1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zulu Domination Guide (Deity, standard, Pangea)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by glory7, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Pretty sure he meant "improve" or "settle on". Which doesn't remove the fact that sometimes you have to work wine/ivory to keep the GPT/food balance in good shape.

2. Beorn-eL-Feared

Beorn-eL-Feared Idiot riding pedals

Yup, and granted. The wording made it ambiguous though, and I know he's a better player than I so I figured I'd ask :D

3. Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade Chieftain

Followed this strategy, this is how it went:

Zulu, Emperor, Standard map, Epic pace, Continents, Legendary start, 8 civs

I started on one of two continents together with Arabia to the west, and America to the east. I butchered Arabia with ease, and then immediatly went for America. Here is where my problems started:

-The war against America took too long. Waaaay too long! I conquered the capital without much of a fight, but they had one final city in a really tacky position (I could only approach it from ONE tile!) so eliminating the americans was very problematic.

-Once I had the entire continent for myself, I had to fill it up with cities. Here I think I got a little bit too aggressive. In the end I had 20 cities - three which were "fillers" that didn't occupy any luxaries. And three other of these 20 cities were annexed (Mecca, Washington and Minneapolis).

When the war was over I was lagging behind in tech, and I had to get my infrastructure up and running. Now followed a long period of peace.

Now it's the 1800's and I don't think there is any point in playing more. Rome is 17 techs ahead (he just reached the modern era, and I'm 1/3 through the renaissance) and leads the scoreboard. There was a period where I started catching up in tech (when I had libraries in every city, and uni's in all hammer-heavy cities, and "research" in the build queue for like 90% of my cities. But then Rome started getting tons of beakers. Problem is that I'm now having happiness issues so I can't really turn my country into anything useful. I've traded for everything I can and I'm still -6 in happiness. Due to this I have to have the "Avoid growth" checked in every single city. I only let lose on that tap every now and then.

Game is over as I see it.

...and yeah... Julius has more gold than Scrooge McDuck -_-

4. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Avoid the temptation to fill all that space with cities - it only does what you got.

5. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

* No need to take that last city.

Option 1) Make peace and take it later.
    Option 2) Ignore it.
    Option 3) When one city is hard to approach, see if you can take it in a peace deal, wait ten turns, and then take the easier city.

* No need to fill that continent.
    * Only make new cities to take the luxuries and strategics you don't have. Even then, avoid doing so unless you need to, like if someone swims over a settler.
    * Once you make contact with the second continent, you might want to secure all the excess luxuries for trade-bait, but try do this with as few cities as possible. And don't bother if you're planning to go on a conquest rampage. You won't have enough friends to use more than 3-4 copies of a luxury.
    * Raze any enemy city that you don't need. Even if you need to puppet one initially and keep it long enough to finish a conquest, it's better to later annex and raze it, than to have a useless city taking up your happiness.

* The game isn't over. Sell a city, or raze it and sell the buildings. Or just starve it down a few population. Use trade routes with Rome to catch up on tech. Steal techs from him. Take the whole Rationalism tree. Use the finisher to get an expensive tech. Use Oxford to get an expensive tech if you haven't yet. Try to get Porcelain Tower if it's still there. He may not have opened Rationalism. If not, he can't build PT.

* Don't put cities on "Research". Build cargo ships, and then focus on things that boost your economy. Max out your Universities. Beeline to Scientific Theory. WIN! :goodjob:

6. Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade Chieftain

Thanks, but I'm already doing all of this. The city that was left was the only american one so that couldn't be traded. But it was a mistake not accepting Minneapolis (the hard city) in a peace deal. The lesson learnt here was that I got greedy, and started thinking with the warmonger-penis instead of the brain :D

Game is over, and trashed. No more civ now for a couple days. Need to work on my portfolio instead!

7. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I have the opposite problem. I'll be in the middle of a domination game, and I get distracted by building a bunch of stuff. (out of old habit from playing peaceful)

Next thing I know, instead of taking over the world by t250, I'm winning a space race the slow way. :p

One of the hardest things for me to resist is research agreements. The thing is, even if you aren't planning on DoWing that civ for 30 turns, efficient domination requires focusing on your current conquest. The first and second round of RAs tend to come around right when I should be saving up to upgrade my units or rush-buy landsknecht. Sure, you might argue that one RA only costs as much as one landsknecht, but that landsknecht will pillage as much from city capture as it cost to make him.

8. gamel

gamel Chieftain

So I tried this strategy several times in deity/standard/pangea, it's very map-dependant. The ideal scenario is 2 close neighbours : one for early science caravans and the other one for archery practice. If you can achieve that, get sailing/engineering for the 3 caravans asap and profit!
    Most of the time you won't roll such godly starts, so I'm always late in tech : machinery t.12x, civil service t.13x/14x. Impis are OP but as meat shields they are weak compared to muskets with cover promotion. So after taking down 1 or 2 capitals I feel it's already too late to have fun. Impis get one-shot by towns and xbows are not strong enough to clear the units quickly.

I wonder how you can achieve turn 100 machinery, that's the main issue in my games : being 20 turns late in science.

9. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Edit: Nuked my own post because I've changed my mind about some of strategic comments I made. Not all, but enough that it would have been a pain to edit them all out.

10. thecoffs

thecoffs Chieftain

I still can't seem to get this to work.
    I've tried it on Immortal and won around turn 196 I think, but I haven't been able to get any success on Deity.
    I killed the Netherlands in 1 game early before being destroyed by Maria.
    In my newest one, I got 2 Range CBs against Ghandi but by then he had 30 Defense on his cities so I couldn't take them.
    And I haven't gotten XBows before turn 110 on any game, even with 3 caravans giving science and stuff.
    Anyone have any ideas that haven't been said?

11. hai 1

hai 1 Chief

LOL this is great

12. thecoffs

thecoffs Chieftain

I'm determined to get my first Deity win with this strategy, because it's the most fun.

Is it worth practicing on Immortal until I have the strategy well rehearsed, or just going Deity every time until it works, slowly improving every time?

13. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I'm sure most people would agree that there are much easier ways to get your first deity win than early rush. In fact, I'm not sure there's a harder way to win on deity. Just my two cents. That said, it *is* better to practice on a lower difficulty level first, but deity really changes things, so some of what you learn won't work. But in my opinion it's still better to practice on lower levels. If you've never attempted early rush on any difficulty, start with warlord and work your way up IMHO.

14. thecoffs

thecoffs Chieftain

Oh right. I didn't realise it's considered the hardest. I might just go for a science victory first then. I've gotten the Zulu rush and Moriarte's Liberty Domination to work on Immortal, but not very easily. It's just that they were the most fun

15. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Even if you're a strong Deity player, I think I'd give it one run thru on Immortal at least.

I'm an average Immortal level player. Doing this on Emperor was a cake walk, but I'm bogged down playing Immortal as it is harder to kill all 7 civs while keeping up in tech so that my Impi's aren't fighting armor. I may post a save as it is turn 276 and only Rome remains and he has more tech and better units than me so perhaps attacking him isn't best right now but surely he'll come after me.

16. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Chieftain

If you think early domination is hard, you can always shift to epic speed, it makes everything much easier. It gives us a lot more time to plan your wars, position your troops and heal them. I just finished a Huns domination victory on diety turn 157, and I didn't even face knights except when I was attacking the last civ.

I think the next civ to win with will be the Zulu for me, but I still can't decide if its better to go peaceful start and spam spearmen until CS, or I should start beating AIs with composites.

17. glory7

glory7 King

18. Haxxtastic

Haxxtastic Chieftain

How do you xp grind on cities when they run out of health? I get no exp for attacking them further

19. Acken

Acken Deity

You cant. You can use archers instead of CB though for farm to drop health slower.

20. kcbb

kcbb Chieftain

Domination is easier when the AI is closer. When I play Shaka on emperor typically the AI is a far away trek.