The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

This is a small crowded map with five different tech trees. Consequently, there are very few trading opportunities (two civs have no one to trade with at all) and little space to expand so the game is all about war.

As such, Ghana is clearly the best civ in the west. I really have no idea how to win with the others. The only possible way is to play a quiet game while praying that no one runs away with the situation in the east (and several civs are quite capable of doing it). I agree that Mali is better than Songhai for this, due to the defensive UU and the isolated start. Still, I don't like basing my game on prayers. Ghana can actually win, long before anyone else comes even close. It has the best UU (the only useful one really) and starts with two cities to give you the jump in REXing.

Here's your strat.

Research agri and offensive arms in that order. Then you can learn how to trade. Train three settlers in the capital and some workers in the other city. Because of the lack of space and luxes, shields are more important than food in this game so the capital should work the BG, not the FP, for the most part. As tiles get improved, you can let your cities grow a little.

One warrior stays home and the other goes out to explore. The main objective is to find the other members of your culture group for trading purposes. After that, he can come home to work as an MP. Further exploration is pretty pointless.

Start by building to the east. At Monarch, you should be able to beat the Songhai to the best site three squares to the right. I managed at Emperor but couldn't do it at DG. No diff. The spot just to the south is almost as good. Your fourth city goes to the southeast and the fifth to the west. Strict CxxC everywhere. There is no space for anything more.

Meanwhile, hook up the Iron (it will be available once the capital's borders expand) and start pumping out UUs forever. No new city should build anything else for a long long time. The inability to build barracks is annoying but you still have the power to attack without them. Take out the Songhai first and Mali next. Start your attack when you have about six swords.

At some point, when you have the military situation under control, start building a road to Morocco. Bring along a few UUs to protect the workers and later some Wagaris to explore. Remember that the barbs are slow so move one space at a time. All they are doing is feeling out the direction that the road should go. If you find a barb, it's best to attract it unto the road so the swords can kill them but the Wagaris may have to attack occasionally. If so, use them in packs.

Once the road is built, spread the swords out along it to protect the traders who race up and down it collecting the trade items which have been accumulating back home.

The only real danger is an attack from the Hausa, who are powerful. So long as you keep your military up, this shouldn't be a problem. Their UU is easy to kill.

This should lead to a win in the 1300s, long before anything nasty can happen in the east.

Edit on the subject of balance issues.

I don't think that there is very much you can do about it. The AI simply does not know know to play these kinds of civs. Either Ethiopia or Falasha will die, usually the former. The Stable is a neat idea. Too bad the AI can't adapt to the concept. Etc.

Still, I'm not sure that this makes too much of a difference. Ultimately, this is all about giving an interesting experience to the player, which I think you have done very well. One or two AIs will become very strong in the east, which poses all kinds of problems - both in terms of survival and in terms of the possibility of an VP victory. Similarly, the AI can't win with the nomad peoples but they sure can be menacing!

My main complaint is that several civs seem extremely difficult to play. Playing without roads or fast units can be very frustrating. Mali, Songhai and the worker people all suffer from a lack of offensive units. But then I kinda cheated on the rules, didn't I? I don't think that building roads in the desert or warmongering with the Makura was supposed to be part of the scenario.

It seems to me that a diplomatic victory would be very hard. I considered this but untangling the diplo picture amongst 14 civs who keep warring on each other is a daunting task. I never had any idea who liked whom. Furthermore, it's hard to bribe people into MPPs and the like when you have no techs to offer.

Hi Plotinus, I was wondering if the files at the new downloadsite are updated or still the ones from November 2005. Since my HD crashed some time ago, I am up and on to reinstall CIV III now. I kinda lost most of my own files and data, since I never made any backup of them ;(. Luckily I had posted a few of my changes in this and other threads.

Cheers Mentat

Sorry Plotinus, my fault, I guess I was not clear enough.
I do not doubt the quality of the data, whatsover.

I was just wondering if those "most recent" files, are different from my download from Mid-November last year, or still the same. Since I found no evidence on sidte 1 of this thread, that you have had the files updated/changed in between.

Ah, I see. In that case I think it ought to be the same. I'm fairly sure that apart from a quick fix shortly after posting the scenario for the first time, there haven't been any other changes. I have been tinkering with it since then, but I want to finish all the changes I'm making before I post a new version.

Overlook the gross historical inaccuracies only for 2 reasons: This is the most comprhensive africa scenario I have ever seen and it would be near impossible to create an accurate map to refelect the african empires in that 600 year period, especially in West africa because there were so many civs there that were large and just collapsed very rapidly. Well still the best africa scenario yet.

I would like to see a Congo/rwanda scenario because that is generally seen as Africa's first world war.

First, let me tell you how indescribably awesome this scenario and the Rood scenario are. I have been quite literally addicted to them both, and I have been sacrificing a solid chunk of my sleeping time to conquer England and Africa.

The Ethiopians are certainly a lot of fun to play with, simply retreating all forces back into the mountains and then destroying the Runners as they enter your territory.

The trading posts are certainly a lot of fun and, although the AI is fairly incompetent at playing them, they do add a rather distinctive form of victory to the scenario.

The soundtrack is pretty good, although not, IMHO, as good as it could be. I am from an Arabian and African descent, and my mother and father both have a rather extensive collection of traditional cultural music. If you would like me to upload some on this thread or upload them to another site for you to collect and upload yourself, please feel free to PM me.

I hope I can be of help!

Thanks again for your wonderful scenarios.

Just finished a game as the Falasha. This is a cool scenario. I like how when you kill three of those relics you get 20,000 victory points (or whatever it is). Goodjob. :thumbsup:

What the hang is going on? I have to download this scenario from UGO, and wait 12 minutes before it will start? What kind of crap is this? Is this how the new civfanatics file database works? I'm so confused! :( :mad: :blush:

(Up till now, I never had the HD space for downloading mods. Now that I do, I find this ridiculousness! :cry:)

Woah, calm down man. Does that 10 mins wait really mean much in the grand scheme of things? To save space on CivFanatics some of us have been making use of other servers to host their files especially the big ones.

These services are offered FREE OF CHARGE and really it's not much to ask you to wait 10 mins to download a scenario as exceptional as this. Have a drink while you're waiting or find something constructive to do.

So, this is not the way things are always going to be at CivFanatics, then? It's just an option? Sigh, well okay... Here I thought civfanatics was going to pot!

Yes it's just an option to help out the CivFanatics server which doesn't have infinite space. Think of it as a CivFanatics community spirited decision rather than one intended to pi$$ people off.

Are you refering to 3DDownloads? Yah, I just read a book or watch television until it's ready.

I didn't think it was done intentionally to piss people off, but I was worried it showed signs of deterioration in the site. I hadn't yet used the new File Database feature much, and it looked as if the file database was actually some corporate ad-heavy big-name icky site. Now that I understand what's going on, everything's tickety boo. I went upstairs and got a cookie while I waited, that's what I did. ;)

Yes, it's nothing to do with the File Database - this scenario has been on 3D Downloads for much longer than the File Database has been around (as you can see from the Date Added). Thunderfall started directing people to upload big files to that site, rather than direct to CFC, quite a while ago. And of course ten minutes isn't really very long given that something this size takes a while to download anyway.

@Plotinus: This is in my opinion one of the best scenario having been done for Civ3.

I was just wondering if you intended to make a graphical update with your Ethiopian Leaderhead and all the afican units you and ShiroKobbure made... I think that would greatly improve the atmosphere of this wonderful scenario.

[Mentat] Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed a problem there.

[beboy] Yes, and in fact I'm working on an update right now. I did those units and the LH specifically for this and I have a pile more of them to do too. There will be a few tweaks to the gameplay as well (mostly adjustments to the Ethiopia/Falasha unit lines to make the warfare more protracted). But of course it takes a while to make the graphics.

@Plotinus:

I have worked out a complete Techtree for the Arabian factions now.
Added a few buildings, units and graphics etc. to beef up their specific style.
So if you are interested I can post a screenshot, or send you the files.

Top Bottom