Welcome to Orbis - Download Information

Eh. Frankly, those were minor effects and only rewarded you for having the Holy City.

Those effects have been more or less replaced by City States (and yes, I said that too in my post on 2kforums :p).

My point is, excluding mods the mechanic was crap, and could never NOT be crap since all religions were the same... And this sameness is required by politically-correct 2K. Hence, as far as Civ5 itself is concerned, trimming that particular bit of fat was a good thing.

Really though, my thoughts on Civ5 (and Civ4) are already here: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea....-What-is-your-thoughts&p=1342322#post1342322

My point is, excluding mods the mechanic was crap, and could never NOT be crap since all religions were the same... And this sameness is required by politically-correct 2K. Hence, as far as Civ5 itself is concerned, trimming that particular bit of fat was a good thing.

I agree fully with this statement :)

Yeah, this post is interesting.
But I do not agree with it :)
I have spent many hours playing only base CiV BtS, without mods and I really enjoyed it.
It has no depth, but is fun nonetheless.
I was a noob when mods are considered - I did not know that such things exists.
Then, accidentally, I came across civfanatics forums.
First, I was reading strategy guides and the like, then... after more than a year from buying my vanilla CiV (and a few months after I bought BtS), I decided to give mods a try.
That was it.
Couple months later, I tried to play a 'vanilla' BtS game. And I find, that I cannot do that anymore. Mods are 100 times better.
But, as I said before, CiV BtS without any mods was for me one of the most fun strategic games ever.

Yeah in fact I've launched a game yesterday and its much better since recent patches. Probably better than vanilla civ 4, but so long way to full conversions :(

Happiness from Religions and Temples. (temple happy can stack with other religions)

Science from Monastaries and 1 wonder (can stack with other religions)

Gold from Shrine and 1 wonder

Diplomatic effect.

If you weren't going military (slavery + Hereditary rule) you could found/spread a lot of religions for happiness and science ... and with Great Prophets even a considerable amount of gold from Shrines.

It might have not been the "best" tactic for a competitive always-war game ... but it still had a considerable effect.

I find subtleties are often the best added complexity for a game. Sure, a lot of times simplicity is preferred, just not always.

Anyways, I think I've made my point that religion had a big impact ... a way to keep cities happy other than using Hereditary rule. (and some extra science and gold, here n there). Not to mention the diplomatic effect which seems to constantly be written off as worthless.

People play Civ because they want to rebuild civilization ... they don't want an Arcade game.

@Jarrema - Yes, it was fun at first for me as well, for the first few games. Little by little though, the lack of depth killed the game for me; And if not for mods, I'd have shelved it entirely.

@Tasunke -
That happiness would absolutely destroy any shred of balance in Civ5, with it's global happiness.

So, to break it down:
  • Happiness - Non-workable given other mechanics in Civ5.
  • Gold - Only for founding, irrelevant in the discussion for the most part (as it only rewards ONE player, not all following the religion); In any case, replaced by bonuses from City States.
  • Diplomacy - Religion was the sole driving force for 99% of all diplomacy in Civ4. This is the MAIN reason that religion was cut; They wanted true diplomacy. And if you look into the logs, they have it; It's just not easily clear to the player, and hatred never goes away (need to implement attitude decay, badly). The diplomatic effect was not worthless, and I would hope any replacement has at least some effect on diplomacy, but when a single mechanic absolutely and utterly controls diplomacy something is very, very wrong.

Religion had an impact... In civ4. Not necessarily even a fun one; Just an impact. An impact which would either have killed balance in Civ5 (what little there is), or gone counter to other designs. The sole reason I want a religion mechanic in Civ5, is because it adds a non-militarily focused mechanic, not because it played any significant role in Civ4.

Any religion mechanic should bear little to no similarity with religion in Civ4, IMO.

An older one, IIRC it does not incorporate the new AI (which has some large flaws in the state it's in), the disciples spawned by Acheron, or a few other things.

Hmm, thanks. That's why I was asking, actually...I need that new AI! I can live without the disciples, but the other changes were pretty important.

I've tried several times to download the main file for Orbis (Orbis setup 1.0.exe) and it is not available. No results on Google either. Does anyone have an alternate location/host?

Hmm, thanks. That's why I was asking, actually...I need that new AI! I can live without the disciples, but the other changes were pretty important.
Lack of good AI is the biggest fault of Orbis IMHO

I've tried several times to download the main file for Orbis (Orbis setup 1.0.exe) and it is not available. No results on Google either. Does anyone have an alternate location/host?

I'm having the same problem; it would be wonderful if an alternate download could be provided.

Technically, Orbis is a modmodmodmodmodmod. It goes like this- Civ-Civ4-BTS-FfH-FfH2-Orbis-Orbis-Orbis1.0b. Too complicated!

It used to work like this, now Orbis, like all major mods, is standalone. It's Civ4bts, then Orbis and Orbis patch. No more complicated then normal FfH, or any other mod :)

Did have a problem, but not anymore. Great game by the way, just so this post isn't completely useless.

recently i played a lot FFH, now i want to try Orbis

Actually the version is Orbis 1.0 with patch b?

Whats with that quickfix Elemental unity?

Top Bottom