Zone of Control

I like the idea of ZOC being based on a ZOC-setting for the unit - that is, a ZOC will be executed only by the unit with a higher or at least equal ZOC-indicator.

Nevertheless, this should only take place in case of war being declared. Do you remember, how often your exploring units were blocked by another unit in Civ2? I really hated this. You entered a peninsula, and suddenly there was no way back...

ZOC should definetely be available for any maritim unit as well. It is not the ONE spearman walking on the mountain, and it is not the ONE galley sailing along. In both cases it is just a group, aka a fleet as naval units are concerned.

About the modifiers rhialto has mentioned:
In case the number of tiles per map and the movement points will be similar to the ones in Civ3, those are much to high, especially if you think of playing NOT on huge maps.

@commander Bello

I think you misinterpreted my numbers. Those zoc ratings have nothing to do with how far the zoc extends. In all cases, zoc extends for a single tile only. When two units meet, their zoc scores are compared. In effect, a unit ignores the zoc from any unit with a lower zoc rating.

rhialto said:
@commander Bello

I think you misinterpreted my numbers. Those zoc ratings have nothing to do with how far the zoc extends. In all cases, zoc extends for a single tile only. When two units meet, their zoc scores are compared. In effect, a unit ignores the zoc from any unit with a lower zoc rating.

Sorry, obviously I really misinterpreted your statement.
As you explain it now, it seems to be a good idea and I would second it under the precondition of it taking place only for nations being at war with each other.

Actually, Rhialto, that is EXACTLY what I thought you meant when you first put your ZoC ratings up. In the case of Civ3 style ZoC, though, I am thinking that the difference between the units ZoC's should equate to the chance of the 'defending' unit inflicting damage on the other.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom