Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

Here's my go :D (looks like I might be the first for once :crazyeye:)

Atlantis (Atlas)
UA: Domain of Poseidon: Cities may be found on coast and ocean tiles. Land tiles where no natural wonders are located cannot be worked (thus also meaning that you are not allowed to construct farms :D). All Yields on Coast and Ocean Tiles are doubled. Happiness from luxury sea-resources is doubled. Forts and :c5greatperson: Great Person Tile Improvements may be built on Coast or Ocean-tiles.

UB: Temple of Honour (replaces the Temple): +2 :c5faith: Faith. +1 :c5gold: Gold and Faith for every other Sea tile being worked. Naval units trained in this city gain +1 Movement.

UU: Aquaman (replaces the Great Admiral): In addition to the normal bonuses of a Great Admiral, Aquaman also grants nearby units +5% :c5strength: combat strength for every Sea-resource it's adjacent to. Upon death, a random sea-resource spawns on its grave.

UU: Atlantean Explorer (replaces the scout): Acts as a naval unit and thus may not enter land tiles. +1 sight. Gains the "Gods Sense" promotion, allowing the unit to spot natural wonders in a 4 tile radius.

EDIT: The Great Barrier Reef is going to be so OP for this civ :lol:

Would of posted sooner, but better late than never :D

Chernyakhov Culture under Filimer

UA: Gothic Reflections Begins with Pottery instead of Agriculture. Farms and Plantations are automatically turned into a Wahnstallhauser (Therefore, you cannot build farms ;)). Camps, Mines, and Work Boats provide double yields when completed (i.e. A mine gets +2 :c5production: when completed).

UI: Wahnstallhauser A UI that gets +1 :c5culture: and :c5faith: and can be built from the start. Provides +2 :c5food: when you research Currency. If built on a calendar resource, receive the bonuses from connecting the luxury.

UB: Wielbark Burial Replacing the Shrine, the Wielbark Burial provides +2 :c5happy: and +1 :c5culture: in addition to the +1 :c5faith: and can only be built in cities with 2 :c5citizen:. When the completed, the city loses a :c5citizen:.
I say quite an experimentation if I say so myself ;)

Fiction civ ahoy

Prideland
Scar
:c5capital: Pride Rock

UA - We'll Soon be Connected
All unit (graphically) replaced by Hyena. Can't exploit plant-based resource nor using farm, +2 :c5food: food on animal resource. Army stationed near :c5citystate: City State border increase coup chance. When killing unit, restore health like when pillaging tile

UI - Hunting Ground
Have low chance to spawn animal based resource when bordering another Hunting Ground (increased per neighboring HG and animal resources already within HG group border). Such resource inside Hunting Ground may be expended for creating instant infantry unit of your choice

UB - Food Centre (Granary)
+1 :c5food: Food per animal resource in city radius. Increase the chance for animal to spawn in Hunting Ground in city radius. +1 :c5happy: Happiness and 4% :c5production: Production on military unit per 2 excess :c5food: Food.

EDIT: Edited

The only thing I could come up with for this one, didn't wanna go for something fictional

The Inca
UA: Architects of the Highlands
Cities gain +1% :c5food: food from hills and mountains, increasing to +2% if they're adjacent to those and to +3% :c5food: if they're founded on them. Units may cross mountains and move through hills without extra movement cost, however, you may not build farms anywhere.

UI: Terrace Farm
Unlocked at agriculture. May be built only on hills. Has a base yield of +1 :c5food: food, as well as +1 :c5culture: culture if adjacent to a mountain. Also yields +1 :c5food: food if surrounded by hills\ mountains entirely, and additional grants +1 :c5food: food to the city working it if its connected to your :c5capital: capital.

UU: Huraca Troops
Replaces composite bowman. Initially more balanced (8 :c5strength:, 10 :c5rangedstrength:) than the unit it replaces, the Huraca troops have a chance of retreating when melee attacked, damaging the enemy in the process. They also start with the barrage I and II promotion, but they have a smaller range.

@Natan, A Terrace Farm is still technically a Farm right? :p :joke:

Yes, but this challenge is about not building civ farms. For example, you could argue a lumber mill is a tree farm.

I knew that, which is why I added the :joke: (yes I have a very bad sense of humor)

I knew that, which is why I added the :joke: (yes I have a very bad sense of humor)

Welcome to the club :lol:
Hey, at least your username describes you well... :p

:)joke:)

:c5gold: The Virginia Colony :c5gold:
:c5capital: Jamestown
Sir Walter Raleigh

UA: The Old Dominion
Cannot build workers. Captured workers generate great sums of :c5gold: and disappear, or are returned to original owners, your choice. May purchase improvements in the city screen with :c5gold: gold, which changes based on era.

UU: Adventurer
Replaces musketman. Unlocked at banking, instead of gunpowder. Can be upgraded from scout, pikeman, or longswordsman. Can be deleted on a plantation, pasture, camp, or farm tile to permanently add +1 :c5gold: gold to the tile yield.

UI: Tobacco plantation
Unlocked at calendar. Can be placed on any flatland terrain besides snow. +1 :c5production: production and +2 :c5gold: gold. +2 :c5gold: gold on every trade route sent out of a city for each tobacco plantation it works.

@inthesomeday, Ooh, that's interesting. You outsmarted the challenge: "may not build farms", I like it :lol:

Okay, problems. And there are a few, like there always are with the whole purchasing improvements mechanic...

1. UU can't upgrade yields of the UI? And why would you spend production on a unit which you'll then consume for +1 gold? The yileds you can get from a well - placed trade route are much greater with this design, so it'll be wiser for you to on improvements solely.
(P.S. think about it: you'd spend... More than fifty gold to upgrade a pikeman into this unit. Than, why would you wanna consume it for such a slight bonus? It'll take you more than 50 turns just to cover up the cost of your investment, let alone the fact you'll have to replace this unit with another one to retain a sufficient military force...)
2. UI's description is kinda paradoxical? It says "can be built", while you can't build imrpovemnts at all due to the UA (you can only buy them). Might wanna fix that one...
3. How will that design work with ExCE (which adds a standalone adventurer unit) and more luxuries (which adds tobacco as a luxury resource)?

Okay, problems. And there are a few, like there always are with the whole purchasing improvements mechanic...

1. UU can't upgrade yields of the UI? And why would you spend production on a unit which you'll then consume for +1 gold? The yileds you can get from a well - placed trade route are much greater with this design, so it'll be wiser for you to on improvements solely.
(P.S. think about it: you'd spend... More than fifty gold to upgrade a pikeman into this unit. Than, why would you wanna consume it for such a slight bonus? It'll take you more than 50 turns just to cover up the cost of your investment, let alone the fact you'll have to replace this unit with another one to retain a sufficient military force...)
2. UI's description is kinda paradoxical? It says "can be built", while you can't build imrpovemnts at all due to the UA (you can only buy them). Might wanna fix that one...
3. How will that design work with ExCE (which adds a standalone adventurer unit) and more luxuries (which adds tobacco as a luxury resource)?

1. I was more thinking if you build early scouts-- and the upgrade cost was somewhat tweaked to be a little cheaper-- then you upgrade them to adventurers and then expend them on tiles. Trade routes should always be internal in my thoughts, all my designs are built around the way that I play which is multiplayer. Obviously you can't actually play multiplayer with modded civs but I don't really actually expect mods to be made from my designs which is why I don't normally make them necessarily codeable in the first place.
2. Good point, changed to "placed".
3. No clue! I don't play with mods, I mostly just play multiplayer. In my single player days I do remember more lux mod, but I suppose the answer is that hypothetically if somebody wanted to make this civ it would be compatible with neither. Which is fine, the challenge is "design a civ" not "design a civ compatible with X Y Z mod".

The Wiradjuri People under Windradyne

UA: Land of the Three Rivers
Cannot build farms, but receives double the :c5food: Food from animal resources and from tiles next to rivers, cities next to animal resources or natural features (rivers, forests, mountains etc) provide +1 :c5happy: local happiness. Units receive a :c5strength: Combat Bonus when in enemy lands, doubled if attacking an enemy unit that is by itself.

UB: Possum Cloak Maker (Amphitheater Replacement)
Yields +2 :c5culture: Culture and :c5happy: Happiness and instead of a Great Work of Writing slot you receive two copies of the Possum Cloak luxury resource, unlocked at Trapping instead of Drama and Poetry.

UI: Bora Grounds
Provides +1 :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith, adds another :c5faith: Faith yield at Theology and another :c5culture: Culture yield upon entering the Industrial Era. Unlocked at Construction and must be built on or adjacent to stone or forests. If built on stones it also improves the source of stone, as if you have built a quarry there, Bora Grounds can not be adjacent to each other.

The Wiradjuri people under Windradyne

UA: The land of the three rivers
Cannot build farms, but receives double the :c5food: Food from animal resources and from tiles next to rivers. Units receive a :c5strength: Combat Bonus when in enemy lands, doubled if attacking an enemy unit that is by itself.

UB: Possum Cloak Maker (Amphitheater Replacement)
Yields +2 :c5culture: Culture and :c5happy: Happiness and instead of a Great Work of Writing slot you receive two copies of the Possum Cloak luxury resource, unlocked at Trapping instead of Drama and Poetry.

UI: Bora Grounds
Provides +1 :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith, doubled if built on or adjacent to stone or forests, adds another :c5faith: Faith yield at Theology and another :c5culture: Culture yield upon entering the Industrial Era. Unlocked at Construction.
That Possum Cloak Maker is interesting. It seems a lot of these ideas involve UI's too.

Two luxuries per city and extra happiness?
The problem with that design is that its gonna snowball, with the massive amounts of happiness and food you can get from pretty basic settings, regardless of how lucky is your start... However, despite the massive boost to happiness you can gain early own, you're gonna snowball too quickly for you to actually benefit from it: you gonna get crazy amounts of food from the UA, which will make you're population grow pretty quickly, which will require a lot of happiness to sustain which brings the question, why would you wanna focus on military and conquests with that kind of bonuses, when you clearly better off focusing on infrastructure to take advantage of high population?

That Possum Cloak Maker is interesting. It seems a lot of these ideas involve UI's too.

Interesting? How so? Well must of the UI's are done to compensate for the loss of food and to make sure that the civ get's over bonuses besides making up the loss food. Just works better that way.

Two luxuries per city and extra happiness?
The problem with that design is that its gonna snowball, with the massive amounts of happiness and food you can get from pretty basic settings, regardless of how lucky is your start... However, despite the massive boost to happiness you can gain early own, you're gonna snowball too quickly for you to actually benefit from it: you gonna get crazy amounts of food from the UA, which will make you're population grow pretty quickly, which will require a lot of happiness to sustain which brings the question, why would you wanna focus on military and conquests with that kind of bonuses, when you clearly better off focusing on infrastructure to take advantage of high population?

Well I put the combat stuff to reflect the revenge parties that were used in the Bathurst Wars, I couldn't find a way to put the 'men's business' in so I did that. All though you do make a point about happiness so I'll modify the UA. I've also changed the UI because I had made a mistake while typing it, so there's that.

Btw, I'm sorry for writing long paragraphs to describe pretty simple problems... I suppose that's just the way I express my opinions... :p

Btw, I'm sorry for writing long paragraphs to describe pretty simple problems... I suppose that's just the way I express my opinions... :p

Any other way just wouldn't be Natan

Top Bottom