1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your home page

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Stevenpfo, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I got a netvibes page started after reading the first few posts of this thread and rather like it so far.

On the browser wars.. I found Opera to bloated and prefer firefox's method of adding features through extensions.

2. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

I just use the Opera Speed Dial. I prefer it to having a home page.

3. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

Opera Speed Dial FTW. Firefox is for the masses. Real men use opera. :p

4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I used to have Firefox start at my local newspaper's website untill I had to reinstall Windows XP.

I'm too lazy now to change it so it's Firefox's default Google start page :p.

5. taper

taper Meet Tux

I only use Firefox, so I don't know if other browsers can do this, but you can separate several pages with "|" in options and have multiple homepages load in tabs. I have a local news site, slashdot, and fark as mine.

As long as the Acid tests got brought up, I should mention that IE 5.5, which was released all the way back in 1999 and is no longer supported, gets a higher score on the Acid3 than 6 or 7. How's that for progress?

6. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Thats cus then it had to have some compliance. now, M$ feels they have teh right to run around creating their own standards. Also, for the | thing, this is rather useful, but I also have session saver which automatically opens that same set of tabs ( fark, slashdot and local news site)

7. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

The market has shown that they can get away with it. Just look at how many sites are designed around IE rather than W3C.

8. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

That's due more to user ignorance than anything else.

9. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

That's somewhat debateable, since many major corporations are offenders.

10. taper

taper Meet Tux

Have you met the average web developer? I'm sure there are many very good ones, but far more mediocre or bad ones, and the customer usually wants it done as quick as possible, and sadly often only cares about the browser that came installed on their computer.

11. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

As I said - "The market has shown that they can get away with it."

You can blame stupid users, or blame stupid web developers, but at the end of the day many -if not most- people out there just aren't that concerned about it, and so MS has no reason to worry about how well IE complies to W3C standards.

12. Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo Emperor

I've been messing with mine again and thought of this thread. I like to share and to see what everyone else is doing so maybe I can improve my own as well.

I really like the new one because it lets me be lazy. Everything I use is on one page almost.

Attached Files:

13. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I just use about:blank as my homepage.

I only use Firefox. I even have a portable version on USB in case its not installed on other machines. I'm very very picky.