1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ZWK version 2.2 Beta Patch Test

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by kobayashi, Dec 29, 2001.

1. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Yes I am still on my never ending quest to get a better AI.

I am trying to change things which would not affect the human but help the AI. Some of the changes are really minor, like moving the starting position of a ship by one tile so they don't stack after a few moves but there is a significant impact.

Gukguk has agreed to playtest the 2.2 beta to see if the game offers a greater challenge than earlier versions (while still allowing the human to pick his own tribe).

Anyone else want to help out?

Also, comments on stupid things that the AI does in any earlier versions are welcome.

(Attachment removed as I have a 'b' version posted below)

2. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

I see there have been 5 downloads. Please remember that the patch can only be applied after downloading version 2.1.

Guk, how about posting your game in the Civ2 Stories forum as it progresses. That forum seems to be getting popular again.

3. Gukguk

Gukguk Chieftain

That's ok. I dont know if I will have a lot of time to playtest, but I'll try to make some.

4. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

After dozens of experiments, I finally fine tuned it so the Axis don't fizzle out so early. Seems the Soviets were getting too many T-34s too early. I've adjusted the T-34 triiger event so it doesn't change the human as Axis game much but makes a world of difference to the AI as Axis game. Now the Axis finish off most of France and Scandanavia and even try to land on England.

5. Case

Case The horror, the horror

Kobi, if you're updating the scenario here are a couple of minor problems which could be fixed:

The Type IX & VII pictures need to be swapped (the Type IX was a lot bigger then the VII)

The PZ IV has range of 2 (I guess you forgot to remove this when you changed the unit in this slot from an air unit ;) )

6. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Thanks for your comments. I actually scanned the actual subs from photos from the net but somehow the sharper angle of the original shot makes the type VII-C seem bigger as the conning tower looks as if its further back. Anyway you can't really tell which they are from this resolution so no harm swapping them around as you suggested.

I think I will be replacing a few other unit images which are a bit fuzzy. Like the BT-7, Matilda II and KV-1, Chruchill.

7. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

I'll take a peek, Kob.

Send it too my Yahoo E-mail, and I'll give it a run through by monday. ;)

Include the new tanks, if you can! :)

8. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Yeah but you are playing a PBEM game using version 2.0 (which is incompatible). Do you have Civ installed on more than one PC or is Morten permanently incapacitated?

9. Alcibiaties of Athenae

All I need do is keep them separate, Kob.

I don't put scenarios into the civ directory unless I'm Multi-Playing via the net, otherwise I store them in files I created called scenarios broken down by time period.

I got the e-mail patch, BTW, and will start playing tonight. ;)

10. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Just like the good ol days with ST:Dominion eh?

And for the rest of you guys, heres some of the new units.

Attached Files:

11. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

Kobayashi I am new to the site what is the patch, do i just download it and play the game I am sorry to bother you but I would love to hear more info.

12. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

No, you are not bothering me. That's what this forum is for.

I assume you have Civ2 FW or Civ2 MGE. Just Download version 2.1 from here (its the second one)

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmod.shtml

than apply the attached version 2.2b beta patch attached here for the latest improvements.

13. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

Just downloaded thanks:goodjob:

14. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

One thing you could try (either now or later) is to change the Road Multiplier from 2 to 3 in rules.txt. It is right at the top of the file under the @ in @cosmic. It is what I am experimenting with right now.

I have been considering but resisting this idea since two revisions ago. It will mean that

1. Light tanks can move 9 tiles
    2. Units will tend to move from city to city without ever going out into the open to be shot up by aircraft
    3. Land units can move further than planes.
    4. Maybe the established timeline of events and research discoveries will be upset.

Prefer if you try two games, one with it as 2 and one as 3. The main thing I am trying to figure out is does it make it harder for the human player or easier?

15. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Well, I'll try the road multiplier next, as for now, I played about 50 turns as the Soviets.

The allied powers no longer trade techs, and I can't even make the offer (same bug as STBAQ with my game, it also poped up in J Ellis' Colonies), but this hardly matters, as it is far more interesting to use Soviet units as the soviets.

The slopped armor events, Warsaw, and several others worked fine, as did the Barbarossa and Pact of Stell events.

The Germans still don't overrun France, though, and lost Polesti early to the Axis minors (did see the oil shortage event as well, and the Panzer Leid, as well as -100 gold for allied convoys, the B-17, long range fighter and Mustang events, as well as Miltilda II and Sherman, so events seem to be 100% so far ;) ).

Some suggestions:
    Have 2 AA Guns in Ploesti at start, as well as AA network, to prevent easy conquest by the minor Axis

The Sturmovik unit is muddy, it should be replaced, at times I couldn't tell it was a plane!

Some good things:
    The new BT-7 and KV-1 are excellent!

More to come, and I'll try the .3 road modifier also in the next playing.

16. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

I tried having two AA guns at Ploesti - but the AI always moves one away and when it touches an Italian unit, they start fighting. I've never see the Minor Axis take Ploesti in over 10 trial games. Its always the Soviets that overun it. Must be because the human player is Soviet, something I never tried. Ploesti starts off building the AA network but maybe the AI switches to something else. I'll just cheat and give it to them before the game starts.

Agree with the Sturmovik pic. Had a big problem finding a colour picture from the web (current one was B&W before giving it some green). Will try to find another one.

Why do you always play as Soviets? It does not have a full tech tree and events are not made to enhance the experience. Try Allied.

17. Alcibiaties of Athenae

I don't always play as them, the next test will be as allies.

I love the challenge of the backward Soviets, and a little secret...ever since I was a kid, I always thought Soviet armor looked cool!

Even the BT-7 looks good now!

Here is a Sturmovik, 1943 2 Seater, IL-2m

Attached Files:

18. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

I found a few pics at sturmovik.com and here's the result of three hours of work. Got a good one on my third try.

Attached Files:

19. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

I know what you mean alcibiaties about the soviets equipment. I am making a modern day Russia scenario.I have been researching info about the soviets in the 80s-90s.In the late 80s the soviets had 200 divisions 50,000 armored pieces and 6000 aircraft half that where Mig 27-29.I have found out today they have 68 divisions and about 1200 aircraft how many of those that are combat ready I dont know.Of the 68 division most are at 30% combat strenth.only 3 divisions are capable of assults outside the republic.The navy is in rust The only carrier they have left thier going to sell it to the India goverment.The only bright spot is the Arment Factorys They have been selling their works to India Iran and other places.the russians have not been getting the equipment but the research is pouring out they have Mig 33,4th and 5th generation aircraft in the Mig 27-29,the new T-90 tank is suppose to be impressive and they have a anti ship missle that goes 1700mph that even are army has no defense.
    In my scenario your goals are to remoderize the army,with the resent closing of the Intelligence base at Lourdes Cuba and cutbacks in outdated programs and systems you have 4 billion rubles to moderize the armed forces.I was ready this year the Russians launched a new sub that was a joint venture with anther goverment that is more silent than are Los Angles Class Sub.Your other goals are to recaputer your break away states like Urkraine and others and the last goal is to destroy the Islamic or Musslium states that treaten you.You will start off with a horrable state your factorys will have to be updated the army will have to be replaced.All the while surrounded by enemies not to mention Nato.Some day I will finish it but I am having so much fun making it.any idea I would love to hear :rolleyes:

20. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Decided to change the 75mm and 88mm to the same scale as the tanks - plus of course to use my own creations instead of borrowing from others.

Attached Files: