fairly close to my starting point too) in addition to grabbing much of the continental land, fencing me in to the southeastern corner of the continent. Basically, I was beaten at my own game and denied my room to leisurely and peacibly expand as I was used to doing. I wanted to be a peacible builder and a scientific leader, but I got outclassed in both fields. So I got jealous, I got mad, and I got even with a mean, massive military campaign. I was going to switch to Republican government, but I told myself (and I imagine Theodora told her people) that "we're going to have to put that off until this war is over." The war (against those four civs) lasted about 1000 years. :) And by the time the war was over and the whole continent was mine, I was making so much money per turn in monarchy anyway, I decided to just plain not bother with the whole freedom thing. Oh well. :)

And it was deeply gratifying to go from the second smallest shrimp on the continet to the bullying superpower. My humiliating reduction of the Americans and Sumerians to their tiny throwaway island holdings felt so good, too. Now I had the power to bully, and I did. I decided to assume control of that tiny French island colony for no reason other than flexing my power and informing Joan of Arc that all the islands of that world belong to ME. The French ended up gratefully accepting peace anyway.

And I settled into the role I had wanted all along: large continental empire, some shiny pretty island colonies, and being the lead horse in the technology race. I never actually finished that game; I can't remember if I wanted to go for space from there or sic my large armies on the Aztecs and Inca and French (I probably did), or even if I "changed my mind" about that American island and removed them from the that island and the game, too. Maybe I'll get back to it sometime. But it's all probably gonna feel like a letdown after fighting my way up from the bottom the way I did.

GermanRuler said:
What? How?, none of the other Civs ever have more then 10 or less gold in their treasury! what effects how much gold the AI has?
oh they do, ive seen a civ with a million or so gold.

GermanRuler said:
What? How?, none of the other Civs ever have more then 10 or less gold in their treasury! what effects how much gold the AI has?

This was on Monarch, I think, and in that game the other AIs were doing quite well.

Also, just because the AI doesn't have much gold in the bank, doesn't mean they can't afford a good sized chunck of GPT. The AI will cash rush when it has the gold to do so.

Dang it, wrong thread. Turner, you managed to be the one im responding to in both threads.

Top Bottom