SGOTM 20 Maintenance Thread - Spreading The Faiths

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 20 - Spreading The faiths

This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff, about matters of general interest that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds. If you need to raise specific issues concerning only your team, then please contact me or Deckhand by PM.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

This is Deckhand's first SGOTM, with a hand crafted map and scenario from guest map maker, BSPollux.

You will play as Mehmed the Defender of Faiths.

You are Mehmed II and you are in charge of what's left of the Ottoman Empire.

Just a few years ago your glorious capital was flourishing under your King's rulership and you, as Captain of the Guards, and your men were proud to protect its borders against all foes. Your people engaged in trade and cultural exchange with various foreign tribes and the future seemed bright.

But it all changed when all the different preachers arrived. When the foreigners brought their beliefs to your city, the King tried to prevent them from spreading and caused great unrest. And now, you find yourself at the height of a devastating civil war. Your King is dead and the capital is burning.

You took your loyal guard with you as well as a small group of your subjects. They have followed you to the northern border of your nation to rebuild your empire.

Your starting situation
Click for a full size image

Your guard is well trained: The warrior and the archer both have the city garrison promotion and your scout is an experienced medic.
The people that will settle your new city know about The Wheel, Fishing and Agriculture, but they lack any higher education.
Your former capitol lays to the south. The last time you saw it it was burning and the people were fighting in the streets. It might be dangerous to go back anytime soon.

Your goals
You have sworn to rebuild your empire and to ensure such madness will never be repeated, by encouraging and not suppressing faith. To do so...

Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City.
Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. There are at least seventy temples in your cities. Each Great Prophet settled in your cities counts as four temples.
Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism.
End the madness! - You will be told how to do that after you capture (or found) Holy Cities for three religions or when you have met every other civilization.
Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest.

Game Options
Ancient Era Start
Normal Speed
No Goody Huts
No Events
All Victory Conditions Enabled

Map size Large
9 Opponents
Normal Barbs
Map: Custom made Pangaea
Difficulty: Immortal

==================================

Timetable

The Pre-game Discussion Thread for this game is open.
Links to saves and progress information will be available on the SGOTM Progress Page

The team discussion threads for this game are now open.

The team starting saves will be available here on July 7.

The completion deadline will be October 31. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod, Unless stated otherwise in this thread before the game starts..
    If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.

Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game. You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading a SGOTM 19 starting save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information and Spam will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Team Lists
The table below lists the current membership of the competing teams.

Here are the rule clarifications previously discussed.
Here's to hoping this will be a lonely thread. :cheers:
---
I will update this post with any further rule clarifications.

1) Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City.
2) Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. There are at least seventy temples in your cities. Each Great Prophet settled in your cities counts as four temples.
3) Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism.
4) End the Madness! - You will be told how to do that after you capture (or found) Holy Cities for three religions or when you have met every other civilization.
5) Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest.

=========================
Let AlanH and Deckhand know by PM when you have captured three Holy Cities or when you have met every other civilization, and they will let your team know how to End the Madness.

All conditions must be satisfied in the save you submit on the turn after winning.
Staying in Free Religion applies continuously after learning Liberalism or adopting Free Religion from SP.
=========================

To be eligible for a medal, the team needs to meet all objectives.
Teams that don't meet all objectives will be ranked by date.
Wooden Spoons will go to team with lowest score.

If you don't meet all objectives, you are ranked below teams that do and it doesn't matter how many you did meet for ranking purposes. Objectives are irrelevant for determining Wooden Spoons, however you must submit a completed game (either you or AI has achieved victory).
===========================

You are not required to learn Liberalism.

The adopt part of the rule to "adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism" does not apply to the Shwedagon Paya; however if you do adopt Free Religion thru the Shwedagon Paya, then you must stay in it.

================================
There are no restrictions on :culture:CtE:espionage:
There are no restrictions on worker stealing
There are no restrictions or phony wars
There are no restrictions on gifting cities to AIs while at peace
There are no restrictions on razing cities

===============================

The game is on a large map with 10 Civs (9 AIs). This may cause performance issues for some players.
The staff will be understanding about crashes. Please ensure your autosave turn internal is set to 1. Also set BUFFY to autosave upon exit. And please make manual saves in the middle of your turn if taking a long time or if something of significance (e.g. city captured, city not captured, trade/beg from AI) has occurred. If your game does crash, notify AlanH by PM, reload the latest save and replay your moves.
And I suggest short turn sessions to rotate thru all turn members in the beginning so all can participate before the possible exclusion of anyone whose machine can't keep up.

===========================

Have Fun and Play Nicely Together.

I'll have my lawyer contact your lawyer about the ramifications of your previous text. :mischief:

Unusual Xteam name has changed to Unusual Suspex.

I have also updated it in the team list database.

The starting saves will be available at midnight EST tonight. Please make sure you download the correct save, as each one is branded internally with your team name.

Enjoy your games :)

I have opened the Lurker Thread.

Participants must not read it until they have submitted their complete game. Use the same mighty skills that keep you out of other teams’ threads to avoid it. I know you can do it.

Oh, I forgot this part:

And now as Dr Evil has done in the past, I will mock your progress:

Do you realize you have already squandered Five of your precious 117 days? :eek:
Are you over 4% complete on your way to meeting all the objectives? :(
I suggest you pick up the pace. :gripe:

:joke:

:lol:

I think stickying the Lurker tread is a big mistake, and that some team members will click on it by accident (I almost just did). We are used to being careful to only open the correct thread in the lower section, but the top is usually maintenance news, and when it is bold, I, for one, am likely to click it without thinking (I noticed just in time this time :) )

I think stickying the Lurker tread is a big mistake, and that some team members will click on it by accident (I almost just did). We are used to being careful to only open the correct thread in the lower section, but the top is usually maintenance news, and when it is bold, I, for one, am likely to click it without thinking (I noticed just in time this time :) )

You might be right about that.

Some players have mistakenly entered the Lurker Thread when Tapatalk alerted them that they had been quoted.
Spoiler :
No harm done, they exited immediately.

BTW, we put most everything there in spoilers; but I think they are effective for all ways of viewing the threads.

Caution is needed by all. Players should ensure the Tapatalk link is "safe" before following it.
We (deckhand & BSPollux) will try to remember this Tapatalk feature and not use the quote feature when commenting/compiling your wisdom.

Some players have mistakenly entered the Lurker Thread when Tapatalk alerted them that they had been quoted.
Spoiler :
No harm done, they exited immediately.

BTW, we put most everything there in spoilers;
Spoiler :
edit
I can't find right words to express my concern about spoiler tag effectiveness...

Caution is needed by all. Players should ensure the Tapatalk link is "safe" before following it.
We (deckhand & BSPollux) will try to remember this Tapatalk feature and not use the quote feature when commenting/compiling your wisdom.

I believe you can turn off this function in Tapatalk. When you open the app, click on Forums and then Civfanatics. Then, go to Settings (picture of two gears).

The second section down should be "Also Notify Me When Someone"

Unselect "Quoted My Post" and "Mentioned Me"

The other option is "Send me a Private Message". That one is up to you, but I would leave it on.

Right now, I'm assuming this will work, but I'm also having it tested.

I believe you can turn off this function in Tapatalk. When you open the app, click on Forums and then Civfanatics. Then, go to Settings (picture of two gears).

The second section down should be "Also Notify Me When Someone"

Unselect "Quoted My Post" and "Mentioned Me"

The other option is "Send me a Private Message". That one is up to you, but I would leave it on.

Right now, I'm assuming this will work, but I'm also having it tested.

Thanks for that info!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked. I still got a notification for a post Deckhand made in a thread I wasn't subscribed to. No idea why that didn't work. :(

Top Bottom