... Ivanov isn't arrested because he's corrupt, but probably as part of a power struggle going down in the Kremlin and Putin has just removed one of Shoigu's pawns. That's imo the context you need to see this arrest in. It could signal the beginning of the end of Shoigu himself
... and today Reuters reports this:

Russia's Putin proposes sacking Defense Minister Shoigu, parliament says​

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...e-minister-shoigu-parliament-says-2024-05-12/

who's paying who?
My mistake. It's actually much worse for Gazprom. Until December 2024, Gazprom are paying Ukraine.

Do you know if Germany is still buying Russian gas through Belgium?

The last that I read was in April where it said 9 EU countries were still buying Russian gas. France was the biggest purchaser according to Politico on 11 April 2024.

France talks tough on Ukraine while gobbling up more Russian gas​

France has paid Russia over €600 million this year for liquefied natural gas, new data shows. That’s an EU-leading rise from last year.
https://www.politico.eu/article/france-talk-tough-ukraine-while-gobble-up-more-russia-gas/

the defenses aren't on the border AFAIK.
In the article it says he will be going back to the front line. 5km from the border. So no, technically the defences are not "on" the border.

Denys, speaking from a park in Kharkiv, says within an hour he’ll be back on the front line with his men close to the town of Vovchansk, just 5km (3 miles) from the Russian border.

Russian troops are already reported to have entered the edge of the town. Denys tells me he fears it could soon be back in Russian hands.

Tories would have to be desperate to trust Cummings after his stint with Boris Johnson.
But they are desperate now, and it shows that there are some trying to change course when it comes to Ukraine.

Zelenskyy’s no Churchill and Ukraine’s corrupt
LONDON — Boris Johnson’s former top adviser Dominic Cummings launched a sweary attack on Western support for Ukraine Thursday.

In an interview with the i newspaper, Cummings — who led Britain’s Vote Leave Brexit campaign and spectacularly fell out with Johnson in 2020 — declared that the West “should have never got into the whole stupid situation” and claimed sanctions against Russia have had a greater impact on European politics than in Moscow.

The former adviser was scathing of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and comparisons with World War II.

“This is not a replay of 1940 with Zelenskyy as the Churchillian underdog,” he said.

“This whole Ukrainian corrupt mafia state has basically conned us all and we’re all going to get f**ked as a consequence. We are getting f**ked now right?”

In a follow-up tweet, Cummings later branded Zelenskyy a “potemkin” leader — but denied he’d called him a “pumpkin” as originally quoted in the interview.

He argued that war would only strengthen the relationship between Russia and China, saying Western nations “pushed [Russia] into an alliance with the world’s biggest manufacturing power.”

Cummings has long been critical of support for Ukraine, a stance that puts him sharply at odds with his old boss Johnson, a vocal supporter of Zelenskyy and Ukraine’s war effort.

He told the paper the West had failed to send Russian President Vladimir Putin a worthwhile signal which would deter him from invading another country.

“What lesson have we taught him? The lesson we’ve taught Putin is that we’re a bunch of total f**king jokers,” Cummings asserted, saying the war had “broadcast it to the entire world what a bunch of clowns we are.”

It comes as the former Vote Leave Brexit campaign chief tests the water for a new political party to replace the Tories.

POLITICO reported on Thursday that Cummings has organized a series of focus groups to get the public’s views about a new anti-establishment outfit.

Cummings told the i his “Start Up Party” would be “ruthlessly focused on the voters not on Westminster and the old media.”

My mistake. It's actually much worse for Gazprom. Until December 2024, Gazprom are paying Ukraine.

Do you know if Germany is still buying Russian gas through Belgium?

The last that I read was in April where it said 9 EU countries were still buying Russian gas. France was the biggest purchaser according to Politico on 11 April 2024.

France talks tough on Ukraine while gobbling up more Russian gas​

France has paid Russia over €600 million this year for liquefied natural gas, new data shows. That’s an EU-leading rise from last year.
https://www.politico.eu/article/france-talk-tough-ukraine-while-gobble-up-more-russia-gas/
strangely oriented article, difference is to be made between total imports of gaz in 2022 and now LGN is just a part.
If you want details on current repartition of imporys in EU
  • Hungary was the largest importer of Russian fossil fuels within the EU in March, importing fossil fuels worth EUR 362 mn. Imports comprised of crude oil and gas, delivered via pipelines, valued at EUR 242 mn and EUR 120 mn, respectively. While there was a 9% month-on-month decrease in Hungary’s pipeline gas imports from Russia, crude oil imports rose for a second straight month — by 9% (EUR 16 mn).
  • Slovakia’s imports of Russian fossil fuels dropped by a marginal 1% in March. While there was a 7% drop in their imports of pipeline crude, a 10% rise in imports of pipeline gas compensated for it.
  • The entirety of Belgium’s imports of Russian fossil fuels in March consisted of LNG valued at EUR 219 mn. Russian LNG comprised 59% of Belgium’s total LNG imports in March. Belgium’s total volume of LNG imports rose by 36% in March mirroring a similar 41% rise in their imports from Russia. Belgium’s LNG re-exports dropped by 18% in March — almost the entirety of it directed towards Spain and China.
  • Italy was the EU’s fourth-largest importer of Russian fossil fuels, importing EUR 213 mn of pipeline gas. Italy’s increased imports come at a time when the country has just shelved plans to introduce a tariff to ensure gas storage facilities remain full.
  • In March, France was the EU’s fifth-largest importer of Russian fossil fuels. The entirety of their imports consisted of LNG valued at EUR 161 mn.

I wouldn't trust Cummings if he told me the sky was blue. This isn't an attack on the veracity of the piece, simply my opinion as a British poster.
There's a certain delicious irony in Cummings organizing focus groups after his famous visit to Barnard Castle during the Covid lockdown.
"Cummings stated this was to test whether he was well enough to drive, having some problems with his eyesight."

Well there’s no real difference between “Russian” gas and other gas, Belgium is the 6th largest exporter of petroleum gas in the world I believe, it may well our top export product.

I suspect most of it goes to Germany yes.

Of course the only reason for that is our strategic location here.

Politico's article is later then the one you link to. Maybe it's all a bit of a jumble atm?
As I understand it Politico article is based on variation ("biggest rise") of LNG values, and France now import only LNG from Russia. All imports of LNG have raised, to compensate for the suppression of other Russian gaz imports, and the bigger source of LNG for France (also the biggest rise proportionally) are the US now.

That CREA report I posted (reports on which Politico article is based) is about all kind of fossile fuel.

Seems like we should understand what will become of Nikolai Patrushev?

I read much of this stuff pretty skeptically. We are hearing that Russia is making tactically significant gains, well, how many of those equals a strategic gain?

Putting an economist in charge of the defense ministry doesn't sound, to me, like weakness or desperation.

Last edited:
Seems like we should understand what will become of Nikolai Patrushev?

I read much of this stuff pretty skeptically. We are hearing that Russia is making tactically significant gains, well, how many of those equals a strategic gain?

Putting an economist in charge of the defense ministry doesn't sound, to me, like weakness or desperation.

According to wiki, he is 72 years old:

I know not whether he has health problems or not.

So I guess he is either retiring, or stepping down to a less strenuous role.

Yeah, we do that here in the US. Out with the old, in with the new.

But you guys live longer, 76,33 on average apparently.

Russia reported this morning that it had shot down at least 31 Ukrainian drones that were used in nighttime attacks. Sixteen rockets were also said to have been shot out of the sky.

Ukraine has not officially reacted.

Last edited:

Ukraine in 'difficult situation' as fighting rages and Russian troops claim nine villages​

After claiming five villages in the Kharkiv region on Saturday, Moscow now says it has taken control of four more - taking the total to nine. Meanwhile, Russia accused Ukraine of "criminality" as officials say at least 15 died in a Ukrainian airstrike in Belgorod.

Russia claims its troops have seized control of at least nine Ukrainian villages as intense fighting continues in the Kharkiv region.

Ukraine's military chief has said its forces are doing all they can to hold the line in Kharkiv - with Moscow claiming at least four villages on Sunday and five on Saturday - but they are facing a "difficult situation".
Over the border, at least 15 people have been killed in the Russian region of Belgorod, according to the emergencies ministry, after a block of flats was struck by a Soviet-era missile launched by Ukraine.

The building partly collapsed, with at least 10 storeys affected. Later, as emergency services scoured the rubble for survivors, the roof collapsed and people ran for their lives with rubble falling behind them. The blast, one of the deadliest attacks on the region, also injured 20 people.

More than 4,000 flee Russian cross-border attacks in Ukraine's Kharkiv region​

More than 4,000 people have been evacuated from border areas in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region, the local governor said on Sunday, following a surprise cross-border Russian offensive there that began on Friday.

Top Bottom