Coronavirus 12: Don't Abandon Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I do not get is that if there is so little cross immunity between omicron and other variants how is it replacing them? Is immunity against omicron protective against other variants but not vice versa?

I suspect it comes back to the fact that Covid variants seem pretty good at blocking each other when they're competing for the same host, rather than anything directly to do with the immune system. I can only turn up a couple of case reports of superinfection with multiple variants - we really ought to see more if they're OK with coexisting in the same patient. It may simply come down to the fact that once a cell has been infected with Omicron, that cell cannot then be infected with Delta, so variants are always in direct competition with each other.

If we work under the assumption that it's a case of first Covid infection stakes its claim on the host, and so will block any large scale infection by other variants, at least until the original infection has run its course, then whichever variant has the highest R-number will still have a strong tendency to replace the others. Even if they generate little cross immunity to each other in the long run. Omicron is clearly well ahead of Delta when it comes to infectivity at the moment, if only because the vaccines are less effective against it, so it will be "getting in first" more often.

Surely that is pronounced "borster" ^_^
I think the joke is that places like Worcester are pronounced something like "Wooster".

I suspect it comes back to the fact that Covid variants seem pretty good at blocking each other when they're competing for the same host, rather than anything directly to do with the immune system. I can only turn up a couple of case reports of superinfection with multiple variants - we really ought to see more if they're OK with coexisting in the same patient. It may simply come down to the fact that once a cell has been infected with Omicron, that cell cannot then be infected with Delta, so variants are always in direct competition with each other.

If we work under the assumption that it's a case of first Covid infection stakes its claim on the host, and so will block any large scale infection by other variants, at least until the original infection has run its course, then whichever variant has the highest R-number will still have a strong tendency to replace the others. Even if they generate little cross immunity to each other in the long run. Omicron is clearly well ahead of Delta when it comes to infectivity at the moment, if only because the vaccines are less effective against it, so it will be "getting in first" more often.

If I understand this article below correctly there are hardly any cells infected when you have Covid: 1 in 100k to 1 in 10 Mio.
Enough cells free when exposed to multiple variants.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7685332/

Schermopname (871).png

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1472932495092232201

Latest CDC data by vaccine status:
Unvaccinated: 451 cases per 100k
Vaccinated: 134 cases per 100k
Boosted: 48 cases per 100k

Unvaccinated: 6.1 deaths per 100k
Vaccinated: 0.5 deaths per 100k
Boosted: 0.1 deaths per 100k

Considering that older people are more likely to be vaccinated and boosted, it's even starker.

Anyway, the White House had a pretty based take

People are now crying about it as if Biden is the one going around making it a winter of severe illness.

These are free vaccines. If you are worried enough to cry on social media about the mean old Biden, you can get vaccinated.

It's part of a longer statement but by itself it's still fine.

I think that this kind of statement should never have been made in a serious country like the US.
Doesn't help anyone. Obviously would lead to reactions. The gov should - if anything - respect the citizens regardless of their views, since it is supposed to be by them and for them.

Na, it's exactly the right thing to do. It's a push in the right direction. (similar to warning signs on cigarette packs)

Changed my plans now. Had to pay 120€ for an earlier flight, to make sure that between NYE and my next scheduled thing there are more than 2 weeks, just in case I catch something. At least I could get a refund on my train ticket, so that money wasn't wasted. Still don't know if I'll go to my NYE party, that will depend on the situation in a week...

Na, it's exactly the right thing to do. It's a push in the right direction. (similar to warning signs on cigarette packs)

Changed my plans now. Had to pay 120€ for an earlier flight, to make sure that between NYE and my next scheduled thing there are more than 2 weeks, just in case I catch something. At least I could get a refund on my train ticket, so that money wasn't wasted. Still don't know if I'll go to my NYE party, that will depend on the situation in a week...

Not sure how to respond to this, but it is impressive how you are so relaxed about 2 years of non-world. I suppose 2 more will be equally fine - after all, it is to prevent a decade of 0.2% more deaths from covid?
Meanwhile, you have no issue with patents and protected deals with a couple of pharmaceutical companies for massive production of an emergency vaccine. For the greater good - I think you are in the Tau Empire :)

Not sure how to respond to this, but it is impressive how you are so relaxed about 2 years of non-world. I suppose 2 more will be equally fine - after all, it is to prevent a decade of 0.2% more deaths from covid?

I'm the opposite of relaxed here. I wished everyone would get the freakin' vaccine, then maybe in a half year this would all be less of a problem. (maybe, hopefully).
I also do my best to not get catch anything, by doing home office for 2 weeks and nearly not interacting with a single human person in RL if I have anything important planned. I want to see someone, meet someone, it's right now each time a major effort. I'm not relaxed.
I can count you on one hand all the occasions in the last half year where I had social life with a person RL. I am not relaxed.
I also just paid 120€, because I'm totally not relaxed.
No clue where you're getting that from...

Nothing will stop omicron now.

/hot take
You make it sound like the cutscene when you lose the boss fight in a mid-to-late '90s arcade game.

I'm the opposite of relaxed here. I wished everyone would get the freakin' vaccine, then maybe in a half year this would all be less of a problem. (maybe, hopefully).
I also do my best to not get catch anything, by doing home office for 2 weeks and nearly not interacting with a single human person in RL if I have anything important planned. I want to see someone, meet someone, it's right now each time a major effort. I'm not relaxed.
I can count you on one hand all the occasions in the last half year where I had social life with a person RL. I am not relaxed.

But you should be. The gov has this. All will go well and already is and like you said it's only due to anti-gov stances that it's not over yet.

It is at least theoretically likely that even covid itself was borne out of anti-gov stance and lack of a police state. This is what happens in the Warp :yup:

That's a very strict quarantine you practice there - you are supposed to limit your contacts, and take certain precautions [keep some distance, maybe a mask, self-test, ventilation, vaccine],

not do away with your social life entirely...

Last edited:
One good thing about having to vote on the covid law in Switzerland is that it really took the wind out of the sails of the covidiots. Before the vote there were protests multiple times a week with thousands of attending.Naturally they claimed that "we are the people", the gov is fascist, and the like. After about 2/3 of the voters backed the law, that all fell apart. Last week they tried protesting against the newly implemented 2g rule (meaning you need to be vaccinated or convalescent to go to a restaurant, etc. testing won't suffice) and only a few dozen protesters showed up :D

That's a very strict quarantine you practice there - you are supposed to limit your contacts, and take certain precautions [keep some distance, maybe a mask, self-test, ventilation, vaccine],

not do away with your social life entirely...

Ah... I didn't write down my complete situation, so it's actually kinda less and more drastic at the same time: I don't have any friends in this country, thanks to the virus appearing right after my move. So staying totally at home doesn't really impact anything. But for me to have social life, it means someone needs to fly. So having this disturbed would of even greater inconvenience. So half of my scheduling right now is around flight dates.

France takes "lockdown" rather more serious than than Denmark for example - Dutch are somewhere in between, not sure about Germany.

Surely for a social life it matters if you can still go out for a drink or something to eat, etc.

Additionally, with limited contacts, you want to be near at last some of the people you love...

I do think location matters, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom