Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Epic

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Marathon

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

salty mud

Deity
What game speed do you play on? What do you think is the most balanced speed? I have played on epic since Civ IV and can't see myself changing soon.

Is there any particular reason you didn't put Online speed in the poll?

Never played online and didn't know it was a speed setting. Is it a fast speed?
Yes, it is the fastest - 250 turns, as opposed to 500 of Standard. And arguably, it is the hardest for SP.

I will chime in to say that I play online most frequently sheerly because it's the fastest and I like finishing a game of Civ the same day I start it, but it's definitely the worst-balanced. I don't have too much problem on Duel or Small-sized maps, but on anything larger than that and just transversing the map takes a significant chunk of time. It's entirely feasible that an entire era will pass as you attempt to get units from point A to point B, so warfare is quite warped.

I always play Epic, but I've been wishing for a game speed in between Epic and Marathon since Civ5. The tedious Future Age GS added, however, has made me less desirous of a slower speed... :p

I am a normal person

people who play on normal are weird. what is that? oh, I play on standard of course, the superior choice (TM)

:lol:

I like quick speed because that’s what I was used to on Civ V. I did however try a standard speed game just the past two nights and it didn’t seem too slow to me. I’m gonna say Quick for now, but I’m more open to standard speeds for future games :):D

I play on Standard. I am a slow player over all.

In Civ V I used to play on Quick or Online - but the balance for Single Player games on those speeds on Civ 6 just feels way off. I like to play on standard or larger maps.

I have to say if you haven’t tried @pokiehl ’s historic speed mod I would highly recommend it. Haven’t played a game without it in over a year. It’s the perfect balance imo. But out of the options I was usually on epic

What's a quick rundown on what it does? If it's some super slow speed I'm out.

I'm an epic speed man. Back in Civ4 days I would play marathon, but Civ5 and Civ6 epic speed is the sweet spot. I did play online speed for the first time when trying to get Bolivar's achievement for his UU. It's different for a change. AI is definitely more challenging. But some things like envoys were way out of whack, I had more envoys than I knew what to do with.

What's a quick rundown on what it does? If it's some super slow speed I'm out.
I was curious myself so I'll save you a click. It gives Standard-speed production speed and slower-than-Marathon research speed.

I play standard exclusively now. I find it to be the most balanced and what the game was designed around, after all. For my first six months or so I used to only play online. I do like the quicker games and production doesn't take as long, but I found it harder to get golden ages and it's easier to build up a defensive military in case you're attacked. You can also out-tech yourself pretty easy. That's why now I just stick with standard. Plus, I find it easier to compare civs and understand their strengths/weaknesses if every game is at the same speed.

Quick.
I sometimes go for online too.

I find it more interesting when turns have more substance and when wrong moves give more penalty.

Also I rather play more games, than less with longer late game. This, like all the civilization games, tend to get a bit monotonous later on when you go the final push for already won game.

Faster game speed is a must for me, because I play really slow. Its not rare than single game lasts 50 hours for me on quick.

Top Bottom