RANDOM RANTS XXXIII: World, Y U make me fed up wit U?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I say I also share this sentiment.

We're friends right?

I would say so. I know more/just about as much of people's personalities on cfc than irl. I don't mind that either--cfc gives me more of a sense of community than anything else.

I just don't get why other people like changed so much over the past year even, particularly with some girls. I haven't really met many girls at my university (expected as it's about a 7:3 ratio overall, engineering classes is lower, and I'm terribly shy. my major is about 15% according to school's ethnicity data. not as bad as some majors, like computer engineering, which looks to be around 5% lol).

Basically all I overhear from girl's conversations are things about frats or sororities and parties and it really bothers me. Similarly, guys do that too. And way too many people have a mentality of "LOL failed that exam, I guess that's fine! time to go party!"

massive relatively judgemental stuff incoming, and boring stuff no one really cares about
Spoiler :

I just don't get it. It seems every (white/caucasian) girl is affiliated with a sorority. I hate hearing girls talk like this (actual conversation I overhear as I walk):

Girl 1: "something something something I think I may go to KAPPA PHI OMEGA* this weekend"
Girl 2: "Oh, you should come over to Alpha Kai*"
Girl 1: "yeah, but Alpha Kai it's like..they like force you to get drunk. I guess it depends what kind of night you want to have :) *laughs*
girl 2: *laughs* "haha yeah"

*insert any two or three greek letters you want

Every (white) girl on campus seems to have a purse or t-shirt on or something with some sorority/frats logo. There is way too much of a frat/sorority culture for my tastes. When I had to do group work in my english class last semester, I was in a group with like 3 guys and 1 girl, and they all talked about their respective frats (don't think the girl was in a sorority, but she talked about it) and how "crazy" things were. When I had another really simple group project for my major's course, I went to the library to work on it with the and frat groupmate A talked with random people that came up to him and talked about how I guess frats were going to have a drinking competition (literally talked about the "A" team and "B" team, treating it as each frat having a varsity and junior varsity team lol).

I mean, I get that drinking with friends and such can be fun, but why does everyone talk about stupid "big" parties and getting drunk? Why do people talk about "man, I was drunk all weekend, it was great!". I overhear conversations like this all day, and I just don't get it. On facebook, some of the girls I considered myself friends with in high school who were good students/responsible people post similar (less extreme though) sentiments. I don't want to see people make generic facebook status A then have random girl B say "heyy, let's do shotsss sometime!". If you want to drink, just drink and have fun, but why go around acting like that over facebook? Or have the mentality that it's something to brag about?

Why does college seem to make so many people want to brag about being some person that wants to go drink all the time. And I'm not talking about drinking with just friends, but going to some frat or sorority. People aren't saying "I got drunk with my friends", they put the emphasis to be "I got really wasted! WHOOOO".

There's just so much of a culture of "hey, they weekends are for funnnnnnn!", meaning something about some party or drinking. People are looked down upon if they just want to stay in, or heavens to bitsy do nerdy things like a LAN party--even if it is with friends in a social setting. Even when I was a freshman, at orientation the peer leaders (undergrad students that I guess are supposed to introduce new freshman to university during the orientation/bond/answer questions) verbally said things like "I couldn't imagine how people survive if they come here and just work all week and not go out [meaning not just hang out with a couple friends but "party"] on the weekends".

On the issue of girls doing this, it's not particularly a huge volume I know, but there were girls that in high school seemed to be the exact opposite of that mentality I was friends with and now seem to be acting like that. People were 18 at end of high school for the most part, now they are 19 in university/wherever. Why do they feel obligated to apparently make a significant change in their mentalities over just a year?

Whenever I'm just in the library waiting for my next class, or even in class, people just talk like this. Not only do I not meet any girls, but so many seem like I wouldn't want to meet them/would share nothing in common.

tl; dr plus one extra:
1) people who don't want to go to some greek life party are looked down upon too much
2) guys and girls have way too much of this mentality to brag about going to parties/drinking. The emphasis is on the drinking (i.e. "I got so drunk!") rather than "I got drunk with friends!". Girls I knew in high school seem to have changed to be more like that way, and it depresses me as that's the opposite of my very reserved, introverted personality.
Spoiler :

3) I just don't meet new people. In high school you talked with the people you sat near in class, and I talked to plenty of girls. There were girls also on cross country and track that I talked with frequently; in college, I'll go sit in the second or third row in the middle, and everyone crams into the back of the room. Often no one sits by me. I have good eyesight and I can't see the board from the back--why do people even go to class if they don't want to at least try to pay attention?

Along with the drinking, people seemingly "brag" about how they got C's in courses without doing work/going to class. A lot of people here (state of Georgia) can get basically free tuition if you maintain a 3.0 GPA, if you're a resident of Georgia. A "C" is a 2.0 GPA in US grading system. People would rather blow a class completely off than work just a little to get a B and maintain the state fundings (TONS of people lose the scholarship). The attitude of bragging about being stupid just depresses me to no ends, and so many people would look down on me for just being an introverted nonsocial person.

It seems everyone just doesn't care about academics at all, wants to go out and drink, and somehow have a lot of "friends" despite me almost meeting no new people, even if I try.

I never understood about people bragging about getting drunk.

I also don't understand people who brag about getting low grades because they don't feel like working. I try to work real hard but I don't get real good grades and I'd like to be smarter. So why are they wasting their brains?

Oh and there's also that infamous quote by you-know-who.... Which I've actually not found the source for. It seems rather dubious that he actually said that. I have one idea of where but I'm having trouble finding that.

If I can get my hands on the engineer who designed a laptop where you have to unplug the keyboard and the touchpad in order to get at the hard drive, and the keyboard and touchpad are both "ZIF" plug/sockets (i.e. delicate and more difficult to plug back in than traditional sockets). :mad: :gripe: :aargh:

Why isn't michelle bachmann declared ******ed//?

Probably because she doesnt match the criteria.

tl; dr plus one extra:
1) people who don't want to go to some greek life party are looked down upon too much
2) guys and girls have way too much of this mentality to brag about going to parties/drinking. The emphasis is on the drinking (i.e. "I got so drunk!") rather than "I got drunk with friends!". Girls I knew in high school seem to have changed to be more like that way, and it depresses me as that's the opposite of my very reserved, introverted personality.
Spoiler :

3) I just don't meet new people. In high school you talked with the people you sat near in class, and I talked to plenty of girls. There were girls also on cross country and track that I talked with frequently; in college, I'll go sit in the second or third row in the middle, and everyone crams into the back of the room. Often no one sits by me. I have good eyesight and I can't see the board from the back--why do people even go to class if they don't want to at least try to pay attention?

Along with the drinking, people seemingly "brag" about how they got C's in courses without doing work/going to class. A lot of people here (state of Georgia) can get basically free tuition if you maintain a 3.0 GPA, if you're a resident of Georgia. A "C" is a 2.0 GPA in US grading system. People would rather blow a class completely off than work just a little to get a B and maintain the state fundings (TONS of people lose the scholarship). The attitude of bragging about being stupid just depresses me to no ends, and so many people would look down on me for just being an introverted nonsocial person.

It seems everyone just doesn't care about academics at all, wants to go out and drink, and somehow have a lot of "friends" despite me almost meeting no new people, even if I try.

Hahah, I love how even the TLDR section has a big spoiler. ;)

You sound frustrated about these situations. Maybe I can help.

RE: Bragging about drinking/partying - What year are you in college now? Fresh/soph? I think the "bragging" that you overhear about drinking - or talking about going to parties and getting drunk - is largely the result of the novelty of that situation for a lot of students when they first start college. Most everyone is living away from their parents for the first time and is confronted with unrestricted freedom and autonomy at age 17-18ish, often for the first time in their lives. I don't think that fascination will last - the novelty of just being able to go out and drunk on a Saturday night wears off eventually, and becomes less of a topic of conversation by itself.

RE: Meeting people - how involved are you in extracurriculars? Are you making an effort to get out and meet people and make new friends, or are you spending the majority of your time in your dorm room playing IOTs on CFC? ;) You do have to try. Unfortunately that is one benefit of being in a fraternity or sorority - and part of why you probably hear too much about them, because for those people that is a major part of their social lives.

I was in a fraternity myself, and I'm about the most non-frat guy you'd ever see. I never wanted to be in a fraternity and it didn't even occur to me to look into one, because I wasn't the dumb jock smashing cans of Natty Lite on his forehead. But I happened to get invited to a party by a couple cool guys one weekend, went over to their house and found out to my surprise that this wasn't like Animal House at all! ;) These guys were smart, laid-back, fun people - and yeah, they did party (some of them) but they didn't pressure you to if you didn't want to, and they were by and large still good students. I ended up joining that spring and I lived in that house for 3 years with 30-40 other guys. Some of those dudes are my best friends to this day - almost 15 years after graduation, we're still very close. I've been in their weddings and they in mine, watched their kids growing up, gone through life's highs and lows together for over a decade now.

I'm not saying "GO JOIN A FRAT KK," but in all these frustrations, the common thread seems to be that you haven't found your niche yet. Do you feel like that's the case?

I've been slacking and haven't been working on my NES enough. :(

I failed my [censored] driving test for the third [censored] time. I'm currently looking into what qualifies as proof of residency for other states.

I failed my [censored] driving test for the third [censored] time. I'm currently looking into what qualifies as proof of residency for other states.

I'm suddenly hoping that New Hampshire doesn't readily allow out-of-staters to get NH driver's licenses. :lol:

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying I hope you never get a license. That said, why are you failing the driving test?

I'm suddenly hoping that New Hampshire doesn't readily allow out-of-staters to get NH driver's licenses. :lol:
That's a bit of a drive, and apparently you need your vehicle to be registered in New Hampshire, although the website didn't say anything about proof of residence, so I suppose I could get a rental car...

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying I hope you never get a license. That said, why are you failing the driving test?

That's why. And that wouldn't be a problem in most states.

Maybe use a smaller car?

Dear Comcast,

YOU SUCK

Love,
Person who hasn't been able to connect to the internet for three straight days now

How are able to post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom