Comings, Goings, and New Arrivals VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venturing back into the depths of Off-Topic just to say, wow - I've spent the last couple of days digging around these forums and I'm amazed at how much they have to offer, with a bit of looking. The C3-C&C forum has some incredible mods - I'm amazed at the amount of effort & love put into these things. The Decade awards are a great intro to the world of modding - something I hadn't tried with Civ before. Thanks for the tip, Takhisis!

I've just got the Age of Imperialism mod up and running (on my Mac, no less, with a bit of help from the Macintosh forum), I've started my first COTM (COTM91), and I've had a snoop at the current PBEM games and Succession Games. Just need to get these exams out of the way and I'll be free to really get involved.

You guys have an amazing community here - great to see it so active, and so welcoming :salute:.

New Civ 2 player here \o/

Never been any good at it but willing to learn.
Civ2 still works on modern PCs? That is nothing short of amazing.

And welcome!

Excuse my ignorance but why wouldn't old games work on new computers? I can understand new games not working on old computers but not the other way around.

Game coding was much less sophisticated in the past, and some forms of software they used aren't compatible with newer frameworks.

Or something like that. I'm really just guessing but it seems logical. The most notable old game I can think of that doesn't work on my system is Max Payne.

Excuse my ignorance but why wouldn't old games work on new computers? I can understand new games not working on old computers but not the other way around.

The games were designed to run on machines with older, outdated equipment and setups that most people don't have anymore. When I tried playing King's Quest VI on a modern PC, for example, the game moved at about 10x the normal speed, making it impossible to play.

And welcome, Acronym :)

Also want to mention that, for example, C&C95 is designed for Windows 95 and doesn't work on Windows 7... at least not normally.

It's a real shame that a lot of older games are no longer playable on modern machines, as some real classics are in danger of being lost, unlike any other media I can think of (books, music), where it is relatively straightforward to move the content from one format to another. I can only speak from a Mac perspective, but I've got three classic Blizzard games (Starcraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III) on my ageing MacBook, and while I'm stretching its lifespan as long as I can (mainly for financial reasons!), when I inevitably upgrade I know that those games won't work on newer versions of the Mac OS. Given that's three-quarters of my games library (the other quarter being Civ III!), it'll suck!

Sad to hear about C&C95, too - I got my old copy to run on my mum's Windows XP, but sounds like even that will be a thing of the past before too long.

DOSBox, Mr. Acronym, DOSBox. Although we shouldn't really be discussing this here.

In case I have any closeted fans here wondering where I've been: I'm taking a vacation of sorts because I don't feel like I have much of anything valuable to contribute here. I may or may not return to active posting after I have filled some of the larger gaps in my education and developed a more consistent/coherent philosophy/worldview. No guarantees though. However, I will continue to lurk and answer private messages and wall posts.

Been traveling for the last two weeks or so, and although I've been able to sign on for the odd post or so I just haven't had much time. I'm trying to get back to OT but it'll probably be another couple weeks of off-and-on.

Look forward to your return, WL. ;)

In case I have any closeted fans here wondering where I've been: I'm taking a vacation of sorts because I don't feel like I have much of anything valuable to contribute here. I may or may not return to active posting after I have filled some of the larger gaps in my education and developed a more consistent/coherent philosophy/worldview. No guarantees though. However, I will continue to lurk and answer private messages and wall posts.

The best part about posting here is that you don't need a coherent or consistent world philosophy or view. I know I sure as hell don't.

In fact, the posters who do are usually the one's who repeat themselves in every single thread, saying the same thing over and over (i.e. the bad ones). They end up getting extremely predictable and annoying, and contribute nothing to whatever is being discussed. The best posters are the ones who are still evolving, with their views changing after every post and debate. They're the ones you can actually talk to and discuss things, without knowing every single argument and position beforehand.

Anyways, just my 2¢'s, do whatever pleases you.

Well yes, you don't need those things to post here. I personally don't see the point if I have nothing of substance to add. May as well just lurk and try to learn something.

Hey guys, just letting you know that I'm going to be gone for a few days, maybe a week. My area got hit hard by two massive storms (egg sized hail FTW). My power's been knocked out, and I just got my internet connection now. (I'm posting this using generator power.) Power is expected to be back in a week, so that's about it.

Hope you enjoy my break! :p

Link to video.

Power is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Welcome back, at least they did not say your power would be out for a day, and you did not get it back for a week.

Oh wait is this time travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom