Your plans for your first post-September patch game

I just thought I would jump into a lakes map advanced start, roll earth satellite, see what the lake generation looks like.

Most lakes are 2-4 tiles. There are a handful of "seas" which are all relatively long and thin- maybe 8-15 tiles long and 2-5 wide.

Generally great for 1)Poldering 2) canals. Some lakes are a little bigger, maybe 5-7 tiles, and have sea resources, so kampungs are also a possibility here.

BUT, it just highlights the absurdity of this situation:
You can't build a polder here
Spoiler :

upload_2019-9-10_21-44-29.png

But over here is fine:
Spoiler :

upload_2019-9-10_21-46-22.png

The natural wonder can be literally any land NW including mount everest and it'll still count as land. A nondescript mountain? Why would this ever count as land? It's not like districts which must be placed in water next to land like a harbor or water park can be placed next to a one tile mountain island. No, wait, they can...
:mad:
Make mountains count as land for the polder, my goodness!

Before you guys quote the civilopedia at me,
upload_2019-9-10_21-49-27.png

Recall that you definitely cannot walk on natural wonders like uluru, mount kilimanjaro, etc.
The restriction feels more frustrating than anything because it's pure chance that you'll actually have decent polder terrain in any given game. For goodness sakes, cliffs are allowed!

Strangely.. overhere, Gameplay fails to start with that new "Lakes" map.
Checked out the Lua.log for direct hints and all it refers to is line #70 that mentions "function expected instead of nil" for 'GenerateMap'.

Maybe a mod conflict but the log itself doesn't point at anything obvious.

Weird!

Attachments

• Lua - Copy.log.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 35
Well, the verdict is in on terra maps. Thumbs down, sadly.

Great idea, but in practice civ's are packed in way too tight for this to be any fun for someone who ain't into early-rush culling.

Just kills the sense of exploration when every turn with my scout turns up another civ's units instead of a goody hut.

Maybe try upping the map size and reducing the number of civs or such? Granted that will give a gigantic new world.

I am just building anticipations for HUMANKIND

Having a blast on the Continents and Islands script. Rolled ransom and got Australia, but now I am in a mood to try a religious game ao I am going to start a new game on the same map script as maybe Georgia, Spain or Khmer.

Great idea, but in practice civ's are packed in way too tight for this to be any fun for someone who ain't into early-rush culling.

Just kills the sense of exploration when every turn with my scout turns up another civ's units instead of a goody hut.

I don't like terra maps for these same reasons, but as was suggested in another thread, Kupe could be just awesome on Terra. You could just go to the new continent and be on your own for a while, at least if you are not going for Domination and like to play turtle.

I haven't played still after the update, so I will either go Kupe on Terra and see how that goes or go for Small Contintents and Islands (I think it's called) with Inca.

Edit: Lakes map sounds awesome too with The Netherlands.

On TheGameMechanic's discord, Borderline said to scale down the AI on terra maps, 6 for standard and 8 for huge.

On TheGameMechanic's discord, Borderline said to scale down the AI on terra maps, 6 for standard and 8 for huge.
As I mentioned elsewhere, the map does not seem to redistribute space based on a reduced number of players. It just seems to allocate those 8 starting areas, and then simply removes two. Which is great if you luck into having that void where you would have a neighbor, but otherwise it's not an improvement.

To be sure though, I had already tried that (nobody really needed to tell me). However, I did my customary lowering of CS's by 2/3, and I know realize that was not necessary on Terra. The boost for Political Philosophy is not to be had.

I don't like terra maps for these same reasons, but as was suggested in another thread, Kupe could be just awesome on Terra. You could just go to the new continent and be on your own for a while, at least if you are not going for Domination and like to play turtle.

I haven't played still after the update, so I will either go Kupe on Terra and see how that goes or go for Small Contintents and Islands (I think it's called) with Inca.

My post-patch game was Kupe terra. It's sort of broken easy, especially as the majority of CSes are there. You basically get all the 'first meet' envoys and the accompanying capital bonus. You get like the first two or three eras to expand peacefully and plenty of room. I didn't even really have to worry about barbarians as I landed and planted my first few cities in the middle of several CS and they did most of the barb whacking.

My post-patch game was Kupe terra. It's sort of broken easy, especially as the majority of CSes are there. You basically get all the 'first meet' envoys and the accompanying capital bonus. You get like the first two or three eras to expand peacefully and plenty of room. I didn't even really have to worry about barbarians as I landed and planted my first few cities in the middle of several CS and they did most of the barb whacking.

Yeah, I managed to start a Kupe game and it’s just fun being alone with CS all around. We’ll see what happens once I meet other civs.

Well, its not exactly a "thumbs down" from me, but I will agree that Terra Maps can be much better implemented. Multiple land-masses per Hemisphere would be a great start (either separated or joined by small land bridges).....especially in cases where you've got a lot of Civs & City-States in the game. Feels much too crowded in my current game, & I even dropped the Civ number down to 10 (including myself).

I will go for the Maori and Terra Map; a whole continent just for me :) But playing as Harald on Terra also offers some nice role playing possibility

Loading up a new game having finally finished my last pre-patch game and switched Steam back to online mode... though hilariously it seems the game patched at some point anyway but didn't kill my saves :lol:

Going to try Continents & Islands with Suleiman!

now playing splinetered fractal dutch wet
i played the game like this and loved it.. with the new patch it works realy wel late i was anoyed with the game often but ythis brought back the fun inplaying this for me now after this game i started a game with indiaghandi on primordial map and itis nice and crazy

I'm liking the tilted axis map. Currently playing the Dutch with some ridiculous coastal polder groupings and a nice MoH city.

Top Bottom