Update: Released v9, the biggest jump in AI combat abilities yet
Hi, this mod will be an ongoing project that attempts to make the Civ VI AI more competitive.
During this project I'll try to maintain the following points as a design philosophy:
- Stick almost entirely to changes that only impact the AI without impacting the larger game.
- No changes to the AI difficulty bonuses
- Improve the AI's ability to win without using cheesy strategies that reduce game enjoyment, such as all players declaring war on the player the moment they meet him.
- Maintain and improve upon the 'flavor' of the AI through distinct personalities and playstyles.
There's unfortunately a few strong limitations on this work. The worst is of course that we have no access to the game code, so most of what I can do is working within the system that Firaxis designed.
On top of that, testing changes out takes extremely long so changes will be slow. Also, since the game hasn't been out for long, I have no complete picture of game balance yet.
So any feedback on AI behavior and balance both with and without this mod is greatly appreciated.
What horrible mistakes is it making? What strategies should it really be following? What techs to beeline? Information on slower game speeds and later eras is especially useful, as most of my testing is done between ancient and renaissance on standard/quick.
So far you can expect this:
- The ability of the AI to wage aggressive wars. Mostly in terms of actually getting its troops there and having it do more than stare at your cities.
- Settle behavior, it now settles more appropriate locations in better amounts (more) and settlers don't run around for 500 years before settling somewhere (it is now 100 years).
- Tuning on the AI's production choices. With extra changes based on whether it's at war, or under siege. Whether it has a religion, what difficulty setting we're on, etc.
- Leaders now have more distinct personalities when it comes to district/building/unit/etc choices.
- Many other small improvements.
At this point, the AI feel will more solid than that in the base game, but still comes nowhere close to being on the level of actual players. It's in the same lague as the unmodded Civ V AI now, with different weaknesses and strengths. It'll still be easier though, since the AI bonuses are much lower in Civ VI.
The changelog (technical details can be found in the files, there are too many to discuss them here):
Note: This mod is still in its infancy, so please be aware you you may encounter strange issues that weren't in vanilla.
It also can end up behaving badly with other mods that impact the AI, and mods that impact some game aspects like production costs.
Get the mod here:
AI+ - AI Improvements for Civ VI
To install, unpack the file into:
My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods
(So that it now contains the folder AI+)
Then launch the game, select Additional Content and put a tick on AI+. The next time you launch your game this mod will be loaded. I wouldn't recommend loading old games if you install or update this, it can cause crashes.
To update from an old version, make sure to close the game completely first, and then redo the tick on AI+ again after replacing the files.
We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.Dismiss Notice
All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.Dismiss Notice
To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.Dismiss Notice
- Dismiss Notice
Attention Modders! Please check out this thread about adding resource and linking discussion thread in our new Resource Manager.Dismiss Notice
Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.Dismiss Notice
AI Improvements for Civ VI