1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ZWK version 2.2 Beta Patch Test

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by kobayashi, Dec 29, 2001.

1. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

What race are you playing as? Would like to know if you found it easy or hard and how many weeks (game time) it took to win.

2. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

OK, the Soviet test is over. The turn was late, I was letting it build to see if all the units and events were OK, both the Soviets and allies reached future tech.

I'll try allies next, with the road modifier set to three. ;)

I like the new Sturmovik, can't wait for the update.

The Matilda isn't so good, it's still hard to make out.

3. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

A bit on the actual game instead of the techicalities. Was it a breeze to get to Berlin? Assuming you won, were the Allies also on their way to Berlin? What were the Germans using before the end. HE 277? King Tiger? Did you win by outnumbering them or concentrating everything into one attack. Did anyone build Manhattan Project?

You are really starting to demand gourmet standards with unit graphics. BTW, here is version d patch with the new units for your next game... including yet another Matilda II which is more to your palette.

4. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

I am going to play as the german kobayashi I am going to bootstomp all over the french LOL:D

5. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

If you haven't started yet, you might as well use the 'd' patch just above instead of the 'b' patch. Do you mind keeping a brief dairy of the landmark events (i.e. what week they occured) like when you get to Moscow.

6. Alcibiaties of Athenae

My my, aern't we touchy.

The Axis didn't build any advanced a/c, neither Fw-190, Me-262, or He-177.
    They did build tigers and King Tigers, and Panthers.

I had little difficulty getting to Berlin, the AI kept building planes and attacking cities with AA guns and city defenses.

They also had problems because I gave minor axis BT-7s, and they researched through KV-1s and T-34s.

The allies Grabed holland, but that was about it.
    I saw a lot of bombers, and it wasted Lightnings attacking cities, but I only saw a few Shermans and pershings.

Oddly enough, it didn't attack cities with Mustangs or Spits, only with lightnings and Lancasters, B-17s and Superforts.

I built Manhatten project, in fact, I built all the wonders open to the soviets.

7. Tracid00

Tracid00 Strategy planer

Kob, I just downloaded everything and I´m gonna play it right now, I need a little difference from the TSFE testing...:p :p
    I´ll try the germans, as I am quite used to that now, and I´ll keep a nice tight record.........
    I´m off testing......

Sincerly, Tracid

8. Tracid00

Tracid00 Strategy planer

Kob, am I missing something here? I find it much too easy as the germans.....:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:
    Here the record:
    ZWK 2.2b test

Axis

1st turn: Amsterdam and Rotterdam fallen, Axis air force makes strong attacks against france and Yugoslavia. A U-boat is sunk on the coast of the USA.

2nd turn: Brussels, Danzig, Katowice and Esbjerg fallen to axis forces. A french battleship is sunk by a german u-boat off the coast off Marseilles. A british battleship is caught by a german u-boat of Port Said.

3rd turn: Reims and Krakow fell to german forces. A allied battlesip and a trasport are sunk. Allied airforce suffers heavy losses. Dunkirk is reduced to rubble.

4th turn: Kopenhagen, Warzaw and Zagreb fallen to german forces. 2 British carriers are sunk. German scientist discover HP300 engine. Minor Axis take Toulon.

5th turn: Paris has fallen. Strassburg is reduced to rubble. A british trasport falls prey to german torpedoes.

6th turn: Dijon, Belgrad and Kowno fallen. British carrier in the Mediteranean sunk. Allies make strong air attack (7 fighters) against Rotterdam, are driven off by air defence.

7th turn: Lublin, Lyon and Cherbourg fallen. 2 British battleships sunk.

8th turn: Orleans, Sarajevo, Lwow and Vilna fallen to german forces. British carrier fallen prey to german u-boat of Rotterdam.

9th turn: Saloniki and Vichy fallen to german forces.

10th turn: Scutari falls. Operation Barbarossa begins!

11th turn: Nantes, Marseilles, Tirana, Rivne fallen. Allied trasport near england sunk.

12th turn: Minor nations at war with soviet union! Olso has fallen. Carrier completet in Kiel!

13th turn: Berlin completes Youth movement! Soviets take Craiova from Minor Axis. Bordeaux fallen.

14th turn: Lepanto fallen.

15th turn: Wind tunnel discovered. Kristiansand fallen.

16th turn: Stavanger and Brest fallen.

17th turn. Saloniki and Athens fallen. Craiova reduced to rubble. Kiev fallen.

18th turn: Korinth and Tallin fallen.

19th turn: allied transport sunk. Novgorod fallen.

WEEK 42: The war is decided. The german Reich has conquered all of Yugoslavia, Greece, France, Denmark and Norway. It has taken large chunks of the soviet empire. It´s main forces consist of 10 Panzer III, 63 Wehrmacht Div, 3 airborne and 9 mot. Divs. The air force consists of 9 He111(22! In prod), 3 Me 109, 5 Stukas and 1 Me110. The navy is made up of 1 carrier, 1 battleship and 6 u-boats. The preperations for Operation Sealion are completet, the british cities on the eastern shoreline are emptied by the use of bombers and battleships. 1 full transport is underway. Armies in Russia are pushing ahead fast. Italians are doing great, holding North africa firm. Confirmed losses to allied navy were 4 battleships, 3 carriers and 5 transports as well as 2 destroyers. Assumed losses to allied airforce 12 fighter aircraft.

I will continue if you want, but I don´t think I will run into any problems.......

Sincerly, Tracid

9. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

This is not one of those impossible type scenarios so its entirely likely that you will win in the end- but maybe not as easy as you think.

Axis are supposed to cruise through western and central Europe just like in history. It gets harder for the Axis as time goes and its not over till you get to both London and Moscow. See that you are content to attack Russia with panzer III and all your original equipment, you must be concentrating on rushing - a very effective tactic sometimes but not without its risks. You seem to have very few units to be operating on two fronts.

London will probably be easier than Moscow but it will delay your Eastern campaign as you can't focus all your forces. Its a trade-off. Are the Russians starting to produce AA guns and/or T-34s?

Suggest you continue, see if anything surprising happens.

10. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Not touchy, I made a new Matilda II immediately just for you.

Lightnings are not fighters, that's why they attack everything. Its true there is some wastage because of their sea transport role but they have unlimited range (for AI only) and can strike deep into enemy territory. Sometimes they'll come across some units or bombers in the open and kill them. Its the only way to get the AI to build them. They expire when Superforts appear and then the real massive bombing starts. Maybe I'll up the attack factor a bit for P-38.

So is it the Soviet research rate that's too fast? Maybe when you play Axis the Soviets will crumble in the same way. Could the Ploesti freak accident have weakened the Axis (Minor Axis has t-34s you say). Maybe I should up the recommended difficulty level like so -

Colonel
    General (Allies, MPlayer)
    Field Marshall (Axis, Sov)
    Supreme Commander

But I'll have to test for civil disorder at the start for Axis under Field marshall first.

p.s. So by what week do you think you would have reached Berlin if you didn't dilly dally?

11. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Probaly between week 100-150 if i pressed them instead of researching better tanks and planes, and fooled around taking Turkey and Greece.

The AI makes it's usual errors, attacks in dribs and drabs instead of concentraited attacks.

I don't think the Soviet research rate should be changed, the Axis basically left me alone, prefering to endlessly attack in Italy and Holland.

Let's see how the game goes as the allies before changing to much.

12. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Just had an Idea, I'm going to add an event that makes the Axis hate the Soviets after they discover Panzer IV.

13. Alcibiaties of Athenae

While your at it, why not change the Axis victory condition to include Stalingrad and Leningrad?

London and Moscow aern't enough, IMO.

14. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

Kobayashi I will download your d patch what is the difference between the B patch and the d patch what did you change.I am still going to play as germans or would you perfer some other race

15. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

d patch is more up to date but the changes are not crucial. Since the patch is small, you might as well use the d patch.

Please play as Axis first - use Field Marshall difficulty level.

16. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

Could well end up doing that. Then again, maybe playing at the next difficulty level might make the goal difficult enough. Have to see.

17. Case

Case The horror, the horror

Wouldn't Baku be a better choice then Stalingrad?

18. kobayashi

kobayashi Deity

The place where Baku is located is not covered by the map.

19. Tracid00

Tracid00 Strategy planer

Kob, I finished the game two times today, playing from week 20. One time I concentrated on the soviets, leaving only Me 109 in the west. It took a little over 20 turns to take Moscow, and after 30 turns all of Russia was mine. The Italiens got crushed in North Africa, but the allies didn´t land in Italy.

The other time I concentratet on the west more, bombing and taking London and the southern half of the british isles, but as you said there were surprises to come, and the soviets crushed my now bomber-stricked wehrmacht. I barely held my german territory after 20 turns, while the minor axis had been overrun completely.

I honestly think that field marshall should be initiatet for the german aspect of the game. In the field of science I soon outran the soviets pretty quick, the allies somehow managed to keep up a little better.

Sincerly, TRACID

20. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

Kobayashi I am playing Germans at field marshell level and I am over running the low countrys and I took paris.My navy is taking a beating in historical account that is correct.But in history the low country and france actually out numbered the german almost 2 to 1 in divisions it was the rapid deployment of German armor that out flanked the allies that caused the west to fall I am going to blitz Great britian if I can or I am thinking of saving my bombers and heading west.You did a great job on the units I think alot of them I never seen before that makes the game alot of fun.As far as events go they have been realistic so far you done alot of work on this scenario and should be pround.I will let you know how the soviet part gos I think im in for a fight at least I hope a good fight:D