1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zip Zip

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by MarineCorps, Nov 20, 2003.

1. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Just wondering can I zip a zip file to constantly decrease the size of the origanal file?

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

You mean zip the file, and then zip the zip file, then zip the zipped zip file? No, I don't think so. But then, I've never tried it.

3. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Rezipping once may save some space but its not really worth the trouble. (my test file went from 2.36mb to 2.31mb) Zipping more than that doesn't have any affect.

4. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

If you really want to compress, use Ace.

5. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

no, there's only so many redundant data that can be left out. zipping a second time might decrease the size slightly but that's it.

6. Jeratain

Jeratain On the can.

Get WinRAR. Better compression than Zip and Ace.

7. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

The answer is "no" and I'm 100% sure of that. In some case, the second time you zip it, the file size may be a little bit smaller and may be a little bit bigger too.

8. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Wot Moonsinger said. When you recompress a zip file, the only reduction in size you are likely to get is the compression of the file header (ie not the compressed data). However, the file then needs to add another header, and another dictionary on the end etc etc.

9. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I once had a zip file which was zipped and then made into a rar (or an ace, can't remember) file. The compression obtained by that was huge! :eek:

10. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

depends what you are compressing at first place. images ,mp3 etc are already compressed and you can't compress them any more. try if you don't believe me
    on other hand, doc files, exec. files and similar stuff offers good compression rate.

11. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Hehe try an entire civ 3 mod. I have a 56k modem at home while at school I can download the mod faster then 24 hours :eek: more like 3 minutes at school. But I did try rezipping it and indeed it only made it bigger, but I don't have winrar at the computer I'm going to work on tommorow so I will have to download it to the computer. But I do have it at home so I will be able to extract it.

12. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

I have seen that also.

And the files get LARGER if you try to zip them twice as there is nothing more to compress plus you add the extra overhead - again. The difference between zipping twice and zipping and then RARing is that they use different compression methods if I remember correctly.

13. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Actually, as you could know, compressing a file, encoding a video/wav/image, is equivalent to maximizing the file's entropy. Which is understandable. If there are redundant (=same) strings in a file, you can still compress, and add to your compress dictonnary. Actually a zipped file would have an entropy close to one (generally 9x.xx% and not 1, of course, it's impossible to reach 1). Now, if you try to zip a zipped file, or rar an aced zipped file, you will only and likely get it bigger, since you have to create a dictionnary, that will add to the filesize.

Anyway, check out www.7-zip.org. It's free, it's NOT compatible with the genuine zip format, but it's told to be much more efficient than zip, even better than rar/ace themselves. Drawback? Of course, time. It takes a loooooooong while to compress. Actually a test on 650meg of music files lead to:
    => ~625meg RAR
    => ~600meg 7zip

But 10mins compress for RAR, 23mins for 7zip. Now you see whether space is worth time ;)